Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What i know about America...

Default What i know about America...

...really couldn't fill a thimble. Which is smaller than a cup, if you didn't know.

So hypothetically, if i were to take a week's Holiday to the USA, where would be the best place to go? I'm not sure about Florida, because i can't really afford to go to places like Disneyworld and Universal, so i'd want to go somewhere where there's lots of cheap, touristy, fun. I'd be renting a car, so traveling shouldn't be a big issue, but i'd be on a tight budget.

What's a nice state with fairly hot weather? Preferably on the East coast, because a flight to the west coast costs a whole lot more. Unless you can justify it.

Warning: If this turns into a 'My state is better than yours' or a 'southerners are all inbred rednecks' kinda thread then I'll lock it so fast they'll be comparing it to one of Chuck Norris' roundhouse kicks.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: What i know about America...

Midwest to west I could help you more.

Depending on the time of year you want to travel, check out Washington DC. The Smithsonian is there as well as the air and space museum and TONS of other cultural things to do. More of a us history tour than anything else. NY is great in the summer and I _hear_ upstate NY is just gorgeous! Long Island is cool to check out and downtown NY is something everyone should see once in their life, but it is just a big city, although very impressive. I hear they have a few polite peeps there too...

Florida is not that bad in the north. Some cool things to check out and if you make the trip to the Keys you won't be disappointed. I never really found that much to do in Alabama or Louisiana so not too helpful on that one.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Ah, just realized Washington and Washington DC are different places.

Personally i wouldn't mind New York, but what's the weather like there?

Culture is my cup of Tea but not my Girlfriends. She needs sunshine and low-brow entertainment. I want a place that will keep us both happy!

-Dave

Depends on the time of year. Cold and wet right now (although that wetness is probably frozen...). What month are you planning your travels?

Yes, Washington D.C. is not a _real_ state. D.C. = District of Columbia. Must be some legal thing that you can not practice random acts of bull**** and hostility towards your constituents if you are in one of the 50 states...

Low Brow entertainment = New Jersey... Hehe JK, I loved NJ when I was there, until I got turned around in the wrong neighborhood. Reminded me of the bridge scene in Escape From New York! They have a couple of nice Boardwalks there too with the usual wooden coasters (they still there Crimson?), and Carnies...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fairgrounds and stuff sounds good.

It would be for a week in Late May, just before the start of June, if i was taking a Holiday.

-Dave

Northeast Ohio. Not much else here other than me. Weather? Don't like it? Well, wait 5 minutes it'll change. The only thing we have good is Cleveland isn't far away. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is there, and we have 2 amusement parks close. Geauga Lake (1 hour away) and Cedar Point (about 2 hours away). I'll get ya a good deal on a rental car. I used to work for Hertz. Never been to NYC, but it would be cool to go. If nothing else, then to catch lunch with Crimson. Washington DC is cool lots of free stuff to see and do. My favorite BBQ joint is there. I lived there for a year. Florida and Disney World is a fun place, but you need a few days in each park to see everything. Other than that, the west coast is where it's at!

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

I definitely recoemend NYC. I think you'd enjoy seeing a show on broadway - anything you see will be a amazing. They've also got some great food. New York really has entertainment for everyone, there is no way that there's nothing your girlfriend will like in NYC - its got a whole lot to offer.

Then, you could drive down to Philly (only about a 1.5 - 2 hour drive) and we could have that meeting us east coasters have been planning.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

NYCity for sure...there are plenty of bed&breakfast type places that are reasonable if you are staying for a few days. Springtime is just great in the city. NY City is a walking/hiking city--you can cover the entire island in a day's walk, experienceing things like never before. Its the center of the world.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 01-26-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Florida? Pft. Come to Massachusetts. Maybe visit Boston. And then come visit me!

Life is like an analogy...

the oregon coast is very interesting for a drive. its especially interesting for us geologist because of all the fissile rock faces that have a tendency to drop boulders on the traffic. its a rare occurrence, so not too much to worry about. i think they've bolted a lot of the hazard rocks back into the cliff.

the grand canyon and petrified forest are cool too. you're literally looking back millions and even billions of years.

you really need more than a week to see the good stuff. of course... my idea of the good stuff has nothing to do with people... i dont give a damn about places like disneyland... too busy and too cheesy.

another thing i would suggest is checking out canada too, especially BC. its no further than the US to get to. pay a visit to the rockies and the burgess shale, or you can go to the okanagan and fiddle around with rattlesnakes, or you can stick to the coast where i am because there is plenty of stuff in vancouver. i would just advise making the trip in mid summer because theres really no guarantee about the weather around here, but summer gives the best chance of not raining.

just one thing... if you come to BC, specifically vancouver, for god sake stay away from the sea-to-sky highway. so many people kill themselves there every year because its just a bad place for a road. in case you're wondering, that is going to the road to the 2010 winter olympics here... genius. they're fixing the whole thing up right now, but its still just a BAD idea.
    Last edited by Slug Toy; 01-26-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it