Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Monitor MOD

Sorry for the long wait on my response. I just got back from my short trip to Vegas, no I didn't win big.

I'll try braiding the 16 gauge wire that I have together and see how much they can handle tomorrow morning. I took a quick look at the LCD gooseneck that Crimson suggested. I can't tell if the end pieces come off. If they don't then that might be a huge problem with trying to route it through the vertebrae. Oh and I'm trying to get the whole thing to be able to support about 14 pounds. I think with the monitor, acrylic panel and skeletons hands should weigh just under 13-15 pounds.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

ATX Mental Case

Hi man I have been watching this project and I think it's going to be near impossible to make the backbone support that mutch weight and still be flexible.
    Maybe you should go with a steel rod up to about the 4th vertabrae from the top then divise a pivioting hinge type joint to adjust the tilt.

Just a thought.
    Or you could attch legs to the pelvis cross them and bring them up so the weight is resting on the knees.

Then you could add arms with the hands resting on the desk holding your keyboard.

Add a mean looking skull and the monitor will look like it's in the skeleton's chest.

Love the work so far and great sketchup work +rep for that.
    Charles

Wannabe is prolly right....While I know the goosenecks for laptops and LCD's can hold a good amount of weight, (about 15lbs) it will be fun to see if he can do the same with a DIY version. You can always get aluminum rod and articulate it in several sections using bolts and lock washers--can even hide the bolts with the vertabrae, just drill a hole in the side of it so you can get an allen wrench inside. I can probably even mill the joints on the Unimat if you want--with enough sections, you can bend the spine in some cool S curves. Actually..I'd really like to do that!!!
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 04-21-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Wannabeamodder - thx for all the input. You have some great ideas and the more I play around with the gooseneck and the vertebrae I do believe I might have to go with something similar to the joint idea. I don't however want to add the skull and move the hand position. I will be using a skull on my case mod and even though they will have the same theme I don't want to have to much of a redundancy of skeleton parts. I also want to have the look of the hands holding the monitor, I really don't want to budge on that section of the mod. Your idea about attaching legs to the pelvic bone and having them angle up to help support the monitor is also a good one but since that would take up the entire desk space, even more than a CRT monitor I think I'll give the joints on the vertebrae idea a try first.

Crimson Sky - I would like to hear more about the Unimat joint idea. I think it would be better to try the joint idea first then if for whatever reason it doesn't workout I could continue on with the gooseneck. I think your idea would require less overall drilling of the vertebrae and would be easier to cover up. Plus I just want to see more of your work on the Unimat.

ATX Mental Case

I didn't mean to seem like I was trying to change your idea I was just throwing some things
    against the wall to see if they stick.
    I love the look of this mod and I hope you can figure out how to make it work.
    If anyone can make some articulating joints for the backbone Crimson can!

I was thinking what if you had a joint that looked like a miniature wine glass with a glass on one end and a ball on the other end of the stem that would fit perfectly into another glass (Not made of glass of course) but metal vessel on one end and rubber ball on the other end when inserted it would make a ball and socket joint.

Kinda like this.

Don't know if this is fesible especially as you get to the smaller vertabrae.
    And it may not work at all.

Just a thought.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeamodder View Post
    I didn't mean to seem like I was trying to change your idea I was just throwing some things
    against the wall to see if they stick.
    I didn't think you were trying to change my idea. I think you were just providing some information on possible problems I might come across and also giving a solution to it. That's one of the main reasons I posted this thread about my mod on here. So people such as yourself can help me make my idea better. Two heads are better than one.

I like your wine glass/ball link but I'm not sure it that would be stiff enough to support 15 lbs.

I got my fan grills in yesterday but I wasn't able to put them on because they are a little to big. I'll have to trim them down a little. My wife forgot the digital camera at her brother's house today so I wasn't able to take any pix to show you what I need to do. I did however play around in photoshop so you guys can get an idea.

The problem is that the grill has a chrome finish on it so when I go to cut the posts off and round off the edges on the back side of the grill that is going to be used on the right side speaker it will scratch and dull the finish.

How do I prevent my alterations from ruining the chrome finish look of the grill?

heres a simple solution..... get rid of all of the chrome.... get it nice and smoothly ground clean.... and polish the FK outa it lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

ATX Mental Case

Maybe you could use some black pvc pipe with a notch cut in it on the top and bottom to acomodate the brackets just big enough to slide over the speakers.Then you could glue the grill to the pvc and it would look like the little skull screws are holding it on it would also hide the back of the speakers.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeamodder View Post
    Maybe you could use some black pvc pipe with a notch cut in it on the top and bottom to acomodate the brackets just big enough to slide over the speakers.Then you could glue the grill to the pvc and it would look like the little skull screws are holding it on it would also hide the back of the speakers.

Charles
    I like the look of the exposed back part of the speakers plus I think using some PVC pipe would make it look white trash. Please don't stop with the ideas though not all of them can be gems.