Thread: 3d rapid prototype parts?

Default 3d rapid prototype parts?

So I'm trying to design my first "REAL" computer mod that is something other than a bolt on item. Has anyone had any experience using 3d rapid prototyped parts that are printed from the white powder? I am working on getting a small sample to test its durablity, finish and how well it will sand/paint. Just curious if anyone has tried this already before I spend a lot of money. I know the parts have to be soaked and cured in Ca glue to be worth anything but that is all included in the process.

If it does come out good, I'll be working to refind my design more and start a seperate thread. But who knows.

Overclocked

Default Re: 3d rapid prototype parts?

good luck finding a machine to do what you want. the only two i know of use rods. i think its styrene and some soluble plastic. the styrene stays, but the soulable stuff gets eaten away by pretty much any liquid. i think the rest of your questions are better left to wikipedia. but man, these machines are used for huge corporations and their products. good luck!

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

actually, I already have access to the machine. One of the guys at our office, is a high school teacher during the day. He teaches Cad and Model making. The school purchased a Rapid prototype Printer and Laser etcher. I have already done some laser etching for some stuff. And My office has had him print one of our buildings in 3d just as a test to see how it would turn out. So I asked him to get me a sample block of it to test. I just have to pay him for the materials. Which are not cheap at all. So I want to make sure if I do it, that it will stand up and finish correctly.

That's classified.

I think Ben Heckendorn used this same kind of machine to make the Wii Laptop.

(You'll lol at the picture quotes!)

Overclocked

he milled his parts from sintra PVC foam. rapid prototyping is printing layer upon layer on top of each other. two parts. one stays the other is dissolved.

Are you serious, a high school bought a RP Machine? we have a hard time getting materials just to weld with.

since you said it uses a powder...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Yeah, their department is pretty big. The build archtectural models that are phenomenal!!! they enter them in a local contest with other high schools and usually sweep the competition. Very cool stuff, on an archtectural basis. So they get a little money each year to improve the program and this year, it was the prototyper. Its not very big. It only does parts taht are max. 8"x8"x10". but they can be glued together to make bigger parts. when I get to work, tomorrow I'll try and upload a picture of the building we printed out.

On a semi-related note, they're developing similar technologies to print human organs.

I've seen some RP'd fan grills and the material is pretty tough. It does need a LOT of finishing, because the printer leaves small stitch-like imperfections. It is also extremely expensive for large parts.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Ok, here is one of the buildings we scanned at work:

We Laser scanned it, then created a 3d archtectural Desktop Model of it, and then Printed it in 3d.

You can see it looks "Sploty" well thats because they painted it with spray paint for some reason. Not really sure why.

But to give you an idea, my keyboard is in the background for scale. This model cost us $40 in materials. and its hollow!
    This was done as a test to see how one of our buildigns would come out. We realized many parts like the windows and roof were too thin and just crumbled when he took it out of the machine. We are planning to remake it and fix a few areas. I also noticed that they put too much ca glue on it, so it pooled on the the outside. It took some of the detail away.