Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC vs. Mac

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: PC vs. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    The commercial where the PC is getting upgrades to handle vista is dumb because the MAC implies that it never needs upgrades. Really? Do you think I could sue for false advertising if I try to install OSX onto one of these?

Or how about one of these? This one at least had games.

Good point, for PCs, you can upgrade any few components that aren't compatible with a new OS, but with Macs, you have to buy a whole new system, usually one that you can't customize yourself (at least from what I've seen).

Quote Originally Posted by Guttenaffe View Post
    These updates are a GOOD thing though, without them there are security holes in your network. So system uptime isn't anything to be proud of, I don't get why people think this is important at all.

At SGI it was important that certain systems NEVER (or rarely) went offline. This was due to contractual obligations to the government and other large companies. If you build the OS right in the first place, no reboot should be required most of the time. One particular system at sgi was up for over 3 years straight! At sgi I supported the OS build group and They absolutely hated M$'s releases. Always claiming that they release beta-ware and have the users who pay for the product, do the beta testing...

Also isn’t Mac’s OS X based off BSD anyhow?

FreeBSD to be exact...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I prefer Windows, but that doesn't mean i have anything against macs. Macs are great. The only thing i hate about Macs is whinny little bitch fanboys. I'm not saying that Windows fanboys are much better, but for some reason, Mac fanboys always come across as really arrogant and ill-informed to me, which pisses me off. The main reason is that, despite all the Mac's actual advantages, they continually profess either stupid little things or flat out lies as the 'reason that Macs are better'. I think you know what i mean.

-Dave
    It's those fanboys cutting across 3 lanes of traffic in their new (insert foreign big richard car name here), to make a right into the Apple campus that piss me off. I mean really, you know the turn is coming up, that lane is mostly empty, why you gotta speed around me, cut me off to get in that lane!?! This happens EVERY day!

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post

Good point, for PCs, you can upgrade any few components that aren't compatible with a new OS, but with Macs, you have to buy a whole new system, usually one that you can't customize yourself (at least from what I've seen).
    I had this exact argument with my MACFanatic friend...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

macs and pcs are like slavery. youll need a civil war to finally settle the issue

freakin Mac diehards (NOT a bad thing)
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    The whole "right click" thing is completely untrue anymore. You can connect any regular old usb mouse and the right click is actually pretty functional. Even the apple mighty mouse or whatever its called has a right button. Not to mention two side buttons and a scroll ball. Its kind of wierd though. The side buttons are pressure sensitive and it doesn't feel right to me. Ill get a link up for those who may not have seen it. Its pretty old. On the other hand... i have no clue why apple still hasn't implemented a right click on their laptops. ctrl-click gets so annoying after awhile.

Edit: mighty mouse Its kinda funky. It has some nice tech in my opinion but im not going to say its the greatest mouse ever.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

On the laptops all you need is to have two fingers on the pad and then click like normal. two fingers to scroll, two fingers+click to right click, hitting Ctr all the time got annoying so I looked around and found it.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    -Mark Twain

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Ah, thanks i forgot about that. I never enabled it because I thought it seemed weird at first but its not that bad.

Still. I think a good point is to be made...

Multiple mouse buttons is crazy and to complicated yet trying to memorize ridiculous and sometimes asinine hot keys is PERFECTLY acceptable lol

Although in all fairness the most common hot keys are pretty easy to remember and sometimes mirror their PC counterparts.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    Excellent points Gutte. It's truly amazing that windows runs at all considering the the vast amount of apps you can throw at it. People don't even consider that it's just staggering what these machines will put up with and run just fine.

For me its all about versatility. I'd like to see a Mac batch process video clips while simultaneously running a game in a window.
    Mac is sorry. They come with great hardware, but they don't utilize it to the maximum extent. They don't allow for overclocking of any kind, and there isn't a BIOS. Windows was great up to ME, which was MSes screwup. Then shortly after, a nicely styled GUI called XP came out. All XP does is take up RAM to load all the pretty features. I think the only legit OS is Ubuntu. Looks nice, fast, and utilizes the system to the maximum extent.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I think the only legit OS is Ubuntu.
    Not easy to pick up and learn; and it's murder trying to install and run applications on linux, especially to a noob. That's why OSX and Windows are so damn popular.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I had Ubuntu for about a week or two. You _quickly_ realize why its free and why others are not. Thats why I don't take sides with micro or mac anymore. Cuz at least they aren't Linux based.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    I had Ubuntu for about a week or two. You _quickly_ realize why its free and why others are not. Thats why I don't take sides with micro or mac anymore. Cuz at least they aren't Linux based.
    Actually OSX _is_ linux based. (FreeBSD is a linux variant). Apple has just done a _really_ good job of reworking all the user interface and the overall experience for the end user.

BTW I was talking with my MACfanatic friend last night at the Hockey game and I asked him how easy it was to upgrade his system (the new one he just bought), He looked at me and answered: "Not really sure if you can upgrade it. I think the cpu is hardwired into the mobo (not sure if this is true or not), but since it works fine for me, why would I want to upgrade it?" My only answer was "More power!" He mentioned that he had not opened up any of the last 3 mac's he bought, including his laptop, he just bought a new system.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...