Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling with All Copper Piping?

Default Watercooling with All Copper Piping?

Has anyone ever done or seen a watercooling setup that used copper piping instead of the "plastic" tubing?

It would require lots of planning, but it would dissapate a ton of heat.

Thoughts?
    mellojoe

The Rig with Images
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an Abit KT7A: [1507]
    168-Pin PC133 SDRAM: [896MB]
    Radeon 9500-Pro: [128MB]
    Logitec z560 4.1 THX: [400W]
    Lite-On DVD: [16X]
    Antec TrueBlue: [480W]
    ...to name a few

Default Re: Watercooling with All Copper Piping?

I was planing something simular nice and shiny piping I did see a mod with silver looking piping Il have a look bear in mind that if you move the joints to much once there soldered together They easly break lose again.

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

Quote Originally Posted by sirkillalot617 View Post
    ...bear in mind that if you move the joints to much once there soldered together They easly break lose again.
    ...Not if they are done right...
    I have done some plumbing in my house with copper pipe and once they are soldered correctly, they will not budge without a shot from the torch. Soldering them together would be a trick since it would be _almost_ impossible to use a torch inside the computer without burning something like a card or mobo... There would have to be some quick disconnect fitting in at least 2 places to get the copper in and out of the chassis. I can also ask my neighbor about this since he has fitted literally TONS of copper pipe in his lifetime...(and he is helping me re-plumb my house with copper). The tolerance under the house can be fudged, the tolerance inside the computer cannot due to the close proximity of all the parts.

OK, that said I know it is possible if you put your mind to it. Something can be rigged up inside the computer, then torched up outside. It will just take some creativity.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Mad Thermal Scientist DocNitrous's Avatar

im actually planning this on my actual project. (see my worklog)

But i dont think im gonna use house copper pipe, but rather copper brakes lines for cars..

about a 1/4 inch in diameter. if the connection can withstand brake fluid with a lot of pressure, running water wont leak for sure!!

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocNitrous View Post
    im actually planning this on my actual project. (see my worklog)

But i dont think im gonna use house copper pipe, but rather copper brakes lines for cars..

about a 1/4 inch in diameter. if the connection can withstand brake fluid with a lot of pressure, running water wont leak for sure!!
    well, brake lines aren't copper. They're either steel, or stainless steel, like on the newer cars. But seeing some steel-braided line inside a computer would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by sirkillalot617 View Post
    I was planing something simular nice and shiny piping I did see a mod with silver looking piping Il have a look bear in mind that if you move the joints to much once there soldered together They easly break lose again.
    being hvac tech., i would braze them not solder them. but i would worry about condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    ...Not if they are done right...
    I have done some plumbing in my house with copper pipe and once they are soldered correctly, they will not budge without a shot from the torch. Soldering them together would be a trick since it would be _almost_ impossible to use a torch inside the computer without burning something like a card or mobo... There would have to be some quick disconnect fitting in at least 2 places to get the copper in and out of the chassis. I can also ask my neighbor about this since he has fitted literally TONS of copper pipe in his lifetime...(and he is helping me re-plumb my house with copper). The tolerance under the house can be fudged, the tolerance inside the computer cannot due to the close proximity of all the parts.

OK, that said I know it is possible if you put your mind to it. Something can be rigged up inside the computer, then torched up outside. It will just take some creativity.
    i would use flare fittings to attach them to the water blocks and pump and rad. so now that i really think about it you wouldn't need any soldering or brazing. you would just need a pipebender to make some nice clean bends.

on another note i would for for 3/8 copper not 1/4. i think it could be done if you buy the right parts. look for water blocks that have changable fittings and this way you can change it with a flare fitting. the pump would be the hardest to convert. what i think would look really sick is to do a industrial theme. from crimson sky i would steal his fog machine idea and put it inside. then i would get tiny little hangers for the piping like it would hang from the ceiling. in fact i would try and use black iron fittings and pipe. and to top it all off i would get 2 120mm rads and try and make a tiny cooling tower.

here is apicture of how it works.

thats what some look like.

anyway i would put 2 120mm rads and place them like a V and then put a fan on the top blowing on boths and make a little metal case for them.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I've seen this done before. I can't remember where though... it was on the forums somewhere.

It was pretty cool, maybe try google for tips and stuff.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

yeah....i saw this done before....they didnt solder it in...they used some sort of pressure connectors and then had a pump to pressuriise the system

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I think the one I saw had solder. I might be wrong though. I tried looking for the thread, but I couldn't find it.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

so for these soldered systems where is the solder placed?!@ do the seal it right to the block? that seems really stupid to me. it would be much easier, faster, safer to used flare fittings.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v