Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Default Re: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Quote Originally Posted by tribaloverkill View Post
    I like you! LOOK AT ALL THEM TOOLS AND MACHINES!!! I'm jealous I want mine. I like your table saw and router table. Thats nice. Good job man!
    Thanks. The table saw is about 22 years old and I'm looking to get a new Stop Saw that would replace it. But I have kept it in good shape and it followed me around while I was in the Navy.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Are you going to put some trim around the optical/floppy housings?

Personally, I would put some dark wood trim there, but that's just me.

+rep, this is coming along very nicely!

Yes I plan to make custom trim to go around the drive cases. Also plan to do a custom fan grill with the logo from this forum as long as I get permission from the admin. I love dark trim so don't be surprised if you see some here.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Damn, that wood is gorgeous and you're doing great things with it. Keep it up.
    +Rep
    Thank you. I plan to show some new progress the week of Memorial day. I have vacation that week.

The button for reset and power presented a little problem when it came to 3/4" cherry. The button was shorter then the thickness of the board.

So I measured the nut to see how big of hole it would take to allow me to mount the button. I used a 1" forstner drill bit to drill down to allow the shaft of the button to protrude through.

Above you can see a test drilling on a scrap board to see what it would take to mount this switch. Note that this board was only 5/8" but it still would give me valuable practice prior to drilling the cherry.

Using my drill press for accuracy I set up to drill the first half of the hole.

Make the first drill pass.

All the measurements were drawn on the board to set up the drilling.
    Once I had the drill for the nut it was time to drill the rest of the hole.
    Note the indentation in the center of the hole. I would use this to drill the same exact center for the smaller hole holding the shaft of the button.

Here I am drilling the second half of the hole. This is a 3/4" forstner drill bit. There is a small piece of wood under the face plate to prevent tear out.

Here are the holes with a shoulder to allow the button to attached to the face plate.

All that was left to do was to mount the button to the face plate and attach the nuts to test the design.

The next step will be to recess the drive cage into the face plate.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Looking great my friend! This case has been a pleasure to watch, as I am very much into woodworking and cherry is such a beautiful wood. Great job!
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis View Post
    Looking great my friend! This case has been a pleasure to watch, as I am very much into woodworking and cherry is such a beautiful wood. Great job!
    Thank you. The real work is just around the corner. I have to get all the inlays done prior to any glue up. The bottom has to be cut out to allow for air flow, water and electrical connections.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Wow, your adding inlays to the case? Very cool! What sort of inlays will you be adding? Also, how do you plan on finishing the case? Cherry is such a beautiful wood I personally just like to rub it down with linseed oil.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis View Post
    Wow, your adding inlays to the case? Very cool! What sort of inlays will you be adding? Also, how do you plan on finishing the case? Cherry is such a beautiful wood I personally just like to rub it down with linseed oil.
    Not finished with the drawings yet but I will post them at completion of the cad files. The will be hand done provided that time permits,

Really nice work unless the fact that I dislike wood for computer cases (moisture stays inside the case) it's an incredilble work and cant wait to see the final results
    +rep

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    Really nice work unless the fact that I dislike wood for computer cases (moisture stays inside the case) it's an incredilble work and cant wait to see the final results
    +rep
    I have never had that problem with moisture, if the case is adequately vented. There are case fans to keep the air cirulating. There is also a maintenance switch to keep the fans running even after shutting down.