Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Okay guys, help me out with wiring

Default Re: Okay guys, help me out with wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    Do you have a picture of the bottom of the sound modules? Since they are transparent, you should be able to see the circuit-tracks so you can tell if it uses more than just the 12v line.

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Think you could elaborate on that a litle more? And give as much details you can for every single part of it. I wantto make sure I get this all right. And by switch, do you mean the switch that's already on it? I'll take pictures of the whole cathode device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Thanks.

The way I would wire it up is use that mic socket in the back of the PC case. Pic which two pins you like and make one positive and one negative.
    At the subwoofer end, split the postive into two wires and have that go through a switch into the sound modules. The sound modules look like they supply all power to to cathodes, so once they have power the cathodes should work.
    The negative lead will also be split in two and go to the modules.

Here's a quick circuit diagram I whipped up:

To go into more detail while referring to my diagram you'll still have to use some imagination.

Where it says power lead, that is what is running from your power supply to your subwoofer. However you decide to have the power come out of your case is up to you. All you need is the +12v and -12v wires. Whether that is wired into the socket and plug I suggested is completely up to you.

Take the +12v wire coming into the sub and split it so there is now 2 +12v wires. This will be the first solder joint. Each one of those +12v wires will go to a switch of your choosing. Just find an on/off switch you think will suit the mod.
    From the other side of those switches, have a wire go to a molex plug for each sound module.
    While I'm on that molex plug, you'll need the -12v wire comeing from the case to also be split in two and have a wire going to the -12v on the molex for each sound module.

Like this pic here showing the wiring splitting up and going to the molex connectors through the switches:

From there you join the wires coming out of the sound module straight to the wires going into the cathode inverter so you'll end up with something like this for each of the molex connectors above.

Each switch will control one sound module and one cathode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I suppose I could get an audio jack and hook the wires up to that an then plug it into one of the ports in the back of the computer, to give the lights power. I'm just kind of getting more con fused now though.

Austral Alien

An audio jack would be bad. You would need to use a plug and socket like I posted earlier. A standard headphone style jack will leave you at risk of shorting out the PSU if you plug in or unplug while the power is on. When one of those is halfway out the + and - can short. Like when you halfway unplug headphones and they go all screwy.

EDIT: this sort of plug is what I'm talking about that would be bad to use due to the risk of shorting out when removing:
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

It would short the power supply even though it wouldn't be plugging into the power supply?

Austral Alien

You need to get 12v from somewhere and that somewhere is the computer PSU.
    What else would you be plugging it into for power?
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I have no idea. I might as well just extend a molex cable with some copper wire and then plug it into a molex from the power supply, through the back of the case or something.

Austral Alien

The sub woofer itself will still need the separate wires running down to it from the computer speaker where it normally plugs in. The stuff I have show is simply for powering the lights off the computers PSU.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Austral Alien

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    I have no idea. I might as well just extend a molex cable with some copper wire and then plug it into a molex from the power supply, through the back of the case or something.
    That will work, but if you need to unplug it and move it, you'll need a hole bigger than the molex to get it through. That is why I suggested the plug and socket to be wired into the PSU for easy moving of the sub box.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

So where on the power supply would I wire it to?