Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Hated Family in America

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Most Hated Family in America

http://www.markcrosby.co.uk/blog/archives/23

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6507971.stm

They are a pretty good family outside of what they are doing. Sort of like the picture perfect family. Pff, so what. I don't care how "perfect" they seem. What they are doing is so disgustingly wrong. Especially their leader dude, gramps was it?

"He was a very verbal, very persuasive, an extremely compelling speaker."

Heh, reminds me of Hitler.

Anyways, probably old news. I'm just a lil slow to the draw sometimes.

**Found this on digg...

@HunterTV

I know almost all of the Personally, I went to school with all them. They're very normal people. Get them behind a picket sign and it's a different story, but for the most part, they're all very normal and nice.

I didn't read the whole article, I kind of skimmed it, but I don't know if they touched on the family members who have basically disassociated themselves with the family. FIrst, Fred Phelps (Gramps) did have a gay son. He would never admit that though. One of his grandchildren, Jason, was a year older than me and we knew eachother pretty well. He just recently escaped the grasp of his family, and I think is living with his girlfriend. Another one of Fred's sons lives in Canada and has always spoke out against his father.

Another interesting thing is how the Topeka handles the Phelps family. Our Mayor, Bill Bunten, writes a personal letter to the mayor of every city that the Phelps picket (the funerals, not sure about the homosexual things) and apologizes for how they act and states that our community doesn't condone their actions.

To sum it up, they're not all hate all the time, and for the most part they're all rather normal people. With that said, I don't agree with what they do and they're message of a hateful God.
    HELLO! It all makes sense now...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Most Hated Family in America

This disgusts me. I've seen stuff about these losers before, and it makes me want to scream. I'm not gay, but I have no problem with gay people. They are just as nice of people as any straight person I know. And if they hate America so much, they should get the **** out of here and leave us normal people alone. Or better yet, they could do one better and just drive off of a cliff.
    RIP Bucko

/sigh.... thats all i can say.

edit: I hope all of you non-american members of this site, realize that we Americans are not all like this. I also hope that you don't believe all of the stereotypes put forth to you by others about us. I certainly do not believe the stereotypes that I hear about other countries.
    Don't worry about that. Every country has their crazies.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

tinfoil-underwear

I saw... don't remember where...

This group of bikers, many veterans, get together, and they follow this family around.

Then, when the family starts screaming their crap and stuff, the bikers roar their motorcycles.

In soldiers' funerals, the bikers do a human barrier between this dumbass family and the grieving families of our heroes.

Shame on them...

I once read, don't remember who said it (and paraphrased):::
    I don't agree with your point of view... but I'll fight till the end to defend your right to express it.
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

I personally attribute their actions to a totally screwed up interpretation of religion based on the actions of the "Grandfather". Religious fanatics don't just wear turbins...

Also Free speech != hate speech. There are responsibilities that go along with the rights granted in this country, too bad they are never spoken of. Just like screaming "fire" in a theatre can get you arrested and thrown in jail. Same with spouting hate speech that incites a riot can get you the same punishment.

That said, yes, I agree with the free speech rights granted these lunatics. (same goes for the KKK, White Supremacists, JAL, Black panthers, etc...) They should just have a little more compassion for the families (last time I checked, the bible taught compassion) of these service men. If they truly want to protest the war, based on their beliefs, they should be standing outside of the whitehouse, screaming their hate to the president...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

why do we care what they do?
    as long as they aren't harming anyone it isn't our business to freaking debate their lives
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    as long as they aren't harming anyone it isn't our business to freaking debate their lives
    We care because of the effect on the families.

That is the point. By attending the funerals of slain soldiers, screaming hatefull things at the families of those soldiers IS harming someone. Maybe no "physical" harm is coming to the family, but the emotional pain is still there and valid.

Why do we debate anything that does not directly affect us?

If you don't care, don't open the thread or chime in. Very simple.

I think that's a rather flippant view of the problem. Everything they do is an affront to human progress, an insult to everything humans have ever achieved. It's so very easy to stand up and say "Free speech, they can do what they want, what business is it of ours?"

Where do you draw the line? Free speech shouldn't be abused like this; anyone who turns up to a soldier's funeral (someone who fought and died to defend these people) for the sole purpose of causing trouble doesn't deserve freedom of speech.

Use responsibly, as they say. Of course, you may disagree; perhaps you think these people have a right to do whatever they want. But what happens to that family's right to bury their son, father, friend, brother in peace? You're free to talk but they're forcing people to listen, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    .... they're forcing people to listen, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

-Dave
    This is spot on!

Back to the rights vs responsibilities issue.