Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Default Re: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Sorry I have been away so long. With the passing of my mother I have so much to deal with. I have been working on my basement to get that ready for my new office. Today I jumped back into the case and got the pump housing glued and sanded. With all the work in my basement, I've misplaced my battery charger and my camera batteries are dead. No fear though I will get some tomorrow and send pics of the work. Its good to be working with my hands again on something I enjoy besides wiring/drilling tapcons into concrete/mounting studs/and cutting bead board!
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

sorry about the passing of your mother.

Your mod is looking great though mate, this is very professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tale Gunner View Post
    Sorry I have been away so long. With the passing of my mother I have so much to deal with. I have been working on my basement to get that ready for my new office. Today I jumped back into the case and got the pump housing glued and sanded. With all the work in my basement, I've misplaced my battery charger and my camera batteries are dead. No fear though I will get some tomorrow and send pics of the work. Its good to be working with my hands again on something I enjoy besides wiring/drilling tapcons into concrete/mounting studs/and cutting bead board!
    Hey man, don't worry about it. With the passing of a family member, don't feel you need to even post a notice on why you were gone. That's some tough stuff, so it's ok you haven't been here. I am glad to hear you started working again! This is such a cool mod! My best wishes go out to you and your family, and I can't wait to see what you've done!
    RIP Bucko

TG-

Very sorry to hear about your loss. You have our sympathies and support, the mod can wait.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

Hey, there's no need to apologise for being away so long...take care of your family business first. I'm very sorry for your loss. It will be great to see how this one comes out though. Good luck with everything! Where in Ohio are your from?
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Thanks all for your understanding. I really appreciate your kind thoughts. I have started back and have the pump housing ready for viewing.

The case will consist of the boards laying on top of the pump house. I took time to show you the steps to getting here.

First the glue up shown earlier in the work log. When removing the wood from the clamps, you find the next picture.

Then its best to scrape off the excess glue. I used a paint scraper to remove most of the excess glue. I am using a polymer glue (Gorilla Glue). This glue is activated by water. The water causes the glue to foam. Thats what you are seeing here.

You can see after removing most of the glue it still has a residual amount left. You can use many tools to remove the small amount left behind. From a palm sander to a planer the list is endless. I chose the palm sander because I did not want to change the thickness of the boards. Belt sanders are great here but they can remove to much material and change the thickness if the boards or make the boards uneven.

Now we are talking. We have 4 boards ready to be prepared to build the case.

Here is the pump house all by itself.

One small accident here. Its difficult to see but between the two holes I have developed a crack. I will glue and clamp this for repair but not to worry it will not show. I will be working on this some more in the days to come. Stay tuned for more.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Boy did I get the cart in front of the horse here. I wanted to show you how I got the cut out for the power supply in the rear of the pump housing.
    I took an old case with a power supply cut out that matched the size of my power supply. Note that most all of the cases out there have the same power supply opening but there are some with their own PS that requires you to purchase their PS vise going out and getting a replacement power supply.

I traced this outline onto the board to be cut. Now taking a 1/2" drill bit I drilled 4 holes in the corners of the wood about 1/4" away from the line. I took my father-in-laws DeWalt scroll saw and cut the opening staying at lease 1/4" away from the line. Then I used the drill press to drill the mounting holes for the Power Supply. This was necessary for accuracy. On the inside I drilled a recess to allow for a nut to be inlaid so that the wood could lie flat against the table top of my router table. Using a tall flush cutting bit seen here,

I set up the table to cut out the opening by attaching the old case to the board. With the bearing riding against the metal case, the flush cutting bit made the opening in the board exactly like the one from the case.

It sounds harder then it really was and only took about 1.5 hours to go through the whole process. I will be doing this again for the case PS so I will be taking more pictures of the entire process to show everyone.

That case is going to look beautiful!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

great work man, it looks AWESOME !

+rep

LOUD AND PROUD !

Quote Originally Posted by dfigravity View Post
    Hey, there's no need to apologise for being away so long...take care of your family business first. I'm very sorry for your loss. It will be great to see how this one comes out though. Good luck with everything! Where in Ohio are your from?
    Lancaster, Ohio