Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolutionary

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

Default Re: Evolutionary

This is awsome...

+rep, and subscribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

Damn I cannnot wait to see the results of this.....
    +rep sir!!!

not to shabby... Actually freeking awesom!!! -Have to spread som reps around before I can give you anymore.

I had to adjust my plans slightly. It was to difficult to use the negative as a mold, so I will use the mdf mod. This means I will have to spend more time to give the surface a smooth finish with polyester bondo and sanding. No big problem.

I started with drawing a shape on paper. This is the shape I need to cut from the fiber glass. Put the paper on top of the fiber glass and mark it.

Cut it out three times, because I need three layers.

and ready for use.

The mdf mold is waxed and ready to be used again. First apply some resin on the mold. When the mold is waxed in the right way, the resin seems to try pulling together and form some kind of drops. This is good, because it means the polyester will come off easier later on.

Put the first layer over the mold.

Applied the resin in the middle.

With the tip of the bruh I tapped the resin onto the fiber glass. Tap, because you want the remove any aitbubbles underneath the fiber glass.

To prevent the fiber glass coming loose again, when tapping the outside of the mold I used some kind of plug. Also made from mdf and also treated with the molding wax.
    The plug is slightly smaller then the hole, this because the lauyers of fiber glass will need some space ofcourse.

Working from the edge on top of the mold, down to the bottom of the mold.

It's easy to see when all the fiber glass is soaked with resin.

Time to take out the plug and repeat the whole processa another two times.
    I will have to sand the intakes and apply one more layer of surface tissue. This because it will be easier to smoothen the surface. Right now the intakes look like this, a bit rough but that will change in a couple of days.

I will remove the orange area. Some sort of fingerguard will be placed in this opening later on.

looks great, cant wait to see this finished. +rep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

After sanding the polyester intake it already looks a lot better. I sanded the part with sandingpaper grid 400 and I will have to sand it further with sandingpaper up to 1200. Also started making a paper model from the guard that will be mounted inside the opening of this intake.

It will be made from white frosted acrylic and it will be mounted somewhat deeper then the paper model.

Those came out great! I was wondering how you got the fabric to form to that shape without rolling or wrinkling, but now I see. Cool design!
    Check Black Friday Ads 2020 and Rural King Ad.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

oh those things are SWEET!!!!!!!

This thing is awesome. +rep dude.

Thanks guys and thanks for all the +rep

It's summer in the Netherlands but last few weeks I,ve only seen rain. But not the last days :clap: I can work outside again, much easier working on the sidepanel outside. No molds this time just some glass. Put on some moldingwax and clean it with a cloth. Ready for some polyester action. Put some resin on the glass first

Put on the first layer and use a roller to smoothen it.

The fiber glass on this picture is a special fabric that is for the surface. The endresult will be very smooth. This was the first layer. After this I added 5 more layers of the normal fiber glass.

The result was just as smooth as I wanted it to be. Does not need much work to finish the surface later on for a paintjob. Made two big holes with my Dremel for the air intakes.

And with the intakes in place.

More close ups.

The intakes and the sidepanel wil be glued together and I will use some bondo between the panel and the intakes.