Thread: Getting the most out of your thread

Default Getting the most out of your thread

Asking questions the right way.

1. First, the most important rule of all, RESEARCH THE TOPIC YOU ARE CONSIDERING POSTING ABOUT BEFORE YOU POST. Do us all a favor (yourself included) and visit Google.com before you ask a question. There are Google Wizards here, that will find everything you need and more, in 1 simple search. No they aren't magic, they just take the time to open their browser and go to Google. It will give you more results/responses and faster than posting it here first.

2. Don't word your question like this. "OMG I NEEED HELLLLLLLLP RIGHT NOW FAST HURRY IM IN MAJOR TRUBLE I CANT DO THIS IM ONLY *insert age* AND I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!111!!!!". There is just something about that that people don't want to deal with. It is a bad first impression, and people will think that's how the entire thread will be. A simple, "I'm having a bit of trouble with this, and any help would be much appreciated" would get you a lot farther.

3. A little background information never hurt anyone. If you have say, a temperature problem, a good way to ask would be, "For the past few days, I've been having some temp. problems in BF2. It starts about 10 min. into the game..." etc. It makes the diagnosis a lot easier.

4. If you have more than one question about various things, try to consolidate them into one general topic in the Chatterbox. We get an excess of threads when there is one topic for cooling, another for motherboards, PSUs, etc. all about the same system. It is also easier for us to answer all of the questions if we don't have to search around for them.

Naming your thread.

1. There is really only one thing to know about this. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Sometimes, a thread title like "Here we go again..." will garner attention, but again, we like things easy here, so give a little bit of information in the title. Problem with the 8800GTS overheating? A good title would be, "8800GTS Overheating issues".

Getting thread responses.

1. Don't make yourself look like a fool. Really, reading complaints that you aren't getting enough help from people who don't even have to help you at all is no way to make friends, or help solve your problem.

2. We can't always be here exactly when you need us, so give the thread some time before you get ants in your pants. You probably won't get a response after 10 minutes. You may not even get one after 3 hours. Sometimes it takes a day before you get one. It all depends on how active the forum is. Please don't *bump* your thread after 20 minutes. If it has been a day and you haven't gotten a response, a simple *bump* or "Does anyone have incite on this problem?" is all that is needed.
    RIP Bucko

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Getting the most out of your thread

This should be in the handbook. +Rep
    Need a sig

Overclocked

did you make this cuz of that one azmiuni guy?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOC View Post
    did you make this cuz of that one azmiuni guy?
    Not because of him, he was only a small contributing factor. It's been a slightly small problem since... well.. day one. As it is on any forum of any kind. Heck, its a problem in reality too. lol

Which reminds me... I really need to stop talking to james. That guy is so damn gay I swear...

lol yea, we all have that "friend" that no one likes, but no one can say GO AWAY too. This is a similar situation.. kind of.

BTW Mal, nicely done.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    ... Heck, its a problem in reality too. lol

Oh man oh man, tell me about it. My boss asks me questions (he should know already since he IS the boss), that I research, and then he asks me how I know this. I take him by the hand, sit him down at his computer, bring up google and type in the question. He looks at me like I am a FREAK or something. (well I am but that is a different thread) I have started answering his questions with one word; "Really?!?!" That has gotten to him...

Which reminds me... I really need to stop talking to james. That guy is so damn gay I swear...

lol yea, we all have that "friend" that no one likes, but no one can say GO AWAY too. This is a similar situation.. kind of.

BTW Mal, nicely done.
    I am the only one in my group of friends that knows how to say this. It is easy to say, harder not to be an a$$hat about it... I guess it depends on if I have time for the hassle if I am overly polite or not.

EDIT: BTW thanks Mal, +rep
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Very good guide +rep
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Yup, this is going in the handbook. +Rep dude.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

agreed; nicely done +rep

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast