Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer

Default Re: New Computer

Removing the shroud from the vid card is a bad idea. It's there to help direct the air from the fan over those cooling fins/heat pipes and out the back of the PC. Your temps are going to skyrocket, or worse, bork the ram chips.

There should be enough ambient air movement however to run that card at 800x600 provided that you don't install drivers or play any games.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 04-05-2007 at 08:09 AM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    a little cable organizing would be nice www.cableorganizer.com congrats on the new rig.

is that ghetto tape I see on the inside???!! Yeesh. Makes my skin crawl.
    Heres another great place for sleeving (lots of pretty UV colors)

ArcticMod

seeing your pictures makes me wish I had 40 gazillion bucks to drop on a new comp

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by dfigravity View Post
    seeing your pictures makes me wish I had 40 gazillion bucks to drop on a new comp
    Just like his parents did? I wish my parents got me stuff like that when I was 14.
    Hence why we suggested putting the Video Card shroud back on. I can't imagine they would be impressed if he borked the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    Would that still apply if you were watercooling? or would you just try to assimilate a GPU block for the vram?
    Hmmm..I know some blocks cover the GPU and RAM, but some require that you install RAM heatsinks and have some airflow over them. Even a small amount of moving air will help the ramsinks. The RAM is basically on the opposite side of the GPU on these 7900's for instance:

The 120mm Fan installed in the airlock for my Doom mod blows cool outside air over both the cards.

Last edited by Crimson Sky; 04-07-2007 at 07:28 AM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I pulled the shroud off mine because pretty much all the reviews said that it sucked, so I bought a Kingwin (NEVER BUY FROM THEM) heatsink that came without an important screw, so I used wire in it's place. The screw it was missing was like a mobo mount screw mah-dingie... so I improvised...

But yeah, put the shroud back on, I didn't have my heatsink on there right and the card would have boiled water it was so hot, luckily it wasn't "borked." So, yeah, put the shroud on or get another heatsink.

azminisk8r

lol well 1400 dollars of the build was xmas and the other 700 was bday and i pretty much didnt get anything else so yeah

and yeah im trying to figure out how to get it working first im getting post code 87, Build SYSID ...anyone know how to do that

and about the shroud, the fan that is on there is supposed to suck air away from those blades and when i get this thing working ill have 3 fans blowing on just the blades so basically im just prototyping

azminisk8r

sweet im up and running , posting from the thing now, looks cool too, going to home depot for paint soon, but still need to know how to get the fan blades off, plz help

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by azminisk8r View Post
    sweet im up and running , posting from the thing now, looks cool too, going to home depot for paint soon, but still need to know how to get the fan blades off, plz help
    You mean the case fans, right?, not the video card fan. Do put the shroud back on the 8800, that fan pushes air between the fins, it doesn't pull it. Blowin on the top will only cool the top of the fins and not most of it; they are very close together.

To take the blades off a case fan, do the following:
    1. take the sticker off the back of the fan
    2. there is a small plastic split-washer on the shaft. Use needle-nose pliers to remove it. Don't break it!
    3. the fan blades will slide off and if you remove the lubricant from the shaft and bearings, replace it with some more.
    4. put it back together in the opposite order.

That's the same case I want. :tear:
    You are one luck kid to get all that stuff. +rep

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    You are one luck kid to get all that stuff. +rep

You are one lucky kid, I payed for all $900 of mine minus the $200 my dad chipped in, working at KFC really pays off.

azminisk8r

dude i wish i could work, gotta wait another year... probably compusa or sumtin,

sorry it took so long to post, trying to OC to 3 GHZ w 6600, 2.4 G right now im at 2972.43 GHZ, and just about stuck. im not modding simply since my mom wont take me to home depot... damn 2 more years.
    but i did add in el wire to the mobo and my. uhm. "custom" fan filters,

laundry sheets