Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

Overclocked

Default Re: Monitor MOD

Nice idea... bony alien desktop

Have you thought about any ideas related to the base of the screen yet?

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Yeah I was in SketchUp earlier designing a base. So far I got a thick plate curved on the top with a snake skeleton. I was thinking about putting some other small animal skeletons around the sides of it and then cover the entire base with bondo and paint. I was thinking about adding some details like the Alien Case Mod that Paul did. I just wish I knew where he got those little horse shoe craps, bones and plates that he put on the sides of the case. Let me guess at his skill level he probably made them from scratch. Hopefully I’ll have some more pix up if I get some more time to play around in SketchUp.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

I've got some more SketchUp pix for you guys to pick apart. I appreciate the suggestions you guys have made so far. Are there anymore problems I might encounter on this project?

Well I'm at the point now were I want to go down to the nearest hardware store and buy a crap load of tools for my 1st computer modding project. I thought I should get your guys advice on what I should spend my hard earned money on 1st. Plus I need to convince the wife that I can't live without these tools.

I saw these at Sears.com and was wondering if I should get them. I know I have to make some custom cuts on the acrylic panels and drill some precise holes. So I thought these tools would be good for the price, $99 each.

You can read the specs on the band saw here, http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921400000, and the specs on the drill press here, http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921900000,

The other ? I've got is about the bits I'm guessing I need to buy some HSS (high-speed steel) bits. Like the ones I have posted below.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Is there anything else I need to be aware of when purchase tools to cut and modify acrylic, plastic and metal? Is there a special type of saw blade type I need for the band saw?

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

You'll need a metal blade to cut acrylic on your bandsaw without cracking and chipping it.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Wow, this is an ambitious project! Can't believe I haven't seen it until now. For the tools, if you can affors both then go for it. If you need precise holes drilled you really need a drill press but you can probably get away with cutting plexi with hand tools if you take your time. And I agree with Tybrenis about the metal blade, I have tried both wood and metal and wood blades made rough cuts. Good luck with your project, the design looks great!
    -quick anatomy gripe-that is a vertebral column, the spinal cord is the chewy strands of nerves that run through it
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I think it looks awesome. Go for it.
    mellojoe

The Rig with Images
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an Abit KT7A: [1507]
    168-Pin PC133 SDRAM: [896MB]
    Radeon 9500-Pro: [128MB]
    Logitec z560 4.1 THX: [400W]
    Lite-On DVD: [16X]
    Antec TrueBlue: [480W]
    ...to name a few

How thick should my acrylic panel be? I've heard that 1/8 is to thick.

I plan on hollowing out the center of the vertebral column to insert a gooseneck to make the monitor adjustable. Anyone know of a good gooseneck, going to a lamp or materials I can use to make one, strong enough to support the weight of the monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    -quick anatomy gripe-that is a vertebral column, the spinal cord is the chewy strands of nerves that run through it
    Thx for the correction. Guess I should of paid more attention in biology class when I was a kid.

SpaceHonkey, check around, But I am pretty sure there is a fully equipped shop on base you can use for free (there used to be a couple of them). Otherwise check with some co-workers (mechanics or fabricators, not sure what they are called in the corps), to see if they can get you access to their shops. They will have just about any tool you need including a metal brake(bender).
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

I know there's a wood shop here on base. I'll make a call tomorrow and see if they can also handle metal and plastic. If they do that will allow me to get a feel for the tools I need and I'll know exactly what I need whenever I finally go out and purchase them.