Page 5 of 108 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: TRIBALOVERKILL, "Blackout"

Custom Title Honors tribaloverkill's Avatar

Default Re: TRIBALOVERKILL, "Blackout" Updated--> 06/24/05

Ok,... I am a little bit annoyed,... argh. Well,... first, this post is temporary seeing that not all the pics I took the other day were uploaded due to the fact that my gurl didnt upload all of them, for whatever reason. But I'm not going to knock on my bone headed gurl in here. So I will post what I have. The pics that I really wanted to post are the ones she didnt upload, great. Here,...

Here I drilled out the mounting holes for the radiators.

Trying to get an idea of where the brackets are going to go and how big they need to be.

My new brackets. These radiators are new by the way. The enclosure is wider so I needed larger brackets this time around.

Brackets trimed, drilled, and installed.

First radiator in place.

Both rads in place.

I think they came out very well. It only took me like a couple of minutes to do this. I couldnt believe how easy is was.

The other side of the rads.

Now,... the pics that are missing are the pics of my efforts to install some plumbing. You know, connect the rads together and shorten the height of the barbs. Well,... I came across some problems. This is all new to me now seeing that everything up to this point I had already done with the last two enclosures. Anyways,... problem number one is,... I'm having trouble connecting the rads together. I originally was going to to use some elbows, solder the barbs to those and then use a small piece of hose. Well,... that is CLEARLY not going to work seeing that the ports of the rads are way to close. I then went back to home depot and got some 45 degree elbows,... once again, wont work. They are to close. So,... I then decided to just solder the barbs straight up and down as far in the ports as possible and then just run some hose in a bend to each barb. Well,... the height of the enclosurewont really allow that. I wish I had the pics damn it. Some options,... use the 90 degree elbows with a copper pipe connecting them instead of the barbs and hose. This would be the most easiest method but it would make the rads permenant. But its not like I would be removing all that much anyways. I could also,... cut to extra holes in the tube panel and run a loop outside the enclosure that would connect the rads together. Not really liking this method. I could also try and maybe bend my own elbows some how,... there really isnt all that much room at all. Crap. Second problem,... the tube panel, the width is kind of less then the total width of the barbs. So that would mean if the I/O hoses were to run straight up and down through the tube panel,... I would have to cut out holes on the edges of the panel. If I move the holes inward towards the middle of the panel I would have to bend the hoses over a bit to meet the holes. Now keep in mind the barbs are pretty close to the panels so the hose would be torquing the panels a bit. I'm going to have to think something up here. I am goign to post the pics first thing in the morning.

Ok,... here are the pics I wanted you guyz to see.

I have to screw that in.

Got them in. Easy.

I/O ports of the rads.

S@#$!

I thought this would work too but didnt fit

I soldered the barbs way in the rads to loop a hose between the two barbs.

Don't think the hose will bend that much

So,... read my possible options in my last update post. Let me know what you guyz think. I need some opinions.

Ok,... here are the pics from yesterday.

Here is how I will connect my rads together. It's a modified 45 degree elbow The barb had some of it's length shaved off too.

There's plenty of room for some 1/2" tygon tubing

Yo,... I uploaded the movie I made of me pressure testing the rads but it doesn't work. I think it has to do with the size of the file and the server. Is there a size limit? What is the limit?

I finished sanding. Tomorrow I will be cleaning and painting. Also,... I will be starting the windows

Here are some pics I took today I made the canopy frame! That was my favorite thing to make so far,... why? It was simple! LOL.

Here I am making the canopy which only turned out to be the frame seeing that I decided to use acrylic with it too. It's going to to have a tinted window too Notice how there are no round edges? Can anyone guess why it doesnt have round edges?

After I finished making the frame I broke out the router table and put it together seeing that I am going to need it to make my windows Not bad for $100.

I am going to make some windows this weekend

This is going to be a sweet update! Check it out,...

About ready to cut windows out of these rough cuts.

I'm going to tape the two pieces together so I can make two windows at the same time.

Now,... because none of the sides of these two pieces have a straight edge to work off of,... I have to make one. So,... I will tape these two rulers together to make a guide. One ruler will be the guide and the other will be a spacer to keep the router bit from cutting up the guide ruler.

The rulers taped together.

Now I am going to tape those rulers to the two pieces of acrylic.

Here you can see the rulers stuck to the acrylic just nice.

Here you can see how this is goign to work. You can see the cutting portion of the bit touching th eacrylic but no thte guide. Once the bit cuts thrugh the scrylic the collar, the bearing at the very top of the the router bit, will meet up and touch the ruler guide. The guide will keep the bit from cutting any deeper. The bit will roll off the guide cutting a perfecly straight line.

After the cut.

Heres the two pieces with the rulers up against the bit again. You see how the collar is touching the guide and the cutting portion is touching the acrylic? Sweet isnt it?

Finished edge.

Here the to two pieces cut down to size and awaiting their rounded corners.

I put more tape on the acrylic and used a right angle post level to do this.

The clear acrylic you see there has a router cut corner I made when I made my case windows. I used the post level to line the clear acrylic with the rounded corner up with the new acrylic.

