Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hiding ide's

ATX Mental Case

Default hiding ide's

any ideas on where to hide ide cables good? ive seen the method of just cutting and taping to make it circular but i was wondering what you guys had in mind, or what methods you have used to hide them.

Default Re: hiding ide's

I saw one photo (on here somewhere) with the drives turned round, such that the connectors are behind the front panel.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

i think that'd cause an issue with most ide cables, but in my case i took the ribbon and cut every 3rd wire, then taped it all together and put it inside some wire loom. just gotta cut between the actual wire where theres a small indent, i'll post a link to where i got the instructions in a minute.

little tip: if u accidentally cut into the wire itself, start from the other side and finish that cut, then just tape over the spot with some electrical tape.

edit: http://www.gruntville.com/howtos/rounded_cables/

Austral Alien

I bought some round, braided IDE cables at my local Computer shop for less than $10 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Cagedconnerman View Post
    i think that'd cause an issue with most ide cables, but in my case i took the ribbon and cut every 3rd wire, then taped it all together and put it inside some wire loom. just gotta cut between the actual wire where theres a small indent, i'll post a link to where i got the instructions in a minute.

little tip: if u accidentally cut into the wire itself, start from the other side and finish that cut, then just tape over the spot with some electrical tape.

edit: http://www.gruntville.com/howtos/rounded_cables/
    I did that, but I didn't shred the cable into pieces. I just folded it into thirds and taped it over.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I cut a little slit every few wires, and slowly ripped them down the middle. Then I stuffed them inside some split loom. Since the ends are big, and the ugly greyish-piss color still showed, I just took some black electrical tape and taped up the end.
    RIP Bucko

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

IF you dont have any split loom you can also use zip ties to keep them togethor. In the end it really doesnt look all that bad and it maintains a decent amount of flexibility. It makes them much easier to manage than split loom but split loom looks better.

Another option that doesnt involve cutting the cables is to just try to tuck them in places out of the way. What i try to do is run them along flat surfaces. Try not to twist them when changing direction but instead fold them so they stay flat. It's much more difficult to manage them than it would be if you rounded them. Sorry if that didnt make any sence im haveing a hard time explaing how you would want to fold them.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

ATX Mental Case

ok, thank you, ill try turning the hd's around that seems like a good idea, anybody remember what the post was?

ATX Mental Case

Standard ribbon IDE cables are incredibly flexible. I typically buy the longer ones so I have plenty of slack. It might seem counter-intuitive to buy longer cables, but if you try it you'll see what I mean. Some good places to hide IDE cables are behind the mobo itself, the other side of the case (if it has a door/panel on the other side), and behind the hard drive/5.25" drive cages.

Here are two of my cases with some cable management:

Quote Originally Posted by wingman358 View Post
    Standard ribbon IDE cables are incredibly flexible. I typically buy the longer ones so I have plenty of slack. It might seem counter-intuitive to buy longer cables, but if you try it you'll see what I mean. Some good places to hide IDE cables are behind the mobo itself, the other side of the case (if it has a door/panel on the other side), and behind the hard drive/5.25" drive cages.

Here are two of my cases with some cable management:

wingman gj on ure managament i have a thermaltake armor and i hide all of the spaghetti behind the mobo try there are these lil slots in the corner were they all go through

are you running 3 gfx cards!?!?!?
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha