Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser Sensor button?

Default Re: Laser Sensor button?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehonkey View Post
    Anyone here know how to make a PCB design out of a wire schemetic?
    i do pcb design with PCAD but as in free software not sure try the trusty google(i can try to design something for you if you want)

Who said being good....was.......good!

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilTeck View Post
    i do pcb design with PCAD but as in free software not sure try the trusty google(i can try to design something for you if you want)
    If you can that would be great. The setup I'm using is shown on the link http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/sensor2.htm. I'm not sure how that PCB designs work but I would like it as small as possible since I'll need 3 of these setups in all in tight area.

I tried google and come up with http://www.new-wave-concepts.com/ed/circuit.html but on the demo it won't let you convert the schematic into a PCB setup.
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

I couldn't wait.:p So I opened up one of the spare computers I have and took the pwr button wires off. Hooked them up to the relay. I had to use a external 12Vdc battery for the main LDR circuit board. Then I said a quick pray to the god of modding, that would be you Crimson Sky just joking , and than I covered the LDR sensor with the shadow of my hand and it powered up. Man it felt cool as hell to hear that relic of a computer spoiling up. Then I ran my shadow over the switch again and that mother powered down with no problem. Now the only thing I need to work out is to set the LDR sensor along with the LED light back into a recessed hole so that the room light won't affect it. I wouldn't want the computer to turn on/off ever time I enter/leave the room and turn the room light on/off. Oh yeah I'll explain later exactly what mod I plan on using this light activated switch on after I complete my current Monitor Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehonkey View Post
    I couldn't wait.:p So I opened up one of the spare computers I have and took the pwr button wires off. Hooked them up to the relay then I shot one of the spare connectors from the computer's pwr supply and found out that it has exactly 12Vdc going through it so I hooked that up to power up the LDR circuit board. Then I said a quick pray to the god of modding, that would be you Crimson Sky just joking , and than I covered the LDR sensor with the shadow of my hand and it powered up. Man it felt cool as hell to hear that relic of a computer spoiling up. Then I ran my shadow over the switch again and that mother powered down with no problem. Now the only thing I need to work out is to set the LDR sensor along with the LED light back into a recessed hole so that the room light won't affect it. I wouldn't want the computer to turn on/off ever time I enter/leave the room and turn the room light on/off. Oh yeah I'll explain later exactly what mod I plan on using this light activated switch on after I complete my current Monitor Mod.
    cool glad it worked like you want it to,so i take it you don't need a pcb layout? if you do just send me(e-mail) a list of exact part #'s and i can whip something up in about a hour or two.

Who said being good....was.......good!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    Outstanding work man!

Oh don't worry I'll play around with my video camera if I get a chance this weekend (wife is throwing a Easter Party). Then see about putting it on YouTube or something.

I've video taped the sensor in action with my DCR-DVD92. If you're not fimilar with this camera it burns the videos directly to a mini dvd disc. My problem is I have no idea how to transfer the video from the disc to a format I can upload to YouTube. As you probably can tell I've never tried to do this so any advice or links you guys can give me would be helpful.

I said screw the dvd video camera and used my web cam. I did a quick edit job, threw in the first audio track I could fine from a DJ buddy of mine and I just got done uploading it to YouTube so here you go. Enjoy

I took some still shots of the test switch I made to go along with the video I posted earlier.

Just an overall look at the switch.

Test setup in a toilet paper roll.

Closeup at a different angle

Inside the computer. Breadboard setup (yes I know it's a mess). I did find 5Vdc power source on the motherboard to power up the LED but I still have to use an external 12Vdc to run the board. I would like for this setup to run completely off the PSU though.

I'm currently trying to build up a PCB design with the help of others on this forum and then I plan on using a photo-etching method to make a professional looking circuit board. If that doesn't happen then I'll just resort back to using a plain Jane generic board like this one.

Haha...brilliant. What are you going to use this for?

+Rep for the ghetto loo roll tube mod!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!