Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project PCG3

Default Project PCG3

Hello,
    I am new to these fancy forums and am in the midst of building my second mod.
    My first was the standard new paint job, but this time I feel like stepping it up a notch.

I just purchased a used (Mac)G3 case and I plan on getting my (full)ATX board in there, along with 2 HDDs and at least one Disc drive.
    I am in the middle of planning out where I need to cut and will need help with some situations.

My first question is that; the board I am working with, is SLI compatible. I've always had my video card in the first slot (which is orange). Would I be able to move it to the other (blue) slot? It would help quite a bit with positioning of the board if I could.

My second is; What is the best tool to cut through aluminum and plastic?

Thirdly, Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks for your help.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Project PCG3

First: I don't know. All I can say is RTFM. Most of the time that kind of stuff is in there.

Secondly: Jigsaw and a file set. Jigsaws can go through aluminum and polycarbonate with ease, then you file it until it's nice.

Thirdly: Probably, but not that I've seen.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Watching this thread, 'cos sticking a PC in a G3 is a cool idea.

Welcome to the mad house dude ^.^

I know him in RL. Hes a good friend of mine. Treat him nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichbin View Post
    I know him in RL. Hes a good friend of mine. Treat him nicely!
    We usually do.

Welcome aboard squilliam. Best of luck with the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to these fancy forums and am in the midst of building my second mod.
    My first was the standard new paint job, but this time I feel like stepping it up a notch.

I just purchased a used (Mac)G3 case and I plan on getting my (full)ATX board in there, along with 2 HDDs and at least one Disc drive.
    I am in the middle of planning out where I need to cut and will need help with some situations.

My first question is that; the board I am working with, is SLI compatible. I've always had my video card in the first slot (which is orange). Would I be able to move it to the other (blue) slot? It would help quite a bit with positioning of the board if I could.

My second is; What is the best tool to cut through aluminum and plastic?

Thirdly, Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks for your help.
    chances are that you can indeed move the graphics card into the second pcie x:16 slot but depending on what mobo you have speed of this card may decrease like for instance on my dfi motherboard i have 4 pci express slots in this format

pcie x16 slot
    -------------
    pcie x1 slot
    ----
    pcie x4 slot
    ------
    pcie x16 slot
    -------------

when in normal single vga or graphics card mode the bandwith of the grphics PCIE card slots are as follows

pcie x16 slot x16 bandwidth
    -------------
    pcie x1 slot x1 bandwidth
    ----
    pcie x4 slot x1 bandwidth
    ------
    pcie x16 slot x2 bandwidth
    -------------
    when in sli or dual graphics card mode the bandwidth of the pcie card slots are as follows

pcie x16 slot x8 bandwidth
    -------------
    pcie x1 slot no bandwidth
    ----
    pcie x4 slot x4 bandwidth
    ------
    pcie x16 slot x8 bandwidth
    -------------

so the reason why you shoudlnt use the graphics card in our second pcie x16 card slot is that in my case (i dont know what mobo model you have) my graphics card would only operate at 2x bandwidth and signifagantly decreasing the performance of the card but you can if you want to i just would not suggest it
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

It's a 7600gt
    This news makes me sad.
    Are sure this is true with every SLI mobo?

TBCS - We stick big things in small containers
    My mods completed:Deranged Steel
    In the works: PCG3, S.A.C.

ah 7600gt is what i use except i run sli this is true on many motherboards but their are pelenty of which that run dual pcie x16 bandwidth on both slots not x8 by x8 i really would like to know what mobo it is oh wait it says it in your sig (uh dur)

wow my sig sucks.. ha

your motherboard handles sli with x8 by x8 bandwidth in both pcie 16 slots so its the same as what i explained before it doesnt really matter all that much i would say to go ahead and try it although id like to know why ou want to do that anyway

wow my sig sucks.. ha

For the cutting Id tape the plastic bits , so you dont get as many frillys while your cutting. Makes life a lil easier when your sanding/filing. Involving positioning, why would you need to move your card? Where on the case is it ending up if you keep it in the orange?