Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Monitor MOD

What do you guys think of using these screws to hold the acrylic panel on to the front of the monitor?

*****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

They look pretty good. The only thing I would worry about is "adding to much." I say try them and if they look like crap trow in some plain screws and use them for the case...

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Well I was playing around with the gooseneck to see if it could hold the weight on the monitor. Nope to weak. So I drove around town and found another music supply store and they carried a rubber type of gooseneck. This type is strong as hell but they only had a 16" and 10" that would be 26" way to long for what I need. So I searched the web and found a 20" rubber gooseneck and a stand to attach it to and help to stabilize the base. Hopefully this will work.

rubber goosenck
    http://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.R20

stand
    http://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.DS-5E

I don't think those screws would look very good in your overall scheme even though they fit the theme. I agree with danthegeek that they would be "adding too much", you have a very unique and creative theme going here and it's difficult sometimes when in the creative process to know when to draw the line, but I'd say draw before the screws. That gooseneck looks good, have you tested a similar model with weight bearing, keep in mind it must support the weight of the screen which will likely have some leverage added if it sticks out in the front, and it must hold for long periods of time. That base doesn't look sufficient to me, it only has a 6" diameter base and weighs only 3lbs. You would likely get better support if you built your own base with some form of extensions (feet) in the front to protect against falling forward. If you really wanted to keep with the skeletal form, you actually could incorporate two femurs from the acetabular hip joints extending forward and out at about a 45 degree angle and saw them off about midway through their length.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Thumbscrews-
    I thought about it too and the skull thumbscrews would be over doing it. So I'll just stick with the alan screws.

Gooseneck-
    I'll need to have the monitor put together with the hands and acrylic panel so I'll be able to test the strength of gooseneck out proper. If the 20" isn't strong enough I thought about joining smaller ones together since the shorter goosenecks are stiffer.

Base-
    As for the base I'm just using the stand for a starter piece. I'll expand on it more but I'll also have to wait until I have all the pieces together so I can have a better idea of how big the base needs to be. I'm going to add bondo to the base to make it look like the pelvic bone is coming out of a rock so I could just add some weights and cover it with the bondo if I need too.

The idea to use the femur bones isn't a bad idea but I'm using the femurs for my case mod. I want to have the same theme of the skeleton monitor but not use the same bones for it. My overall idea is to have a complete skeleton computer setup and if you were to take the pieces apart you would have a complete skeleton. I'll be posting more on my case mod in the near future on a new thread.

All the parts I need for my mod finally came in. I'll start putting everything together this weekend. I'll post more pix as everything comes together.

This is gonna be so cool!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

^^ Yah what he said!

Would be really cool to simulate Orthopedic Pins instead of those skull thumbscrews. Check out the kick ass hardware on that site. You could probably fashion similar looking hardware with aluminum stock and a few rifler files.

EDIT: Hell I'll turn some cool looking bolts for you on my new lathe--just come up with some ideas.

I have several of these suckas in my ankle from a motorcycle accident.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 04-14-2007 at 11:10 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Dude,

That is so strong... You've got bones, bondo, and a Dremel. You have now officially made it to the stage of total uber modder. +Rep There is no turning back now.

Thats some crazy as Sh** +rep