After the cut. I did the same thing with this corner that I did to make the straight edges, that is using the rulers as a guide. This time I used and old piece of acrylic as the guide. ONe problem though,... you see the hard edge just before the the round corner starts? Thats because the guide was up to lcose the the eadge of the smoke acrylic. The collar on the3 router bit has a slightly larger diameter the the cutting portion so everything you cut using the collar will be a tad bit larger. In this case the rounded corner isnt completely round. Theres a way to fix this,... check out the next couple of pics.

I added these two pieces of card board, which are very thin because thats all you need, to push the guide back a bit.

When I put a straight edge up to the edge you can see the gap. It's very small but its enough to make a perfectly round edge.

After the gap was added. Some advice that I will give you is if you can't get your rounded corner perfect with the first couple of passes with the router and its only slightly off,... break out the sand paper and sand it round. That would be safer then trying to get it perfect by making slight adjustments to the guide and sending it through the router several times. Theres a good chance you will screw it up before you get it right.

Here, using the same method, I cut out the canopy window. I used the actual canopy frame as the guide this time.

The side windows completed, even though you only see one of them, and the canopy window.

Tomorrow morning I will be making the acrylic cap that will cover the shell. Thats going to be a bit more difficult to do seeing that theres bending required and I have to cut out for the rad holes. Seeing that I don't have a name for this mod,... I thought I would name it Blackout seeing that all the windos are blacked out What do you think?

Ok I finished the jig This thing is HOT! Here are some pics,...

First,... this is how you grind your drill bits for drilling the acrylic. Notice the slope.

Here is the othr side,... notice how it is flat. You want to drill bit to scrap its way through the acrylic, not cut.

If you do it right you should get alot of this.

Here I am about ready to drill the holes in the acrylic cap.

Here the cap is somewhat bolted down to the shell.

Heres one way I tried bending. Didnt work to well.

Heres the other way. Look familar? Well,... it didnt work to well either.

Here is my acrylic bending jig. It is flawless. I cant wait to use it. It is pretty obvious how it works.

The most important part is that you calibrate it so that the pipe is perpendicular with the boards. I used the router on the inside of the board so I know they are straight. All you have to do is figure out wher eyou want to bend the acrylic and then slide it in there and up against one of the boards so you know the acrylic isnt crooked over the pipe. Clamp the acrylic down and begin bending Sweet isnt it? HA HA!!! You can use diffent size pipes depending on how round you want your corners. Just make sure the pipe isnt crooked Peace out people. I'm going to bed. The gym has me whipped Night.

looks sweet. great job!
    "Hey look, the topic!! It's getting away! Quick catch it! *running* Must *running more* get on *panting* TOP...IC!!!! *collapses* "-Temmink
    Intel Q9450 @ 3.2GHz
    Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi
    OCZ Platinum PC3-12800 1600Mhz XTC 4Gb 7-7-7-24
    2 x Powercolor HD4870 512Mb in Crossfire
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Noctua 120mm 1300RPM Pressure Optimised Fan
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit w/ SP1

Ok,... before I go ahead and post the pics here,... I would just like to bring something to Gruntman's attention. I have been meaning to bring this up before never did. I wrote up a huge post with all the pics several hours ago. It took me a good 45 minutes or more. When I went to submit it the site logged me out and asked for me to log in. When I did that I lost my entire post I know with some forums once you log back in it will submit your post so that this doesnt happen. Just thought I would let you know even though you probably already know seeing that your the Gruntman. Anyways, seeing that my patience has worn thin I am going to make it short,...

Some sheet metal I bent to use for bending the acrylic. I actually bent two, one being over a larger pipe. I used the two to sandwich the acrylic into its bent form. I did this to keep the corners of the bend from curling up.

The acrylic after being bent. It came out great. Still though, there was a gap between the acrylic bend and the shell bend when the acrylic was placed on top of the shell. I ended up scratching the crap out of the acrylic trying to fix it.

This is what I am doing now instead of bending caps for the case and enclosure. I am making front panels. I am rounding the edges of all the acrylic so that they dont look so hard looking when bolted to the case and enclosure. Check out how flawless this front panel is! See the corner shot! PERFECT! I did this using the ruler-ruler method. The router fence was crap and didnt work at all I did it this way because the results are sweet!

Once again,... the ruler-ruler method.

Here is aproximately what the edges of the windows will look like. I cant round the edges of the round corners because setting it up is to hard and I will most likely mess it up. I have tried before and failed. So this is what the corners of the windows will look like. I kind of like it.

I made my own router fence using some strip steel. I thought it ouwld work good but it didnt. The rounded edges that it produced looks like crap. The original router fence was even worse. Look how crappy.

Although a bad pic,... this is what I got from using the ruler-ruler method. Its flawless.

Here is my very first attempt at flame polishing. It was easy! I am going to flame polish all my edges now! I used a propane torch. When you do it you have to make sure that your project doesnt bow because of the heat. If it does flatten it out before it cools.

Thursday is the next day I get to work on it. Can't wait