Thread: New to computer gaming.

Fresh Paint

Default New to computer gaming.

Ok so i'm not really new to computer games. But you dont need much to play quake 3. I upgraded to play bf2 But now i am looking at new hardware since well, i want to actually see more than 10ft of the maps i play on.

I was thinking of upgrading to a nvidia 7900gs. I currently have a nvidia 7600.

My question is, I was playing ut2k4 and messing with settings I increased the resolution from 800x600 to 1024xwhateveritis. And my mouse pointer was lagging on the menu screans. now I believe i need a better videocard in order to increase the resolution but just kind of wandered if i was right.

I have a 2.93ghz celeron with 1 gig of ram. I am looking at a couple of asus boards and the c2d. Also want 2 gig of ocz ram.
    -------------------
    www.JohnBocook.com
    www.Myspace.com/Yourmamasohot
    This fourm wouldnt let me register because i can't spell twelve.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: New to computer gaming.

If the pointer is lagging my guess is its either the video card or lack of RAM. I'm not sure of the system requirements on UT2K4. Though I would think that the 7600 and a gig of RAM should run it fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticien View Post
    If the pointer is lagging my guess is its either the video card or lack of RAM. I'm not sure of the system requirements on UT2K4. Though I would think that the 7600 and a gig of RAM should run it fine.
    yeah a 7600GT is a superb card and 1 gig is also good
    do you have spyware or multiple programs running??
    maybe its the celeron i would trash that
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Fresh Paint

No i keep my computer pretty lean. Nothing really running, nothing in the background either.

Yeah the celeron is crap. I went with it because it was cheap and well i needed somthing quick. I'm looking at the c2d but with the new ones coming out in november i'm afraid to buy anything.
    -------------------
    www.JohnBocook.com
    www.Myspace.com/Yourmamasohot
    This fourm wouldnt let me register because i can't spell twelve.

Anodized

There is ALWAYS something coming out. do the upgrade when you want it. you have a better card than I do you should be able to run ut2k way harder thn 800x600 so there is some other problem. Try checking for dust on your heatsinks.