Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Small update. Basically got more of the same done. Almost got one side completed!

Anyway, here's a few more shots:

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Looking awsome. The patience you have just exemplifies the craftsmanship. Anxious to see this one complete.

I'm Jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    And thanks Eclecticos for that link, I may need more schematics when I get to the interior.
    What are you planning to do to the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos
    What are you planning to do to the inside?
    That, my friend, is a secret and you'll have to wait and see!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Ok here we go- a Sunday night update actually posted on Sunday!

Well I finished one side of the ribbing, so I thought I would do one panel of the outer armor to see how it looks on there.
    I am using a couple sheets of styrene, one .040 and one .010.

I took the sheet of .040 and cut out the shape, after making a paper pattern.

Then on the .010, I outlined the same shape and drew some squares, triangles, and other shapes according to
    the reference pic.

I took an exacto knife to it, almost cutting each shape out, but leaving them attached for now. I matched it up
    to the main piece and taped the ends together.

Now that I mated them up how I want them, I open it up and put a dab of glue under each panel.

Fold it back over and glue it down.

After a few minutes, I can pull off the leftovers, completing all the cuts along the way.

And voila! We have raised armor paneling! Much easier than cutting them out and pasting them on individually.

A shot of the panel in place on the landing bay. It's just taped on for now, because I will need to paint
    underneath it before permanently gluing it down.

Now it is on to the other side of ribbing. It may be a while 'til my next post, because I won't be doing
    anything different and exciting for some time. At least until I do the ends.

Coming on a pearler.

Actually lookin' BSG like.

This mod will be amazing. Love to see worklogs like this with materials I didn't even know. That styrene is a very interesting material.

Oh my effing ghod, Bod.... this thing is going to be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Stellar construction detail!

Styrene... I have never used it. Where do you get it from? Hobby shops? And am I corret in seeing that it is semi rigid but is bendable with a little heat? Very good! How is it after it cools? Is it flexable? brittle? Just curious....

I love the original BSG, and I have loved the few BSG's that I have caught on TV (almost made me start watching the TV again... *almost*)

The use of that Stacker is a perfect use for the style of that case! Your use of a foam mold and plastic is a stroke of genius! I had never heard of that stuff, else I would have used that on the BOSS scoop! Much better results!

(madly scribbles notes down in notepad)

I just wanted to chime in and say, "Beautiful work bro!" I am watching this thing like a hawk!

/me subscribed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-Daddy View Post
    Oh my effing ghod, Bod.... this thing is going to be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Stellar construction detail!

Styrene... I have never used it. Where do you get it from? Hobby shops? And am I corret in seeing that it is semi rigid but is bendable with a little heat? Very good! How is it after it cools? Is it flexable? brittle? Just curious....

I love the original BSG, and I have loved the few BSG's that I have caught on TV (almost made me start watching the TV again... *almost*)

The use of that Stacker is a perfect use for the style of that case! Your use of a foam mold and plastic is a stroke of genius! I had never heard of that stuff, else I would have used that on the BOSS scoop! Much better results!

(madly scribbles notes down in notepad)

I just wanted to chime in and say, "Beautiful work bro!" I am watching this thing like a hawk!

/me subscribed!
    Wow thanks man!

Yeah any hobby store will have it. I got my sheets from hobbylinc.
    Those strips are somewhat flexible, but can turn into a wet noodle with very little heat. Once cooled it regains its rigidity.

I'm taking a bit of a break right now, since we just had an addition to our family last week. A beautiful baby girl! :p Our second one, so as you can imagine my spare time has all but disappeared. Once we get into some semblance of a routine, I might be able to sneak out to the garage from time to time. We'll see how it goes. Right now, I am just basking in the glow of our new daughter and lovin' life!

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Wow thanks man!

Yeah any hobby store will have it. I got my sheets from hobbylinc.
    Those strips are somewhat flexible, but can turn into a wet noodle with very little heat. Once cooled it regains its rigidity.

I'm taking a bit of a break right now, since we just had an addition to our family last week. A beautiful baby girl! :p Our second one, so as you can imagine my spare time has all but disappeared. Once we get into some semblance of a routine, I might be able to sneak out to the garage from time to time. We'll see how it goes. Right now, I am just basking in the glow of our new daughter and lovin' life!

Babies really are the ultimate form of modding, if you think about it in the right light!

Congrats bro! More so on the new addition than this sweet mod! I know *right* where you are, as when our 2nd came in, my modding time went straight out the window, and she stole my wittle heart....

Kudos to you, the wife and the fam! I assume that everyone is happy and healthy? Wifey doing well?