Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Cannons!

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

Default Potato Cannons!

For those of you who need another potentially expensive hobby...

http://www.spudtech.com/products.asp
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Potato Cannons!

Spudtastic!

+rep for a laugh
    Need a sig

my cousin made an air compresses spud launcher and he gave it too much air on the first test and it exploded. He had pieces of pvc stuck in him for a few weeks before he decided to dig them out.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Hey I can make these! haha, god I miss high school experiments gone wrong!

I like that rapid fire one, I can do some seriously fun damage with that baby.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

I made a small one that shoots out quarter sized marbles. I also shoot out screw drivers and glue sticks with firecrackers inside.

I have shot a marble through a 3/4 in thick piece of ply wood

Quote Originally Posted by public_eyesore View Post
    my cousin made an air compresses spud launcher and he gave it too much air on the first test and it exploded. He had pieces of pvc stuck in him for a few weeks before he decided to dig them out.
    lol. I know some people that have steel potato cannons. Someone guy fired a wet T-Shirt out of one and made a hole in his wall that went completely through the other side.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

wow, my school has one that we use to teach young kids about air pressure. They can be fun, but doing one in-doors at a wall is always interesting :p.

Potato guns are a lot of fun. You will get better range if you install some type of steel mesh while creating between the ignition chamber and barrel and use wadding. Toilet paper works well. If you're worried about it scorching the barrel or not supporting the potato all the way out, then wet it down.

There's also the option of the sabot. If you're using shot that's significantly smaller than your barrel, put it into the middle of a roll of TP or paper towels and crush the center tube. It's not perfect, but you will still get it out of the barrel without losing much energy.

I used to build potato guns with a drumline friend of mine back when I was a teen.

I've made a few in my time. They were aerosol powered, 3 seconds of propane and a shot of w-d40. The first one i made was only a caped section of 3 inch pvc. The only ammo that would fit it was huge apples. I had the police called on me for that one. A neighbor over the fence thought i had some sort of rocket launcher and hid in her basement. The cops were not amused, although they couldnt do anything because it wasnt loaded when they showed up, they had to give it back to me. The second one had a 1.5 inch beveled barrel with a 3.5 inch combustion chamber, assault style'd trigger grip, auxillary grip in the front and a towel wraped tip (to avoid potato juice accidents). Quite the potato gun...
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I'm thinking of building an air-pressure powered potato gun for firing at 30-45psi. Or maybe, I'll just make a combustion type (although fire is hot...).

Anywho, I've been thinking up plans. Don't be surprised if I have a cannon in the next year.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"