Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Monitor MOD

You could probably find a regular ol' desklamp at just about any department store that would have a gooseneck on it you could use. Some of the ones I've seen are pretty thick and seem as though they could support way more than just the lamp head. Im looking at your design and a flatpanel monitor minus all the random plastic shouldnt be TOO heavy, plus you have the hands to help distribute the weight so it isnt just resting on 1 point...just make sure that you dont make it too long as of course the shorter the gooseneck is, the more weight it should be able to hold without buckling.

For the goose neck, try a music store. I am looking at a mic stand that has a flexible goosneck on it. They also make adjustable ones for percussion instruments that will hold a lot of weight.

This is a mic stand;
    http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?SKU=28920

I am looking for a model that would support more weight right now...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    For the goose neck, try a music store. I am looking at a mic stand that has a flexible goosneck on it. They also make adjustable ones for percussion instruments that will hold a lot of weight.

This is a mic stand;
    http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?SKU=28920
    Awesome idea! I never thought about a mic stand extention. I'll go check out the local music store this weekend. If they don't have any I'll probably buy one off the link you provided.

Thx again for the idea. +rep
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

that lock symbol is to secure the monitor to a desk, it has nothing to do with the case not comming off, my monitor was stuck, a few i have opened have been stuck. they just need forcing, with all the heat they recive, sometimes they get stuck.

and btw, i wouldn't open a CRT unless: A)it has been unpluged for the last two months, and B)you were confedent working with HUGE ammounts of power.

eitherway, i recommend TFT/LCD,
    Good luck

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    and btw, i wouldn't open a CRT unless: A)it has been unpluged for the last two months, and B)you were confedent working with HUGE ammounts of power.
    Good luck
    As far as crt's go, I have pulled a crt out of our warehouse that had not been powered on for over a year. There was still a charge on the wire that leads to the top of the tube! (the thick high voltage wire usually red (for DON"T TOUCH!)).

When I was fixing TV's (many moons ago at my Dad's shop), I would attach a thick wire to ground, then to a large screwdriver, then slip the screwdriver under the rubber grommet connected to the high voltage wire and short/bleed out the voltage. Just keep your hands out of the way! Once that is done, the high voltage wire can be removed by pinching it together. BTW in some systems as much as 27kv travel through that wire! I watched one day as my dad touched one of those wires (it was cracked in the area he touched), and saw a spark jump from the top of his ass crack to a heater register over an inch away! It left a scar... (yes tv repairmen also suffer from plumbers crack!)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    As far as crt's go....and saw a spark jump from the top of his ass crack to a heater register over an inch away! It left a scar.
    OK you convinced me not to play around with my CRT monitor

I got the go ahead from the wife . So I'm ordering all the parts I need for the mod sometime this week (after I pay the bills off). The only catch she gave me was that I have to buy another monitor and mod that one. I might have to wait until next pay day to buy the other monitor.

Man I wish I could get started on the project already but I guess one of the most important traits a modder can have is patience.

Whenever I get the parts in I'll post some pix of the pieces before I tear into them.

I know my original plans call for a snake skeleton laying on top of the base of the monitor but that might change for a couple of reasons.

First reason is my wife keeps asking what the hell does a snake have to do with human skeleton hands and a back bone. I just thought it looked cool as hell. What do you guys think?

Second reason is the only snake skeletons I can find for sale are REAL snake skeletons for about $50. I would rather work with a fake skeleton because I think the real thing would be to brittle to work with. Also the snake is already glued into position and I'm afraid when I go to rearrange it the way I want it'll just fall apart in my hands.

Third reason is the snake it way to long for the base I wanted to use. If I go with the snake then I'll either have to make the base bigger or take out some of the snake skeleton to fit onto the base.

I thought about replacing it with some plastic dinosaur skeletons but I'm not sure if that would flow with the look as well as a snake would. I've added some pix of the snake I was thinking of using along with the possible dinosaurs I might use instead.

I'm not sure about the dinosaur skeletons because they look a little to cheap but I guess that's what you get for $15-$25. I found some with a lot more detail but the price jumps up to $150-$400.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I would look good on the base on the monitor?

I agree that the snake bones don't really fit but I think your design looks great so far. Is there an underlying theme of sorts? If it's just bones, you could go for anatomic design and bring the spine down into hip bones which can be arranged accurately and still provide support.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    Is there an underlying theme of sorts? If it's just bones, you could go for anatomic design and bring the spine down into hip bones which can be arranged accurately and still provide support.

There really isn't a theme beside a basic skeleton one. These are the skeleton bones that I've already purchased. I'm just waiting for them to be delivered.

I like the idea of using the pelvis as the base especially since the back bone that I bought comes already attached to the pelvis bone. Not sure how I would stabilize it though.

The support would not be able to come directly from the pelvic bones, rather the goose-neck you are running through the vertebre could attach to a frame/base which extends down behind the sacrum and then angles forward to construct a platform. On this platform you could model it any which way to conceal the support frame and display the pelvis. This may help the overall design look a little less top-heavy.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri