Thread: Cyber Pack

Default Cyber Pack

Good morning ladies and gentleman.

OH ok, good morning gentleman. And if we have any ladies here, good morning as well.

So I'm thinking this is going to be the route of my next project, but I'm still not sure what I want to incorporate, so I figured why not throw it up in the idea zone and see what the brilliant modder of TBCS can come up with.

Ok, well as you may know I'm heading off to college in about 6 months, and will be forced to leave my tools and workshop behind. When I leave I'm going to be getting a new laptop in addition to my current one. I figure I'll be using this thing alot at college, so I'm going to need a way to carry it around. Kinda like a backpack, only sexier..because face it..a modder with a regular old backpack...thats kinda lame (no offense to anyone without a pimped out pack). And since my current backpack is falling apart after 2 years I need a new one. But looking around theres not much out there besides the "laptop pouch" or the über high end model with built in 5 cent speakers. I got all upset "I'll never find a backpack I like" *crys for hours*

Then it hits me....why not build one?!

So I'm still working on the design and proportions and what not. But the design is also based on what I want inside. Obviously this isn't going to be your average backpack. It must be:

• Lightweight
    • Sleek
    • Sexy

Ok, its going to have an aluminium frame to protect my laptop(s) and the other hardware. I would also like to incorporate some sort of rechargeable battery to charge my laptop from. I'm thinking a lead-acid battery because of its rechargablility without loosing much strength. I'll have to figure out how to make it put out either 12V and then run that to a power inverter that will convert it to 120V and the laptop power converter to put out the 15-24V needed for my Toshiba laptop. OR I will need to figure out a circuit to convert the 12V battery put out 15-24V at 4.3A.

Since I will be in Arizona and in the sun almost constantly, I'm also researching the possibility of hooking the lead-acid battery to a solar panel on the top of the bag, to further extend battery life.

In addition to these I would also like to be able to access the laptop to take notes on...here's the catch..without taking it out of the pack. This means USB LCD to display what I am typing and then a way to save this to the HDD. I will probably need help with the coding aspect to this because I know nothing.

But what good is that LCD with out a way to enter text? Here I have 3 choices.

First choice is a foldable/water resistant keyboard. This is nice because it can be stored in a small space and is very resilient to any abuse.

Second option is a small IR keyboard. This is nice because it lacks wires and is solid so I could even type while on a bus or walking around. The downside is it is the largest of my 3 options and space is at a premium.

The final and most sexy and most expensive option is the Bluetooth Laser virtual keyboard. This is perfect because it is lightweight, is the size of a box of cards, while still offering a full keyboard. But its is about $100 more than either of my other options, and I just don't have the money right now.

Thats about as far as I've gotten. I'm also planning on tying in some other things such as a WiFi sniffer, super bright LED flashlight on the shoulder strap. Microphone and speakers.

Any more ideas or input about the design so far would be greatly appreciated.

Austral Alien

Default Re: Cyber Pack

Lead acid batteries are heavy and you don't want to spill any acid either. I doubt this bag would always stay right way up.
    Perhaps a couple of smaller gel-cell batteries, giving you the voltage you need to power/charge the laptop.
    It would extend the working like considerably and when in your dorm room, just plug in a charger to them.
    They can work on any angle and won't leak.
    The space you save by not having an inverter can be used for either a slightly bigger battery, or just more storage space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Overclocked

Actually... get a low-power consumption laptop, and mod your battery so that it has like 18 (or more) cells instead of 6/9.

That's classified.

I have the perfect design...in my head. I was thinking something similar the the pack the soldiers wear in the movie "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within". Also, in that movie, there's a "computer thing" on Aki's arm that you could probably make but instead use a small screen and bendable keypad/trackball instead of a hologram. lol

For shape a 3d "trapezoidal" design would work best unless you are good at rounding aluminum. Once again, I suggest watching that movie because it will inspire your ideas.

EDIT: Sorry, but I can't find a better picture besides this one

That's classified.

Sorry to double post, but I wanted to know if this idea was scrapped or you just forgot about it...