Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Infraction System, Probation and Bans - Q&A and Explanation

Rankenphile

Default The Infraction System, Probation and Bans - Q&A and Explanation

A Brief Explanation of the new Citation/Infraction System

The Infraction System is a new method of rules enforcement that we are starting here at TBCS, effective immediately. Quite simply, it will allow moderators and administrators a method of handing out warnings and punishments in response to inappropriate behavior here on the forum.
    The Infraction System is, essentially, a points system. There are three levels of severity in the system, currently. Each point will remain on your record for thirty days, and each concurrent point will reset the timer for previous active strikes.

For example, let’s say NoobUser321 has just joined the forums here at TBCS. He immediately jumps in, tells everyone where they are messing up, points the finger at everyone but themselves, uses harsh and inflammatory language and is basically rude and malicious to everyone. A moderator will contact them and let them know, “Hey, calm down, we’re all friends here.”

Well, NoobUser321 chooses to ignore this advice. He continues his tirade and ends up posting a vicious flame against another user. Inappropriate. ModeratorX sees this, sees that he’s been warned, and gives him an Infraction.

Strike 1.

Well, the first infraction is basically a warning. It puts NoobUser321 on Probation. This will last 30 days, and places a number of restrictions on what he can and can’t do. Specifically:

• Can no longer open or close their own threads.
    • Can no longer rate other's threads.
    • Cannot post polls.
    • Mailbox size becomes 50.
    • Cannot post events on the TBCS calendar.
    • Cannot set self to invisible.
    • Cannot use a custom title.
    • User loses all signature privileges.
    • User cannot use the reputation system.

Let’s say NoobUser321 learns his lesson and behaves himself for the whole 30 days. If he does, the infraction point will disappear automatically and he’ll be able to do all the things any other user can do – at least until he gets placed on Probation again.

But what if he doesn’t learn his lesson? Well, say 15 days from his original Infraction NoobUser321 decides to lose his temper and posts multiple hateful rants about the moderators, the admins and other users all across the forum. That’s a real big no-no. So what happens?

Strike 2.

If you get a second Infraction while your first is still active, you get an automatic 7-day ban. Go for a walk, take some deep breaths, we’ll see you in a week. This second infraction lasts a full 30 days, after which the user will be dropped to regular Probation status for 30 days. So, NoobUser321 manages to learn his lesson this time, doesn’t get anyone else angry at him, doesn’t go on any more crusades, he’s back in the clear. But what if he doesn’t?

Strike 3. You’re out.

If you get a third infraction while your first and second infractions are active, you’re out. You’ve been warned many times and you have shown that you cannot be a team player. Therefore, you’re banned for good. No coming back, you had your chance. Hopefully nobody will ever get this far, but it is here if we need it.
    Last edited by Rankenphile; 04-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Rankenphile

Default Re: The Infraction System - Q&A and Explanation

This program goes into effect today. Does anyone have any questions?

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Re: The Infraction System - Q&A and Explanation

None here. Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: The Infraction System, Probation and Bans - Q&A and Explanation

Looks good to me... a bit harsh, but you have to get the point across... now I'm a bit nervous even though I shouldn't be... I guess that when there's some kind of discipline system going on I tend to get nervous, and my mind amplifies how bad the situation looks, even though it's not that bad, but whatever...

Hopefully this should straighten up the little bit of oddness the forums have had recently/lately...

Rankenphile

None of this is in response to any "oddness", this is just a system we've been meaning to implement for a while now. No infractions of these actions given out without warnings first.

No reason to be nervous, this is just establishing a clear set of standards and methods of enforcement, rather than just doing everything from the hip.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I know that there's no reason to be nervous, I just get a little paranoid, like right now when I've got this awful sinus headache... and I also know it's not in response to oddness, but I was just thinking that it might help as some people had been getting a little too... confrontational.

With luck, we shouldn't have to use this system too often. It will be better to have a set system for doing things, that's necessary everywhere, unless it gets crazy like at school, where they take you to court and throw you out of school for any meaningless comment you may have made... but this is reasonable. Sorry if I'm seeming a little dense, I'm kinda light headed from allergies.

sounds like a plan
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

you guys should put jail bars under the user name
    where now you have the custom title

so everybody can see the jail bird

LOUD AND PROUD !

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead View Post
    you guys should put jail bars under the user name
    where now you have the custom title

so everybody can see the jail bird
    Hehehe I like!

+rep for the laugh!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Personally I don't like it. I think it's too much.
    I liked it the OLD way... people came in, spoke their piece and we all got along, some people liked what you had to say, some didn't, and some people didn't care... we could even argue intelligently but we didn't step on toes, and we didn't point fingers, and we weren't @$$holes.

We are all (or mostly) grown ups of some flavor. If you can't get along then go. If somebody is screwing around, a nice message from a mod should clear their head, if someone is still a jerk then boot them.

We aren't in grade school where we need time outs and a written paper trail of referrals, detentions, etc... Hell, this isn't even a democracy. It is an OWNED website which should function the way the OWNER says it should.
    If people can't read over the last 3000 posts about whatever and figure out the right way to talk to people then they don't need to be here.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein