Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Monitor MOD

I put a hold on the hologram research for right now. I'll probably look more into building a home hologram kit after the rest of the mod is completed. It can be my finishing touch on it. I don't want to get to wrapped up in the hologram idea and have the rest of the project fall to the way side.

Now for some good news. I finally received the skeleton bones I'll be using for the mod. Also I made some brackets that I'll need to mount the acrylic panel and the larger speakers to the monitor. I'll post some pix when I get all the parts I that I need to complete the project which shouldn't be that long, maybe a couple of weeks. Then I'll be able to let my actions speak louder then my words.:p
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Wicked mod.

+ Rep for your sketchup skills. I still get frustrated as hell with sketchup and I've been doing graphic art stuff for a while.

Hope this gives you some idea of what you are asking - custom hologrpahy is highly complex, costly material intensive, and time consuming. I responded to this out of courtesy and appreciation for your interest in holography.

Best,

Peter
    + Rep to Peter the Hologram guy. It's funny as hell how cool random people can be when you show interest in their company.

I remember Oakley giving me and a group of my friends a ton of stuff, expensive stuff, one time before a deployment.

Keep up the killer project. You've got me thinkin about that monitor mod thing with the plexiglass, that's a wicked cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    + Rep for your sketchup skills. I still get frustrated as hell with sketchup and I've been doing graphic art stuff for a while.
    I can't take all the credit for the SketchUp model. I downloaded the pelvic bone from a skeleton model I found in the 3D SketchUp Warehouse. I figured I could probably build it up myself but why take all that time making a model of something that has already been done, like the pelvic bone. I would rather spend my free time thinking of ways to improve my design. So again I didn't build the pelvic bone but I did do everything else you see in the pix of my project. I just thought I would let you guys know that before you give me credit for someone else's hard work.

Update: Today the local music store gets their shipment in and I should be able to pick up my 19" chrome mic gooseneck for the backbone. Also the wife gave me the go ahead to start ripping into the LCD monitor we have and she'll just go back to using the old CRT monitor until we buy a new LCD one for her.

Now let me go down the list to see if I'll have everything I need.

LCD monitor - check
    Backbone - check
    L & R Skeleton Arms - check
    Larger speaker w/brackets - check
    Acrylic panel - check
    6 Alan screws/nuts for Acrylic panel - check
    Acrylic panel brackets - check
    Backbone/monitor bracket - check
    Red LEDs - check
    Electrical wiring - check
    Cable sleeves & heatshrink - check
    Dremel - check
    Bucket of bondo - check

Gooseneck - in the mail (had to order a new stronger one)
    Cutting tool for acrylic panel - still looking for someone with a band saw
    Skull hologram - still researching if it's even possible

I also still need to get a large enough nut to secure the gooseneck to the monitor mount. I think that's all I need for this project.

Is there anything I forgot on my list that you guys think I should have?

Love the idea, I would just be worried about the hologram affecting the viewing screen while in use (mainley coz I use darker settings and some games do tend to get kinda dark). What about on like an anti glare screen? You could probley mod that to work on your design (which is very awesom). And as far as the hologram, and this is just an idea so please don't shoot me for it, what about car window tint? I have done some cool stuff and aml planning a "mirrored" in the light and "transluent" in the dark case mod with it. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyfuzion View Post
    ...And as far as the hologram, and this is just an idea so please don't shoot me for it, what about car window tint? I have done some cool stuff and aml planning a "mirrored" in the light and "transluent" in the dark case mod with it. Just a thought.
    Don't worry I won't shoot you, YET!!! I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain more? I'm completely open to new way to get the similar affect that the holograms would have.

Well, in a nut shell, youre putting an image in your screen, and it will be there 24/7. The best way I can think to describe what I mean would be burn in on the monitor. You'd have a constant ghost image. It is after all a sticker or something like that, but it seemes to me it's still gonna be an image on the screen. Could look totaly awesom and not be a problem. But it also could be annoying as @%*#. So hence the sugestion for anti glare screen or something along those lines. It would be removable. Once again, I could be so far off base with this it's not funny, but I do know I have some minor scratches on my monitor and they have a habit of getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyfuzion View Post
    ...You'd have a constant ghost image... Could look totaly awesom and not be a problem. But it also could be annoying as @%*#. So hence the sugestion for anti glare screen or something along those lines. It would be removable.
    I have taken the possibility of the ghost image to be annoying for some people in to account but I thought I would give it a shot to see how bad it would be but since I've hit a brick wall on the hologram side for right now I think your idea of a anti glare screen is an AWESOME idea. I could try and paint a skull on there and see how it looks.

By the way fuzzyfuzion I know you're new to the forum so let me be the first if you haven't received one yet for the great idea about using a glare screen. +REP

Awesom Thanx man. If you can't take the criticism of an idea, why tell anyone at all ? Most everything is always a work in progress.

I got a question for the the MODERATORs out there. First off this thread initially started out asking a simple question about a metal frame for a LCD monitor but now has morphed into a detailed step by step brainstorming thread about my Monitor Mod.

Now I would like to know since I'm actually about to take the gloves off and get my hands dirty with this project should I start another thread in the Mod Walk - Work in progress thread section or should this thread moved there or should I just keep posting here like a mad man?