Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Well, I almost got the front panel finished over the weekend, but as always, I come up with more
    ideas and have no choice but to act on them (I swear it will be my undoing!). In the process of
    filling in the areas around the insignia, lcd cluster, and IO panel, I felt the need to add more detail
    elements (why break precedent, right?) These details will give more depth to the front panel,
    which will be consistent with the side panels and landing bay.

So I started making a box with styrene, and threw in some wood dowels and acrylic rod for good measure.

This box will be located just under the insignia and dvd drive.

From the front, it looks like a bunch of conduit running up through the panel. It will get the rib treatment
    and more styrene to cover up the left and right sides.

Just below that, the BSG ligature will be placed. I cut a styrene frame to mark its location.

And here it is roughed in. This was laser cut from 1/8" black acrylic. Thanks again to Brian from ModdersMart!

Here is a closer shot. I should have put the ruler in the frame for reference, but the entire ligature is only 4" wide.

Before I permanently glue the lettering down, I wanted to lay down the remaining armor panels.

So no, the front panel is not done, but it's getting there! If I can restrain myself from making this thing
    more complicated, I might actually finish it this week. lol Stay tuned...
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Looks great mate, fantastic work.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

That title looks awesome, this mod is blowing me away! BTW- love the sig.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I see another Hall of Fame casemod here. I will eat both my shoes if this doesn't end up in it.

Thanks guys!

@ Franklin, I hope you dont have to eat your shoes. lol!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

FRONT PANEL ALMOST DONE!!

I got a bunch of work done on the front panel over the holidays! So without further ado, here are the pics!
    After finishing the bottom conduit box, I began to extend it on both sides to meet up with the curving panel.
    I also added ribs to look like they run vertically underneath the panel and terminate at the insignia.

Here's a shot looking down into the conduit box. You can see I made it tall enough so the bottom cannot be seen.

Here is the top conduit box that will go above the insignia. Sorry I didn't realize it was upside down when I took the pic.

Here it is in its place behind the lcd screens.

I made a 1/8" styrene bulkhead for it to mount to.

Once that was in place, the arduous skinning process continued for both sides. A lot of test fitting was necessary
    to get them to fill in the areas with no gaps or overlaps.

I glued a strip of styrene ribbing down the edges of the front panel to raise the armor up even with the side panels.
    You will see how they go together once I get them on the case for a trial fit.

Almost completely covered up.

The second layer of armor paneling goes on, same as before.

After many hours, here is the result.

I just have the top section to do, behind the LCD screens, which I will finish up tomorrow.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Mate this is FANTASTIC!, everything looks great. I love your work. +rep
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

This mod is incredible!
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    I see another Hall of Fame casemod here. I will eat both my shoes if this doesn't end up in it.
    Hmmmm....this puts me in a fun situation...but I can't let that fate befall my good friend. However, don't you wear wooden shoes?

Thou shalt be featured! (when complete that is)
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Thanks guys.

@ jdbnsn: wow, and I thought getting moved to the Featured Logs section was a significant feat! It would be an honor and a privilege to be considered for the TBCS hall of fame. So much so that it has given me new motivation to work on this even more! Thanks man!