Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't figure out the problem

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Can't figure out the problem

I added to the additional memory I had.....and yes.....it's up to it's old tricks again. It's no where near as bad, but it takes about 10 boot ups to get running. Remind to never ride a Microsoft plane if one ever exists.

Sounds like a memory problem to me, XP is really funny about memory. Have your tried a diff stick? (It maybe the right type, but could still be faulty)

If this aint the problem, try a diff PSU. Ensure you have the latest (pref not Beta) BIOS and its setup correctly (not meant as an insult, but I don't know how much you know).

As for the hard drive, download the manufacturers diagnostic software, most create a bootable floppy and do the full surface scan. (You might want to go watch some TV etc.....)

If not post some more info.

Good Luck
    Sarcasm - Is only one of the services I offer.

There are two main causes for problems with win XP.

1. Not enough RAM or two sticks of RAM that don't like each other. Always go for a matched pair, just two sticks of the same type is not enough.

2. You have somehow offended the BILL and now he has initiated Stage 1 of program BUBBLE OS VENDETTA. You can expect Stage 2 to begin shortly so if any pets or loved ones go missing in the next 2-6 weeks do not be surprised and do not expect them to return. After that, stage 3, I'd be carefull where you leave your toothbrush.

So basically if it is the latter, you have about 6 and a half weeks untill the BILL terminates your existance, I hope for your sake its just the ram
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

I have decided,u r seriously screwed up. lol
    hope u can get it workin. i am haveing problems at the moment as well good luck
    "Hey look, the topic!! It's getting away! Quick catch it! *running* Must *running more* get on *panting* TOP...IC!!!! *collapses* "-Temmink
    Intel Q9450 @ 3.2GHz
    Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi
    OCZ Platinum PC3-12800 1600Mhz XTC 4Gb 7-7-7-24
    2 x Powercolor HD4870 512Mb in Crossfire
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Noctua 120mm 1300RPM Pressure Optimised Fan
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit w/ SP1

Fresh Paint

it was the memory. it's all better now. thanx for the concern and help guys!!!

I was just going to post that I've had a very similar experience recently, and it was due to damaged RAM. When I ran Memtest, one stick would run all day with no errors. The other would go until it reached 0.43%, by which time it had over 1000 errors. Sent it in to get RMA'd and am waiting a response.