Page 1 of 30 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitor MOD

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Post Monitor MOD

I'm sure a few of you guys have seen this monitor mod before:

I would like to use a similar techinque with the led lite panel but make it more costume then a boring square panel. My problem is when he took apart the monitor he installed a new metal frame on the back of the monitor.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me what kind of frame that is and if I can adjust it to fit my monitor. The monitor he used is a Samtron 51S 15"

and my monitor is a ViewSonic Q19WB-2 Black 19".

Default Re: Monitor MOD

You could!
    All you have to do is get a bigger piece of plexi and space the leds out further
    Idk how he wired them though but you could.

I get that part. I'm talking about the metal frame for the back on the monitor.

A lot of stuff like that is custo built.

You could try building your own frame.

Now that's a whole different world for me but I guess if I want to take this seriously I have to jump in the deep end and see if I can swim. I know nothing about metal fabrication. Anyone have any advice or pointers?

1st thing about anything involving fabrication.

take your bloody time.

What kind of tools are you packing also? Some things off the top of my head are (of course) dremel, a vise, rivet gun, drill, annnnd of ccourse i have to say this...

A hammer ^.^

Instead of diving RIGHT into the deep end. Get some practice in. Get a feel for the metal, and how the tools deal with it. Practice cutting the metal, and making bends.

If your still in highschool, goto your autoshop class (If you have one) and ask for some spare sheet metal. Scraps or something.

Well I'm way past high school my friend. I do have a dremel, drill and of course a hammer. I've been think about buying some tools but not really sure what I should spend my money on DeWalt, Black & Decker, Craftsman and the sort. I'm currently in the USMC. So until I purchase the tools I need I can get them from friends or use at the hobby shop on base.

I was planning on getting some spare material like you suggested and play around with it a bit to get a feel for it. I just wasn't planning on making a metal frame for a monitor for my first mod.

I think I need to get my plans completely thought out and written down, maybe modeled out on that sketchup program.

If you want I can post you a link to the worklog of the guy that made that screen

EDit Im sorry but it appears there website has been subspended

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

lol, (Wasnt sure, you get a lot of highschoolers as well on this board).

Cool, least you can get your equipment somewhere lol.

Yea, with any mod, its REALLY good to either freehand sketch design it, or use a 3d program to help you out.

You dont want to be going with a mod, that 3/4 the way through you say "Im not really diggin this".

EDIT :
    Look around at some of the custom fabricated cases. Look at Crimson skys worklogs (Mainly Nighthawk), look at Tribaloverkills' worklogs, and really, just take note of any of the worklogs for tips and tricks within the forum. Its a wealth of knowledge.
    Last edited by Ichbin; 03-03-2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Adding stuff

Yeah I've been looking around this site and saw all the great worklogs posted here thought I would give it a go. I was playing around in sketch last night. Man the program going to take me a minute to get the hang of it. It'll be a while before I can post any pix of my idea for the monitor mod on here though.

Oh yeah by the way I already have the link to the original red led monitor mod.