Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new compy desk

Default Re: new compy desk

nuff said

I was doing a cleaning of an office and they were throwing away some white laminate boards away. I asked if I could keep the stuff. Took it home and it snapped together to make two 6' flat drafting tables. (Aluminum edges so I figure that was for the old T-squares?) Both have 6' foot drawers in them. Great computer desks. Also works great in that I have my monitor on a swing arm.

Fresh Paint

What if there was a square depression in the desk where your laptop rests when not in use and you flip up the 'lid' and it is visible. Just a thought

So I've for the most part been without internet for the past two weeks...and thus havent been able to update...
    but attached is a screen shot of the plan view of the desk done in Autocad. no dimensions added due to intellectual property.

any questions just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by moojoe View Post
    So I've for the most part been without internet for the past two weeks...and thus havent been able to update...
    but attached is a screen shot of the plan view of the desk done in Autocad. no dimensions added due to intellectual property.

any questions just ask...
    Why the drafting table when you have AutoCad????
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

number of reasons.
    firstly, in my line of work, there are always revisions to the origional. this way, I can just lay out the prints of my draftings and tranfer the corrections to autocad
    secondly, while I use cad all the time, and love it, im still one for hand drafting. while I dont do it for that much, when I do, I love it, and thus need the table.
    that, and I have another year of hand drafting in school, and want to keep drafting to keep my skills up when im not in school...

Quote Originally Posted by moojoe View Post
    number of reasons.
    firstly, in my line of work, there are always revisions to the origional. this way, I can just lay out the prints of my draftings and tranfer the corrections to autocad
    secondly, while I use cad all the time, and love it, im still one for hand drafting. while I dont do it for that much, when I do, I love it, and thus need the table.
    that, and I have another year of hand drafting in school, and want to keep drafting to keep my skills up when im not in school...
    In my line of work, I do lots of cad. I draw out rooms to put major medical equipment in hospitals, clinics and doctors offices. I used to do them by hand but ever since my company gave me cad programs I don't do them by hand any more.
    The last time I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was another train headed towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tale Gunner View Post
    In my line of work, I do lots of cad. I draw out rooms to put major medical equipment in hospitals, clinics and doctors offices. I used to do them by hand but ever since my company gave me cad programs I don't do them by hand any more.
    every single plate I do for work, I do in CAD, it just doesnt look good to my clients if I hand them draftings done by hand.
    but I love the satisifaction of completing a plate by hand. sometimes drafting by hand sucks, but most of the time, its so rewarding when you just stand back and look at it. thus why I still draft a lot of personal things by hand, as long as they're no bigger then a few plates. thus why im cadding this desk, that and im currently at revision 14 and I have only drafted about 1/3 of the construction.

I might draw a poor sketch of something I want to build just to lay out the dimensions - but my best work is done in making the item, not drawing it. If I can see it - I can draw it; if I can draw it - I can build it.
    I'm not knocking your use of CAD... I just don't have a need to make a fancy drawing to build something. Generally as I build it, I decide something is not right, or some other way will be better.
    Agnat

Yea, I know what you mean, and I used to do it that way, but this is what I do on a for my industry, so im quite used to it. im handed "designer sketches" which show exactly that, its just a rough sketch showing what the designer wants, I then make technical and construction drawings, and hand them off to my master carpenter who then goes and builds the object with his carpentry crew.
    because of this, I cad pretty much everything, no matter how simple it is, since its just what Im used to. not to mention, a hell of a lot more accurate.