Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Modder New Ideas.

Anodized

Default New Modder New Ideas.

Heya folks been a long time lurker here. Since about when Blackout started. I have wanted to start modding for wuite some time but due to apartment living have not yet been able to find a suitable workspace.

enter my first idea. I have recently moved into a side by side with garage space but no extra space for a traditional work bench. So.... I plan on making a wall mounted collapsable workbench. I am at work right now but I will try and get some pics of my sketches up in the next few days. I need to get some measurements from the garage to make a google sketchup.

Now the bench will be hinged to the wall and will fold down. I have a few ideas for the locking mechanism to keep the bench up and stable while working on it. The first idea was two traditional legs coming from the front corners. and from the bottom of each leg would have a hinged connector that would attatch to the garage wall at the bottom so it would look like a box without sides.

My second idea for that would be to make a lock much like you would find on the underside of a folding table. I have heard that part can be purchased but I also have considered making one from wood. the wood one would have 4 interlocking planks hinged in the middle (two on each side of the hinge) with a sliding color to lock it all in place.

As I will be building this I will also be purchasing tools for the project. Right now I have a great tool chest but very few tools. specifically some wrenches and sockets hammers screwdrivers and as far as power goes only a dremel type and a power drill.

After this project is completed I will then begin my mod. which will be based on a clean rounded look.

So yeah Hi to everyone you all have been insiping to me and I hope I can contribute soon to the fantastic mods I see around here.

Default Re: New Modder New Ideas.

Welcome to the best modding forums on the web!

Sounds like a great plan, I wish I had something like this. My work bench right now is a 1.5' x 2.5' collapsable table . I have a pretty nice setup to use that my dad built, but it's littered with crap and other stuff I don't feel like dealing with.

Good luck on the work bench!
    RIP Bucko

Welcome to the forums!
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Case Wizard

Logging onto to TBCS at work

Hope you get that table finished soon so you can start modding.

Austral Alien

A friend did something similar because he only had limited space in his shed.
    He used chains coming from the ceiling as his supports so he didn't need to worry about what was on the floor for legs to go down to. It had a few heavy duty hinges coming from the wall to the bench, and the chains joined in through a steel plate with a notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Anodized

That might be easier with the chains. But I would be worries about reducing my workable space having to go around the chains. but... that would be very stable and easy to set up.

Welcome to TBCS! Do you always use the garage? If not you could use the garage (or part of it) as a workspace...
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?

Anodized

Unfortunatly no I wont be able to dedicate part of the garage to my workspace. With us having 2 cars and limited parking space I pretty much have to park one in the garage. and the other side is our neighbors. I am also going to make a drop down painting booth. its gonna be cool heh.

Anodized

Good news I just contacted my friend and he is pretty sure they have some countertop just laying around. He said if they still have it its mine for FREE. He also will be able to get my 2x4's excetera for nothing as well. Very good news.

Does anyone have any good ideas for how (if I get countertop) I should frame it for structural strength if at all?

Anodized

The spray booth I am building I saw somone do somewhere.... maybe here not sure. I will be using thin pvc pipe to make a series of squares which I will connect with sheets of plastic. forming a box of plastic with pvc ribs. this I will connect to the ceiling and then with a pully system be able to raise and lower it. I will have to look into exhaust fans and tubing but I am a ways from case painting.

Edit: hmmm sorry for the multiple posts. kinda brainstorming at work between customers.