Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Way to get your son involved! +rep. I bet he was thrilled to help dad with his computer.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRacer27 View Post
    Way to get your son involved! +rep. I bet he was thrilled to help dad with his computer.
    Thanks Indy. Yeah, he is constantly wanting to help me. Unfortunately, most of the work has included sharp knives and dremel work, so I've had to deny him many times. But this time I relented and allowed him to sand some filler for me (a seemingly harmless task, but my kid figured out a way to cause some damage! He decided our living room table needed sanding as well LOL!).

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

---------------
    MYSTERY MODULE REVEALED!
    ---------------

OK, here it is: The mystery module is neither a dual res, nor ambient light tubes, but an integral part of a
    functional blast door mechanism! That's right folks, BSG will have fully operational motorized blast doors,
    one on each side.

So far I've got both doors built, and one side totally loaded up onto the spool. Check it out:

The doors themselves are made up of .010 sheets and .040 strips of styrene, spaced 1/8" apart.

The result is a strong but flexible door that looks and acts like a segmented garage roll-up type door.

I glued styrene C-channel to the top and bottom of a piece of clear acrylic. These will be the tracks in which the doors will travel.

Here is the whole thing positioned in the side panel. I forgot to take pictures of it, but I added a gentle curve
    to the acrylic on the front end heading towards the hard drive cage.

The door in its closed position.

I had to cut away part of the drive cage to allow the doors to pass through to the spool.

To provide a smooth corner for the doors to travel around, I cut a channel out of a piece of acrylic tubing
    and fit it over the sharp edge of the drive cage.

A shot from the front...

A shot from the side...

Here is the panel on the case, with the blast door in its fully open position. It could open more,
    but the drive cage's posterior support beam is right there with nothing exciting to see beyond
    that, so there's no need to open any further.

Shot from the front. You can see the door reeled up on the spool, demonstrating how flexible it is.

Now it's on to the other side to finish the tracks and door fitment. I'm still waiting on the servos and limit switches,
    so I won't be able to finish the blast door assembly until then. But it's not like I won't have any work to do while I'm waiting! lol

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

That looks bloody FANTASTIC. Excellent work as always Boddaker, keep it up.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

All I can say is ... WOW!

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

Bod, that is an absolute ingenious design....

im really diggin your take on the sliding doors

i just bought myself that same case.... i plan on it being next after my current project... i hope my ideas can compare to the beauty youve put into this mod

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Nice work as allways! The construcion is cool, but takes a lot of space. You could really use the tubes as a Dual-Res
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

Sliding doors rock.

+reppage for you me thinks.

Thanks guys! You all rock!

So since I obviously won't be finishing this case by this next weekend (PDXLAN11), I'm still
    going to bring it up and just throw my system into it as is. I just had to fab up a special hard drive
    mount for the dual Raptors.

I cut some solid black acrylic pieces and fit them into the case.

Then I took the largest piece and cut sections out for the drives. I used a couple spare drives as templates.

Here they are positioned in the case.

Then I cut two more strips of acrylic, drilled the mouning holes, glued them to the main piece,
    and added some triangle gussets for strength.

Here's a tip: in order to make sure eveything fits the way they're supposed to, screw the pieces
    onto the drives first, then glue them down. This will ensure the mounting holes will line up to the drives
    after the glue has dried.

I'm building the system tonight, so hopefully I will have another update for you tomorrow, with pics of a
    fully primed, semi-complete rig!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Those Raptors are going to look awesome in there buddy, can't wait for a complete pic of the rig up and running.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08