Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Really Old TV???

Default Re: Really Old TV???

The idea with the old TV is brilliant! Little LCD? I have bought my 5-incher at ebay.

Here it is:

The real question that is in my mind is do I refinish it or just use something like old english to clean it up? You can see that the top looks a bit messed up.

Also, I was thinking of either a door on the front (for my dvd drive) or just making them discrete and have a button somewhere else to open it.

This will be a lot of fun!

Anodized

nice find man, i have been wanting to put a computer in an antique electronic for a while. i think that you should try and keep the design as stealth as possible. i love the look of that tv.

and there should deff. be a little lcd screen in that. it is screaming for one. you can pic one up online or on ebay for around 250$can i personally recommend Lilliput, or xenarc if you are pushing for better quality. however, there are a ton of brands out there.

maybe you could get a laptop slot load and cut a little inconspicuose slot somewhere. then you could keep the cloth grill.

good luck!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikaelsnavy View Post
    The real question that is in my mind is do I refinish it or just use something like old english to clean it up? You can see that the top looks a bit messed up.
    Refinishing can be a PITA. I've got a dresser that needs to be redone(maybe this summer, who knows). Personally, I'd go with the Olde English for now, maybe try your hands @ refinishing on some other small items before tackling this.

Excellent find, +rep and /subscribe from me as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Dude, that beautiful acquisition, is TV works? I sincerely would not have courage of accomplishing a mod in this TV, I adore these old things. :p

I have something similar. Looks fantastic. I say do it. Like others have said, I would see if Old English works. It probably won't, or the finish will be mottled, but try it. Then refinish it to get a consistent finish.

Now here is the question I REALLY need some input on...

Do I make it look as much as the origional old TV as I can or do I put in a windows and some cool lighted fans??????

I have no real creative talent, so I would love the imput.

Anodized

personally i love the look of stealth designs, and i love the look of vintage electronics even more. i think the mixing of two looks so many yeasr apart might not turn out. just my .02

Austral Alien

I would leave it looking as stock as possible.
    That front speaker mesh could hide a fan, and another at the back so airflow and tempratures are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I would advise, to keep the look as original as possible. That means no visible holes for fans and no lights. But be aware of the temperature, I had the same problem with my Osborne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I would leave it looking as stock as possible.
    That front speaker mesh could hide a fan, and another at the back so airflow and tempratures are good.
    Good idea.