Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The First Android is creepy...

Default Re: The First Android is creepy...

The way it smiles is very creepy. its a smile that says: "Just you wait, meatpuppet, until your family is all tucked safely in bed tonight."
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Yeah, it only has a few pre-porgrammed phrases in it I guess, to specifically respond to what he says.
    I think what dave is trying to say, is that it isn't even responding, it's just seems scripted.....
    Still pretty cool though.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    The way it smiles is very creepy. its a smile that says: "Just you wait, meatpuppet, until your family is all tucked safely in bed tonight."
    lmao. Robot Chucky.

<knife/>
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Maybe Im just paranoid, but the idea of complex artificial intelligence just disturbs me. I don't know, I just don't think it seems like a good idea to give these things thoughts and emotions. Its one thing to have some basic problem solving skills to make it do what ever it is supposed to do, but when u start giving them emotions and personal thoughts/opinions it seems like that is when it could go bad. A robot is supposed to be a tool. It should not have wants, or feelings. It should not love me. I'm sure the programmers will try to program some fail safes in to these things, but still... it's probably going to be buggy.

Im probably just being paranoid *takes off tinfoil hat*

Edit: I just want to clear up that, i don't in any way see AI as a moral issue. I just don't know that it is a smart idea. I have nothing against playing god.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    Robot assassins. I'm not sure if I like that thought. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Crimson, you ever played Knights of the old Republic? There's a robot in there you might like. HK-47. I think it was voted the most popular supporting character in a poll on Gamespot last year.

AI being a bad idea? Who knows. It's something i'm very interested in, and i'm planning to study it next year when the oppertunity arrises. I'm a big Asimov fan, and his novels and stories pretty much echo what Minty is saying above. Robots need to look like Robots.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Yeah, I was just about to refer to KotOR... and was about to ask if you meant "meatbag" instead, heh heh... there's a great VGCats comic spoofing HK... a couple actually...

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    Robot assassins. I'm not sure if I like that thought. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    AI being a bad idea? Who knows. It's something i'm very interested in, and i'm planning to study it next year when the oppertunity arrises. I'm a big Asimov fan, and his novels and stories pretty much echo what Minty is saying above. Robots need to look like Robots.

-Dave
    Then you will no doubt see the link to "Friday" ??!!??

EDIT: Woops, Friday was written by Robert Heinlein, not Asimov... (still a great book and delves into what is being discussed here.)
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Woops, Friday was written by Robert Heinlein, not Asimov...
    Haven't read that book, might see if i can get a copy. Ever read a book called Tik-Tok by John Sladek? It's out of print and hard to find, but very, very, good.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!