Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Default Re: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

One last pic for the night. I wanted to show you just how much easier it is to use a interlocking mitre router bit. The corners look great but look at how accurate they are.

Its important to keep 90 degree corners and this bit does just that with ease.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Custom Title Honors tribaloverkill's Avatar

Damn,... I cant see the pics beause I'm at work. I'll check this out later
    Copyright.

Then disaster strikes. The bottom of the case hit the floor and broke. I can't believe this but all is not lost. Since I was in the middle of the glue up then maybe I could add a couple of clamps and glue the crack. And the good news is that it is the bottom and the crack won't show all is ok.

I wanted to give you a idea with this type of glue the process it requires. You have to wet down both sides of the wood to activate the glue.

I was trying to take more pics but when the bottom broke I quit with the camera and worked as quickly as I could to get the parts together before the glue activated.
    Sorry...
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

I took the case out of the clamps this morning. Every looks great. Now some removal of the glue and sanding and this thing is ready for some more action.

The bottom glued up nicely. I am happy with the results. Here is a pic of the repair on the bottom board.

:thumbsup:
    Things are coming together nicely. I am beginning to see the fruits of my labor. I have to make the trim for the unit. All the molding will be homemade. I have several bits to chose from for the design of the molding. The case will be modular to remove it from the pump housing for any repairs necessary. That will require me to put 4 of the brass inserts to screw the case to the pump housing. I will be cutting a rabbet cut on the sides. This will allow a shoulder to put Plexiglas covers on the sides. The door will be a raised panel door with the 3 barrel hinges to access the drives. I plan several custom grills for the fan openings. So this is the beginning of lots of fun.

I wanted to get back to you with the rig I used for some of this work.
    Here is the router bit in the router / lift combo. The dial to the right allows for adjusting the bit height. The throat plate is zero clearance for best cutting without tear out

The router below the table is the Porter Cable 7815 3.25 horse power with the speed adjustments. Its a real work horse.

The fence is a Freud with micro adjustments for correct positioning of the fences. They can be adjusted together or independent of each other.

And this is the entire setup. There is a remote on off switch wired to the router for ease of power control, and its on locking casters to move it around when needed.

Custom Title Honors tribaloverkill's Avatar

friggin awesome job dude. I need a better a router. Mine is crap. The actual blades have a wobble to then when they spin Router is messed up or something,...
    Copyright.

The next set of router bits are the raised panel for the door. I have a great collection of bits. The router tends to be one of the most versatile tools in the wood shop.

Quote Originally Posted by tribaloverkill View Post
    friggin awesome job dude. I need a better a router. Mine is crap. The actual blades have a wobble to then when they spin Router is messed up or something,...
    These things can cut plastics too. I can't imagine working without one. Thank you Tribaloverkill. I have been following your post closely.

Did some sanding today to get this unit ready for the next phase of the work. I am really pleased as to how this is turning out.

I had told you of other projects I have done in wood working. New Yankee Workshop is my favorite show. I did 4 of Norms jewelry cases. Here is a picture with 2 of them.

(All 4 are in this picture you just can't see them very plainly! They are behind the one with the lid open) LOL

All of the drawers are dovetailed. All 4 cases are alike and difficult to tell apart. It was the first time I ever tried dovetails. But after 3 years they still are not stained. My wife insisted that she stain them. I have to wait to put the mirrors on the tops inside of home made trim.