Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vista Freezing...

Default Vista Freezing...

Hi guys,
    Haven't been posting, i know i know my bad. I've been marveling at the eye candy of all the games lolz. Well i've recently claimed my upgrade to Vista Home Premium and have installed it (after 3 unsuccessful BSOD's telling me there's something wrong with my USB's. Just unplugged all USB devices and it installed fine).
    Now i'm having problems within Vista itself. It seems like every time i try to download something through either IE7 or Firefox it just freezes up on me while still using only 1% of my CPU and 28% of my RAM. I've started reading around on what might cause this and it could be the fact that my HDD is a Western Digital 320gig SATAII... Many people have been having this problem and all because they have a SATAII HDD. To solve it they've been switching to IDE. My question is, is this really the problem or is there any other possible explanation.

If there isn't anything else to do but switch sockets, my question is. Is it only changing things in the BIOS or an actual switch of a hardware cable to a different socket? If it's only in the BIOS, will i lose any data when i switch to IDE?

Hope you guys can help me out with this because so far Vista has not impressed me at all. Constant lags and freezes followed by me having to kill the juice for it to restart.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Default Re: Vista Freezing...

Stupid question but have you upgraded vista? Have you looked in the "optional updates" to see if there is a special update for your specific hardware?

When it freezes can you still 3-finger salute the taskman? If so, "end process tree" the explorer process. Go file>new task "explorer". This method works in XP on most freezes.

Personally, if i were you:
    I would be calling microsoft support (toll free # ofcourse) and run a strip down there back about releasing a buggy operating system.

If they cant fix the problem, ask for a mailling adress so you can return your open software for a full refund of your purchase price. It might help to ask them if they can point you in the direction of an operating system from another company. lol
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CanaBalistic View Post
    Stupid question but have you upgraded vista? Have you looked in the "optional updates" to see if there is a special update for your specific hardware?

When it freezes can you still 3-finger salute the taskman? If so, "end process tree" the explorer process. Go file>new task "explorer". This method works in XP on most freezes.

Personally, if i were you:
    I would be calling microsoft support (toll free # ofcourse) and run a strip down there back about releasing a buggy operating system.

If they cant fix the problem, ask for a mailling adress so you can return your open software for a full refund of your purchase price. It might help to ask them if they can point you in the direction of an operating system from another company. lol
    lolz ok well here goes:

I've used a free upgrade voucher from Windows Media Centre Edition 2005 to Windows Vista Home Premium so as far as refunds go, that's settled.

I've updated all my drivers, video card, monitor, even the friggin mouse lolz.

Complaining won't solve much for me, it's a technical error, most likely with the HDD but the wierd thing is that i've managed to download files _sometimes_ while other times it all goes to the crapper and won't download anything. For example, i have the Task Manager open right now and have successfully downloaded 3 files.

The three finger salute doesn't do anything. Everything freezes completley and even tho the CPU is running at 1% the HDD can't send any of the data across to it because it's all clogged up by Vista doing some funky a$$ shiz to it when it begins to transfer files from the temporary internet folder to the destination i requested.

I've ran Windows Updates and downloaded even the optional updates. It's all up to date so it should work

I'm currently sick after some immunizations at school (had a reaction to it ) so last night when i finally managed to install Vista after 5 hours i was mouthing it off so bad because of these problems. I even thought about getting a Mac...

Thanks for your reply tho, put a smile on my face lolz.

Case Wizard

Are the other people who are having the same problem as you upgraded from a previous Windows version? Or does the problem arise despite it being an upgrade or a clean install?

I'm going to get Vista in a few weeks and I'll be doing a clean install on a WD 250 GB SATA II hard drive. I hope the problem isn't with the SATA interface in general because I got a SATA DVD drive as well.

I think it's exactly that. Everyone who posts has SATAII HDD's. One particular post got me looking at the type of HDD's people have when they experiences these lags / freezes and that was a guy saying that vista absolutely HATES SATAII. I don't know why that is but after hours of searching for solutions i've given up... Looking at the benchmarks between Vista and Windows XP, the actual performance is worse in Vista then it is in XP.

I personally am going to rollback to Windows. When i decided to do that it took me another hour to find how to do that lolz but finally here's a link to those who are thinking of rolling back.
    Roll Back Process
    That involves command prompts and is not for beginners... Don't try it unless you're a more experienced user.

I have a WD 320gig SATAII 7200.10 HDD so i would personally suggest you to NOT install Vista until there is a service pack out. In fact anyone who wants to upgrade to Vista... don't. So far i am yet to find one positive comment about the new OS. Everything is either buggy this or buggy that, this won't install, that won't run, this freezes, that lags, this is slower and that is annoying... Vista is not worth it yet, Microsoft have a long 6 months ahead of them. I've decided that i'm going to hop back on the Vista train as soon as Microsoft releases SP1. I mean cmon, if my computer can't run Vista, then what can???

EDIT: Those of you who have IDE drives, that still doesn't mean that Vista is right for you lolz. Find some benchmarks between Windows XP and Vista and see the difference for yourselves. Some games were losing 10-20 FPS on Vista...

Case Wizard

Despist all the complaints, I'm still going to give Vista a try. I've actually heard mixed results/experiences. The gaming performace between XP and Vista is not Microsoft's fault exactly. It is up to AMD and Nvidia to relase updated drivers to fix that, especially OpenGL games.

Anyways, I currently don't have an OS on my PC and I need to get one anyways. I personally don't feel like buying XP and then buying Vista later. Even if I do the upgrade option of Vista to lower the cost. I feel more comfotable with a clean install.

I've also had back luck/performance with Vista. First attempt was with the Beta last fall, but I didnt expect much from RC1. I tried a clean install of Vista Business on my laptop, and was actually quite impressed. HOWEVER.. the trial period is only 3 days, so I didnt get much time to spend with it.

Mostly though, all I've heard about Vista is the horror stories.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Resident Alcoholic

I've just installed vista on a SATAII rig and my friend hasn't mentioned any problems

*realises he's forgotten to install Word on the friends pc and quickly runs over there to do so-*

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote View Post
    Even if I do the upgrade option of Vista to lower the cost. I feel more comfotable with a clean install.
    You know, there was a workaround to the upgrade thing that shouldn't be illegal or anything seen here.

yea even microsoft released those notes on the workaround... it's their problem and they're not trying to cover it up so might as well take advantage of it.