Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase 2 Casemodding

Default Phase 2 Casemodding

Hello everyone

At this moment I've been working on my casemod Cubeleon for about two years. So the original design dates back to 2005. Since then I've learned a lot about casemodding and my way of designing en making parts also changed a lot. I always try to be original and I make pieces that take a lot of time.

Sometimes I just don't want to work on Cubeleon, so I started this project. There will be a lot of subprojects during time, which gives me the chance to het faster result en to finish a part within a few weeks/months I started making reservoirs, after being hooked by the incredible work of tribaloverkill.
    I came up with the name Phase 2 Casemodding because I want to go into another phase of casemodding. I want parts to be made by people themselves, instead of them just buying parts. I don't think I will start another phase of modding, but at least I've tried then The name also comes from the second phase of water, the liquid phase. I begin this project with two reservoirs, but I don't know if I will ever make parts that aren't used for watercooling. We'll see

With these reservoirs, I wanted to use plexiglass on a different way than it's used normally. If someone is using plexi in het casemod, most times it's just as a second layer between the case and, for example, a fan grill. I don't say it doesn't look nice, I'm using it too, but I'm getting a little bored by that by now. So I'm looking for new ways to use it, and I will start with creating two reservoirs

My first reservoir has been finished for a while, but I haven't posted it on english forums yet. I will now

Swirl

This used to be a nameless reservoir, but for the conversation, it's easier to give it a name. The creation of this res all started with a SolidWorks design. After that I ordered the plexi and started sanding the edges. This was necessary because the shop I ordered it from gave it a rough finish by cutting it too fast.

I printed out a drawing and stuck it too the plexi. After that I drilled through both of the sheets.

And after cutting some tubes, a mockup can be made

After that, it was time for the big 'feature' of the reservoir, a piece of mirroring plexi. Cutting:

The reflection is actually very good :p

This piece needs to be bended, so I tried to create some handles from wood, to bend it within this piece of steel tubing:

The wood goes into the tube like this. I will mount the plexi in between and heat it up to give it a little twist.

This idea didn't really work, because I was unable to get enough heat into the plexi. So I got rid of the tube. After bending, it looked like this:

I intentionally took a piece of plexi that was a lot longer, so I coul pick out the piece that was bended the nicest. This piece was the chosen one :p:

To be able to mount the res to the case, I drilled and tapped some holes:

Now it was time to drill the holes for the connections. I will drill these to 12mm, and than tap it to G1/4". One on the top, two on the botton.

After glueing and sealing, the end result looks like this

After posting my res on a dutch forum, Stievius was interested in buying it, and it's now nicely mounted in his mod Xionized He has won a lot of prices at the Benelux Casemod League, so I hope that was a little because of this reservoir

B-res

And on with the second one It's called B-res because it's the second one a made, and B as the second letter from the alphabet. It also has the colors of a bee :p It started with a simple sketch, the basic idea:

I designed it further using SolidWorks:

Unfortunately I lost a lot of pictures from the beginning, because my XD-card died. At this picture, I've cut and glued all of the pieces for the twist. I've sanded and polished every edge, to achieve perfection

And this is how it looks finished:

This is the first version of the endpieces. Started with a rough cut:

And the pieces that should come on top of them:

After glueing it looks like this It's all wrong, and the glue is ugly as hell:

Because the first version of the end caps couldn't get nicely round, I made some new ones using the lathe at school. I used a big chunk of alu to mount the pieces in the lathe:

My casemodding company: Brink of Modding
    My current work log: miXture
    Reservoirs and more:Phase 2 casemodding

Default Re: Phase 2 Casemodding

After that, I drilled the existing 4mm holes up to 12mm, and threaded them using a tap I borrowed from Koradhil:

Remaking them made it necessary to make these again to:

Nicely cut, polished and glued together:

And glued to the reservoir:

This does look good :p

At this time, I had no clue how to attach the res to a future case. After a few days of brainstorming, I got mad and designed as long as it was needed to design something that would fit my needs. It had to match the shape and colours of the existing res. This was the winning idea

Time to print out the designs, stick it to the plexi and cut it out:

After that, I glued them together. This made it a lot easier to get them really round:

More parts :p

I will cut to rings out of black plexi that will fit around the res, and will be glued to the yellow pieces from above:

I filed the holes until the reservoir would fit into them. These pictures were taken of the res without further support

I cut the holes first, because it's a lot harder to file them when they are loose. You'll have to remember which side needed a little more filing, and stuff like that :p When the holes were perfect, I cut them loose:

I made the outside really round by sanding it with this:

At this picture, you can sea the ring is nicely round, and I also just liked this picture

After sanding them with 1000 grit sanding paper, it was time to glue them to the tube. To prevent glue stains, I taped off the rest of the tube:

And after that, I attached one of the yellow parts. This turned out not to be the smartest move, so I did it differently on the other side

The rest needed to be glued also then:

And this is the other side I was talking about. I used a lot of tape to be able to sand and polish it:

Even this side gets polished

After cutting, polishing and glueing everything, the reservoir was finished That was just in time for my visit to the Benelux Casemod League, so I mounted it to a piece of brushed aluminium and took it with me These are the pictures I took in my garden at a cold winter day :p

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Every part has a nice finish and I still really like the reservoir On a few of the previous pictures you can see the dots of glue. I have been practicing to get them nice and with the same size :p
    It also looks a lot like the design, even though the twist is to the other side :p

I've got a lot of ideas left, so if I've made something, I will tell you I will post another update them, one that's a little shorter than this one. This one had 66 pics

I really like the second one. That is awesome! +Rep dude!

Wow! Great work on those reservoirs. +Rep for precision and style.
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

Wow thanks a lot guys

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Mate this res is fantastic. +rep
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Awesome dude, +rep and Dugg.
    RIP Bucko

Very nice work man, looking forward to seeing your future work. I like both versions, really impressed with the second one. +rep
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    Very nice work man, looking forward to seeing your future work. I like both versions, really impressed with the second one. +rep
    That one still impresses me, and I see it every day, LOL :p I'm working on another one right now, so you don't have to wait a lot longer

That res turned out fantastic! This is looking wonderful so far. Why haven't you posted the Cubeleon yet? I know folks here would love to see it! Great work so far!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri