Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To: Killer Airbrush Flame Technique

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Default How To: Killer Airbrush Flame Technique

How to Airbrush Wicked Cool Flames

I would just like to share my technique for airbrushing realistic flames. I don't dare take credit for this technique, I learned it from the internet in a tutorial just like this.

• What you need
    • Setup
    • Painting steps
    • Clearcoat

What you need:
    • Airbrush, I use an Iwata Eclipse CS
    • Compressor, I have a run of the mill Craftsman 3 gal 1hp
    • Airbrush paint, I use Auto Air airbrush paint
    • Stencils, I just use some drawing stencils from Wal Mart, the curvy ones are called French Curves
    • Waterproof Sandpaper, for preperation
    • Base Color Paint, I use Duplicolor enamel spray paint
    • Clearcoat, I use Duplicolor Enamel Spray Paint

Setup:

My last computer case was a Soyo Dragon. I had painted it black and silver a long time ago. All I had to do was sand down the clearcoat to have a good smooth base to work with. If your starting from scratch I would sand with 600 grit, prime, then sand with 600 grit, lay down the base color(black works best with flames), then sand lightly with 1000 grit for a smooth surface.

Heres the case before.

Here I'm wet sanding with 1000 grit. I've added a drop or two of dishwashing detergent to make the sandpaper slide even smoother.

Painting Steps:

Ok we're ready to start. I start with Transparent Red and lay down the outline of the flames. I do this totally freehand. You can draw some guidelines but I think it's a waste of time. This layer will almost totally be covered up eventually.

Then I go over the the red with Candy Red. This is a good place to explain Candy Colors. Candy Colors are very transparent, even more than Transparent Colors. You use them to make a color really deep. Like deep blue or red.

Candy colors don't show up on top of black, so don't worry about spill over.

Here's the Candy Red

Default Re: How To: Killer Airbrush Flame Technique

Alright, lets start highlighting.

Bust out the French Curve Stencil and cover up the holes in the middle with tape (I figured this out the hard way, I couldn't figure out why there were faint circles all over my project.). Make sure to not cover the edge with tape. Even a little edge of tape will make the edge jagged and is really noticeable.

Now start to highlight the outline and start building the edges of the flames.

I'm using Transparent Orange mixed with a Little Opaque White. It looks a little weird, don't worry the Candy Color will deepen it.

Time to bring in the first Candy Color.

Candy Orange all of the highlights.

Now we're jammin.

Now I go back and highlight some more with a really bright yellow. I use Transparent Yellow mixed with a little Opaque White.

Notice how I continue to build the flames and highlight the parts I think will look cool. Remember these are the parts that are going to be orange in the end.

Then I go back with Candy Orange.

This is as I'm laying down the Candy Orange

Now I highlight one more last time with bright yellow (I use Candy Yellow mixed with alot of Opaque White). Remember this is the final highlight color, so you want it to be almost all white. But white is a nightmare, so tone it down a little with the Candy Yellow.

Then I went over the highlights with candy yellow.

Last step was just a little touch up work with some Transparent Black, then Transparent Red. This is just to cover up any slips you made. This is not a critical step.

Here's what you got. It looks deceivingly flat. Don't sweat it, the clearcoat will bring it all together.

Last step.

The Clearcoat. I used like 4 coats of Duplicolor Clear Enamel Spray Paint.

Since Duplicolor has such finicky re-coat times. I just lay a ton down then sand and buff it out at the end of a week. I do this instead of waiting a week to put another coat on.

Here's the Clearcoat.

In conclusion. I've learned a couple of things.
    • Start out highlighting the base of the flames.
    • Then once your comfortable with what the flames should look like. Then start overlapping and having them kick backwards.
    • Don't use the same curve on the stencil too much in one area. You can tell you were getting lazy.
    • Don't worry about small mistakes, you can cover them up in the next layer.

Take it easy.

thank you so much for the tutorial bro! i've seen a couple tuts online but this is WAY easier to follow. +rep for the help
    Check Black Friday November and Stater Bros Ad.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 08:01 PM.

ATX Mental Case

Thnx for the tut man.

Also what colour chart do you use for the auto air? and enamels?

Drac,

What color chart are you talkin about?

The colors I capitalized in the tutorial are the actual color titles. For example. Transparent Orange, Candy Red(really Candy Bright Red), Opaque White, etc...

Please let me know if your having trouble finding actual colors. I can point you in the right direction. I just found a great new online supplier(no affiliation).

Also for everyone. Please feel free to ask questions.....