Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Overclocked

Default Re: Upgrade, but is it good ?

No.

Guessing you may want to go CrossFire, you may want some infos on Nvidia and ATI at the moment.

The new 8800GTS 640Mb from Nvidia blows two 7950GTX Nvidias running SLI in smaller resolutions gaming.

The new 8800 from Nvidia blows anything on the market right now, crossfire/SLI or not (unless you're going for high resolutions, CF/SLI is winning, but you need the latest cards for that...)

You may want to wait for ATI's answer to the 8800 if you want something powerful. I don't know if you plan to stick with ATI or going Nvidia, but if you plan on going dual-cards you'd better check which cards you may want. Dual X1900 running in Crossfire will be beaten by a single 8800GTS 640Mb.

Case Wizard

I vote for the Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 instead of the E6400. By the way, the E4300 doesn't support virtualization. If that is a feature you want, then I would suggest the E6300. About $50 USD less that the E6400. Since you plan on overclocking, you really don't need to look at the default speed. Both are great overclockers. Basically, the only thing you are paying for with the E6400 is a higher multiplier.

I don't know what is available to you in Norway. But RAM prices are getting pretty low. You can get a good pair. Here is one and it is 800 MHz too for less after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144

Here's some cheaper, faster ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231114
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 4-4-3-5
    For $209.99

Compared to:

Link above
    Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
    For $214.99
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Well, I don't got the X1900 Crossfire edition so if I am going to buy a new pair of GPU's and put them in SLI or Crossfire ... what's the best but not to expensive solution for DX9 ? I was thinking of two XFX GeForce 7900GS 256MB or something like that !

Overclocked

Youd be better with a single GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb.

At which resolution do you play games? Also note that Crossfire/SLI does block any multi-screen possibilities, so if you are going with 8800GTS you'll be able to put at least 2 screens on your system. I don't know what is your current upgrade goal... and SLI/CF is not that good, unless you are aiming for 1600x1200 or higher gaming resolution at full graphics settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
    Youd be better with a single GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb.

At which resolution do you play games? Also note that Crossfire/SLI does block any multi-screen possibilities, so if you are going with 8800GTS you'll be able to put at least 2 screens on your system. I don't know what is your current upgrade goal... and SLI/CF is not that good, unless you are aiming for 1600x1200 or higher gaming resolution at full graphics settings.
    I use 1280x1024 in all games ! So .. when is the cheaper DX10 cards coming, and what is the estimated prise for the DX10 ATI ?

EDIT: http://www.lc-power.com/ This is the power supply i got ! It's the 420W Silent Giant !

Overclocked

1280x1024, eh... keep your current X1900 card for a while, since it still packs alot of power, but wait till the next gen DX10 cards goes out before buying anything.

Do you know that DX10 technology is currenly only handled by Vista? I think that these cards will function under XP, but without the DX10 improvements. You can't trust me on that point tho, since I only got a GeForce FX 5500... ^_^; I was writing that by memory of what Ive seen on different forums.

Take a look at the benchmarks, you'll find what's good for the future. When it's written SLI or CF just after the card name, it's because the benchmark was realised by using two of that card in SLI/CF mode. The 8800GTX is used all alone in it... hehe

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=585&chart=231

Oh, and I was wrong all the time, it's 8800GTX... lol.

Talking Re: Upgrade, but is it good ?

Well, the system setup is a good upgrade so I am settled with that and I think I will rest my case with the graphics a little while and wait for the DX10 to get out on the marked for full eh !?

Thank you all for helping me !
    (PS: I'm not going to buy Windows Vista yet, cause it's not good for gaming and that's what I do )

Overclocked

Besides, Vista doesn't support multi-channel audio on other cards than X-Fi and some of the best Audigy from Creative, which, in my opinion, is a bad thing.

and yes, you could wait for ATI's answer to nVidia about DX10 cards, then make a choice there (or wait for nVidia's answer, too... lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
    Besides, Vista doesn't support multi-channel audio on other cards than X-Fi and some of the best Audigy from Creative, which, in my opinion, is a bad thing.

and yes, you could wait for ATI's answer to nVidia about DX10 cards, then make a choice there (or wait for nVidia's answer, too... lol)
    Yeah I got the Creative X-Fi Extreme Music and it rock's man ! And I'm not going for dual lcd screen ... yet ! lol ! Personaly I think Vista is full of holes and problems !