• Yes

17 44.74%
  • No

21 55.26%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Vista worth It?

Guardian

Default Is Vista worth It?

Since stuff is occuring on the other topics, I'll keep the poll Yes or No. I'll respect everyones opinions.

I mean, at first when it came out, I was just thought it was XP with a new skin, and it probabley is, exept M$ is pushing it too far.

I am building a new rig for gaming, and I have a brand new Windows Media Center Edition, thing is I want to play halo 2, I loved it on the xbox, but now if its coming out for pc, (Keyboard + Mouse = pawnage) Its like Vista-only. So I guess I'm forced to purchase vista.

I just wanted to know, maybe some of you have it, I read one of you guys bought a Vista laptop. Is it worth it? Is it the same stuff? Whatsit like.

1 more rant: The damn price. I dont want to buy system builders becuase maybe if my system dies, I want to use it on another system. The System Builders is like $90, Normal is $150..jesus....

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Is Vista worth It?

I say no. Not yet anyway. There are a lot of incompatibility issues still, especially with games. DX10 is a pull, but as of yet no games use it. Plus, all the fancy doodads and whatnot crap they added to it require a beefier system to run. To most here I think a vista ready PC isnt an issue but it tells me that if you need all of these things just to handle the OS, its pulling a lot more from you system resources, and slowing down everything you do. IMHO, it isnt worth the price tag. Personally, I am going to wait it out until they get a few band-aids slapped on it and its a little more efficient. That or I absolutely have to to run a DX10 game, whichever comes first. My 2c

Dude...totally!

i vote yes, but only because itll be worth it in the long run. i got it just because it was either XP SP2 or Vista Home premium, and i wanted to plan for the future. as soon as the 8800 series gets cheap, and decent DX10 games come out ill be ready to go.

there are studies, or something, that say that vista is actually less secure than XP, but thats cuz its new. so i expected it.

also, you may want to make sure your machine is beefed up for vista. im running a single gig stick of ram in single channel til i can afford better, and it hurts. plus SATA is highly recommended. im runing a POS ide drive and my load times are still decent.

if you plan on a new rig, go vista, you cant lose, IMO

and if you like eye candy, Aero is a sight for sore eyes. its not spectacular, but it beats the hell out of XP.

compatibility issues will be annoying, and older hardware may never be supported, like the media keys on my wireless keyboard, but at the same time, you cant avoid the inevitable switch over

I'm torn on it. I have Beta 2 and RC1 copies of Vista Ultimate. I really liked the integrated media center with it. I also have a full version of Vista Enterprise. Again, nice enough for what it is, but I can't get the wife used to it, so I'm dual booting with XP. Minty and I discovered something the other day while I was helping him with his home network/domain. He has a laptop with Vista on it, and when the domain was up, Vista saw it and asked him if he wanted to connect to the domain. I thought that was pretty cool.

My recommendation in the end, if you don't have it yet, wait until SP1, and then definitely pick it up.

oh god no, not sure if it's just me but i HATE vista, too much security that you cant disable, lot of issues right now (though that should get cleared up) HUGE memory hog, about 312MB used up in my case and theres nothing really new to it, it's like a 100 dollar xp service pack that they havent debugged in my opinion

no its ****ing horrible. My cousin just got a new gaming rig from dell and none of the games he bought (bf2142) work or work without glitches. I say wait until it has more support and dx10 games.

Vista scares me. I feel like it's mostly a tactic to own our lives. I think I'm going to push XP Pro sp2 for as long as it can go. I'm satisfied with it for now because all I'm running is Photoshop, iTunes, Firefox and Solitaire.

I'm thinking Vista's going to be sweet on my new laptop, as i'm only planning to run things like MS Office and Eclipse on it.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Could'nt agree more Dave. I use my Toshiba laptop (with Vista Home Premium.) I have MS Office 2007 Enterprise Edition With a few other bits and it runs like a dream. Plus I don't know what everyones issue is with it - Mine works fine with pretty much everything!

-gaz

The only thing is is that people with less-than-up-to-date comps need to upgrade everything in order to run it. Or you buy a new one. costs about the same. hard choice!
    Im Back Baby!
    Yeah, I just quoted Bender Bending Rodriguez, got a problem?