Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LED's and Resistors Guide

Default Re: LED's and Resistors Guide

Quote Originally Posted by humanentropy
    http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=leds.5mm i cant find the current rating.
    Top of the list, Iv@20mA, so they're all measured at 20mA.

ah, cool thx!

what do they do about samples? im confused. you have to pay for them? then how are they samples?

According to http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=samples

"This new samples policy was necessary to reduce the huge amount spent every year on samples. Thanks for understanding."

So basically, they no longer give them away.

[QUOTE=Nagoshi]......But this circuit can be a bit more dangerous, if you happen to make a shortcircuit error (like removing a light and just tie the wires together), if you ahve nothing on the circuit that will eat a bit of power then itll shorten.
    ....[QUOTE]

I done this, well atleast i heat shrinked it, and got a super bright LED that matched my power supply, but hay, for an LED, the worst that can happen is you put too mush beans through it, and you fry it,

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Overclocked

YEa.. but I was giving the explanations for the circuit, not on the led.. try the same thing on 120v or 240v, good luck if you're still alive after it explodes in your face..

Altho Im pretty sure the circuit is by some way ''protected'' on the motherboard or in the power-supply.

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

thanks even i understand that it that doing something lol

Question Re: LED's and Resistors Guide

Okay, so I've got:

2x Red LED's @ 2.6VDC/28mA
    2x Yellow LED's @ 3.0VDC/20mA

How do I wire up these guys, what would be better Parallel or Series, and do I need to account for the resistance and Volt droppage of the Molex/Wire in this or do we just ignore that?

Thanks!

Oh, and if anybody could explain the equation I need to use I'd appreciate it. I haven't taken electronics since I did a semester at ITT 14 years ago and I'm pretty rusty.

While I've been lurking around for weeks now, I just registered and this is my first post so, "HI!"

Edit: After thinking about this, since two of my LEDs require different current I think I need to run my Red LED's in Series and my Yellow LED's in Series, and then run the two different colors in Parallel to the 12V power source, since I don't think 5V or 7V can push this. Is that right?
    Last edited by Nameless; 10-03-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Adding more information...
    'I weep for noone, and noone weeps for me.'

Welcome to the forums, for getting your resistances just put your figures into this calculator: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
    It would be better to wire them in paralell (although you wont notice any diference in just two) and whatever the calculator gives you for one led you can use that to power the whole circuit as 2 LEDS wont draw much
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    Welcome to the forums, for getting your resistances just put your figures into this calculator: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
    It would be better to wire them in paralell (although you wont notice any diference in just two) and whatever the calculator gives you for one led you can use that to power the whole circuit as 2 LEDS wont draw much
    Well I get that part, I'm just trying to figure out of the it's going to matter that the Voltage and mA's for each of the two different LEDs is going to be an issue. I assume it's going to make the calculations a little more complicated since I can't find a calculator that tells me the diagram for wiring LEDs with different voltage draws and current requirements.
    'I weep for noone, and noone weeps for me.'

I wouldnt worry at all about that, it would come into play only if you had a large amount of leds. If I was doing it I'd just wire them all up to a 47ohm resistor on the 5v line
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.