Thread: Old Laptop

Default Old Laptop

I have an old laptop I just found. It was my mom's work laptop for a while, and it hasn't been used in ~7 years, so she said I could use it. It doesn't boot into anything, though everything is working. I tried to install Ubuntu and Gentoo, but then realized, duh, it probably doesn't boot from CD. So I found a bootable Linux floppy (Hal91). It works!

So as far as I'm concerned, I have 2 options.

1. Use Hal91 to install Gentoo.
    2. Use the screen in CS:S (if my mom permits). How hard would this be? I imagine not too bad.

What should I do? Save money on a screen and use this, or have another computer to mess with?
    RIP Bucko

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Old Laptop

If it's that old, it'd be great for word processing, surfing the web (well, kinda... it's probably slow, right?), or for a screen like you suggested... it depends on what you'd use it most for... if you wouldn't use it much with Linux on it, just use it as a screen.

-Anthony

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Gut the inside of it buy a waffle iron transplant it inside the laptop and have the ultimate case mod.
    Need a sig

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    Gut the inside of it buy a waffle iron transplant it inside the laptop and have the ultimate case mod.

Dude, that would be awesome... if you're up to it, that would be awesome... and if your mom lets you.

-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    2. Use the screen in CS:S (if my mom permits). How hard would this be? I imagine not too bad.
    Unfortunately it is pretty difficult. Check out this post. It has several links to threads where this has been proposed before. Bottom line is it would be cheaper to just buy a new monitor and gut it, rather then buy what it will take to convert a laptop screen.

If your Mom does let you have free reign with the laptop, here is a pretty neat project for a lappy that doesn't have alot of umph any more.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=98796