Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Default Re: Cherry wood Case with water cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Tale Gunner View Post
    ViewSonic 22" VX2235
    Have you thought about making some trim to go on the outside frame of the LCD? Something like corner bead you can buy in a store?

Side note: I work at an airport which has some old hangers that are being demolished. All wood construction, some of the beams have to be 8" x 36" BC fir. Don't know why, but it pains me to see them being ripped down without a thought being put into salvaging anything. I see diver's that are bring up old logs from the bottom of rivers, why can't the salvage this stuff makes me shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by moon111 View Post
    Have you thought about making some trim to go on the outside frame of the LCD? Something like corner bead you can buy in a store?

Side note: I work at an airport which has some old hangers that are being demolished. All wood construction, some of the beams have to be 8" x 36" BC fir. Don't know why, but it pains me to see them being ripped down without a thought being put into salvaging anything. I see diver's that are bring up old logs from the bottom of rivers, why can't the salvage this stuff makes me shake my head.
    Not a bad suggestion. I will look into that after I finish the case. Thanks for your feedback. I'll take a stab with the cad files later.

As for the hangers I feel your pain too. I wish I could live close enough to get some of that wood. You never know what it can be turned into.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Today I had some extra time so it was to the wood shop for me. I started out to attach the motherboard tray to the rear of the case.

I used my router table to remove some of the wood to allow my tray to recess into the back. I needed to be careful as not to prevent access to the screws to hold my video cards, sound card and any peripheral cards.

Next I had to devise a way to lock the motherboard in place and allow for the plexiglass side cover. This was a challenge. After several prototypes I came up with this one.

It was routed to allow the different moldings on the tray to sit flush. It also allowed me to have the 1/4" plexiglass side cover without causing problems. Cutting that board was a little challenging and the blade scorched the board a slight bit but I can sand it clean.
    Now I had to attach the tray to the back board so I used brass inserts to hold my motherboard tray. I drilled 2 holes in the rear board on the lip I created earlier.

I used the tool to insert the brass "nut" into the wood.

This allows me to use a machine screw to hold the motherboard tray in place with 8-32 screws.

On the back side where the screws show through I will be putting trim, so I wasn't worried about looks yet. But I did not want the screws to extend beyond the wood.

Next I adjusted the router bit to only cut 1/16" of wood 5/16" wide to route for the drive cage. I needed to make the card cage flush.

Got to do some more work to keep this project moving.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Before I can consider assembly of the case I have to make sure that all penetrations are finished. The fan in the front panel is one. To cut a hole 3" you can either cut it with a hole saw and drill or you can use a drill press and a hole cutter like I did.

Its adjustable and can cut a very clean hole. I will need to locate and punch a starter location on the front panel.

Then its time to cut the hole. Because of the danger while the bit is spinning I could not take any photos. I made 2 passes with the hole cutter, one from the front and one from the rear. This device is so accurate that its difficult to see where they connected (other then the color difference).

The grill on the fan will be replaced with a custom grill made from .....Wood!

Well here are the pieces parts to this thing I call fun. This marks 1/3 finish, so theres so much more to come. Tomorrow I plan to drill the 3 holes for the hinges then its the top for a 120 MM fan. After that I open the bottom of the case to the pump housing. That should get me to routing the boards for a interlocking mitre and glue up.

Wow you accomplished a lot. Your woodworking skills are great. Good luck.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    Wow you accomplished a lot. Your woodworking skills are great. Good luck.
    Thank you. I love wood working and computers. It just seemed natural that I get them together. I have completed the barrel hinges and will post the pics later.

Not much accomplished today, my counter tops were measured for my office so most of the day I spent making sure the guys had everything they needed. But I did get the barrel hinges drilled and installed. Finding a 14 mm forstner bit proved unsuccessful so I converted to standard. (14mm = .05511 From there I looked for a close conversion. (9/16 in = .5625) That was about as close as I was going to get in this town so I ran over to the nearest hardware store and picked up a 9/16" drill bit. Even though the 9/16" bit was larger then I needed I knew that I could wrap the hinge with plumbers tape to make up the difference. It worked!

Then just for fun I put everything back on the front to see how everything was going to fit.

The door will swing to the right because of its location in my office. That's why you see all 3 hinges on the right hand side of the front. Now I have to make 2 more cuts to finish the major cutting prior to completing the routed locking mitre cuts to join the boards.

Update I just found out that the counter top installers cut several of my cat 5e lines in my office.

Quick update the counter top installers cut 2 of my cat 5e cables.
    Now I find out that the network com is blown in my wifes computer.

I plan to make this grill from wood and brass. The emblem will be back lit with blue led's