Thread: Montana Highway Patrol mod (3-7-77)

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Montana Highway Patrol mod (3-7-77)

So it would seem that I have talked my way into yet another mod. Here's a link to the story that got the ball rolling:Great Falls Tribune (Fair Warning, you might get an annoying popup or two).

I went and spoke to Rob Saturday afternoon, told him that I would be interested in doing a themed computer for donation to the center. Got his business card, left my phone #, and asked a few questions as to what this computer would be used for so I could get an idea as to what kind of processing power that will be needed.

This machine will be used by the public solely for surfing the internet (basically two different pages--a history on MHP and one other page that escapes me at the moment).

One phrase in that last sentence really has me bothered: by the public. This machine will have to be able to take some abuse obviously.

As of right now, I'm thinking a standard windowed case painted black and gold (current colors of the highway patrol cars) with either a lightbar or perhaps a bubblegum light (think The Andy Griffith Show if you're having troubles picturing what a bubblegum light is) on the top of the case, and a MHP eblem mounted on the window.

Motherboard/CPU wise, my soon to be uncle in law (who also builds computers) has a AMD mobo/processor that he said he'd be willing to donate.

So this brings me to 3 mods @ once. My linux box (almost done, just need to get down to the farm supply store to get some square nuts, as odd as that sounds), the John Deere Tribute for my parents and now the 3-7-77 as I think it shall be called.

What is 3-7-77 you ask? It's a term that dates back to Montana Territory days. I recently found a great summary on one of the Montana government webpages:

The mysterious numbers 3-7-77, often posted on doors , were used for years as a symbol of banishment in Montana. But contrary to widespread belief, they were never used by the original vigilantes of 1864 who hanged Sheriff Henry Plummer. The numbers actually appeared for the first time in 1879 to warn “undesirables” to leave Helena. Today the numbers appear on the shoulder patch and car door insignia of the Montana Highway Patrol and are meant to convey a benign message of law and order.
    Other theories include dealings Free Masons back in the late 1800s, the idea that 3-7-77 refer to the dimensions of a grave: 3 feet wide, 7 feet deep and 77 inches long (roughly 6 1/2 feet), and lastly, I can remember hearing tales from previous generations passed down by their parents and grandparents that 3-7-77 was used as a ward against unknown vandals (or creatures) that would sunder the land and livestock. Tall tales most likely, but great campfire stories nontheless.

So off to Sketchup I go. Again. This should prove to be a very interesting mod if it pans out. Lots of ideas rolling around in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Do you have a second life?

Default Re: Montana Highway Patrol mod (3-7-77)

Nice sounds like a great and fun mod. Hurry up and post your sketchup sketches i wanna see pictures The colors sound great to Hope it all goes to plan.

Nice introduction to the mod...looking forward to it!

Public Use, huh. Talk about a challenge! Hey, wait a minute...that gives me an idea!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Very interesting story and project, this one will be exciting to see unfold. About this theory..
    Other theories include dealings Free Masons back in the late 1800s, the idea that 3-7-77 refer to the dimensions of a grave: 3 feet wide, 7 feet deep and 77 inches long
    Unlikely, I am a Free Mason and while Masonic lore does infact get a tad obsessed with geometry (especially ratios and dimensions), they have never in my knowledge given a crap about the size of a grave. Much more involved with the dimensions of buildings and secret chamber dimension ratios of those rooms. Cool premise though, can't wait to see this project!

I wonder if you could use one of those projectable keyboards thay sell for PDA's so the keyboard would be be safe from theft or vandals? And you could use a trackball modded into a larger fixed base so there is nothing to pull off the system and steal.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 04-15-2007 at 11:13 AM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

The Free Mason theory gets pretty well debunked. Supposedly in the 1860s, a gentleman asked for a Masonic funeral, and 76 other members showed up for the ceremony. Here's a quote from the same government webpage (google 3-7-77 and you can read the whole article if you like):

The idea of a specific Masonic origin for 3-7-77 was first advanced by historian Rex Myers in 1974, and it is tempting. The numbers three and seven have significance in Masonry and the number seventy-seven has a tantalizing place in the history of Masons in Montana. In autumn 1862, during the first season of the gold rush to Bannack, a man named William Bell fell ill with mountain fever. On his deathbed, he asked for a Masonic funeral, and seventy-six Masons came forward the next day for the ceremony. Counting the Mason in the coffin, the theory goes, there were seventy-seven Masons in all, and realizing their strength in numbers, they soon joined forces and formed the vigilance committee that cleaned up the gold camps.
    Theories theories theories. Truth of the matter is, no one knows for sure what 3-7-77 means. If I were to subscribe to any theory, it would be the one regarding the dimension of a grave.

My Flickr Stream

My soon to be uncle-in-law refurbished his previous computer for this project. It's up to me to add the finishing touches to it.

I can't recall the exact specifications of it, but I do remember him saying that it has a P4 1.4 Ghz processor and XP Pro. Also, it's housed in a black case with a window, so all I really got to do is some minor painting and play with some LED's and a relay of some sort.

This one is tentatively slated for Mid-June.

Which means I gotta finish one of the others up, or I'll get a bit overwhelmed!

My Flickr Stream