Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell_XPS_mods

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Dell_XPS_mods

My XPS is older than yours; it was either ordered or delivered on, I thing July 14th 1995. It's an XPS P120C. It came with a Pentium 120MHz. I should mod that one.

Got a few of these cases (one older Dell version, a couple Microns). They weigh about three tons, look like crap, and mounting hard drives is a bitch and a half.

You've done a good job, though, with what you've got! I keep thinking about sticking an 80mm further down but never get around to it.

Man, I miss Bucko. Once I get better (or maybe I don't need to?) I've got plans for a ratted-out case - maybe even based on the same Gateway he started with. (Got several of those around, too...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Thanks for the responses guys. I miss Bucko too, he was a great guy, may he rest in peace.

I finally figured out tentative plan for the case. As I said I have the side panel design already. That has been cut, still cleaning it up a bit then I need to figure out how I want to mount the plexi. I believe I should be able to fit a 120mm fan in one of the window sections of the sidepanel. I am going to finish the fan bay and temp monitor in the drive bay section. Lower on the front panel I decided to cut and bondo in a 92mm fan hole. That will be roughly where the Dell and model number badges are. As for paint I decided I am going to go two-tone. Not sure on the colors yet I might go with my school colors which are orange and brown. I also have some plans for LED lighting in various parts of the case.

For the time being I am going to house my dual P3 server system into this case when I finish it. As such I need to make a new HD rack that can hold 6 HDs (I have a SCSI RAID setup). The current HD mounting options are well unique, and really cruddy, so I'll have to fabricate something that can fit in the case.

BTW a few of you guys mentioned you have the other versions of the case. I am interested in front panels of various styles, seeing as they would be interchangeable I am interested in getting as many other style front panels as I can. It would be cool to lightly mod them to match and be able to quickly change out my front panel on a whim. I'd really like the older style XPS front panel, probably whatever micron ones there were too.

Hopefully I can get a new camera soon and show you guys my progress.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Ok finally got a picture, I used the webcam built in my laptop to get it. Real bad quality so this is not a permanent solution. Anyways enjoy:
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

nice work chucky keep it up good that u got around to this again
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

I've decided to try and wrap this project up soon. So I am diving straight into it. I've had a plan for how I want this to turn out for a while now. I already took care of cutting the window, now for the new front intake.

I setup an outdoor work area in my back yard using an old door and some saw horses. It's fairly easy to setup and take down, and keeps my messy work outside.

The case where I started for today:

This piece used to be the hard drive holder and parts of it are important to the structure of the case, however I didn't want to keep the hard drive there so previously I had trimmed off a large portion of it:

First up for today was to cut the hole in the front panel:
    Taped off:

Marking the hole:

Rough cut with the dremel:

Sanded down:

Then I cut a hole in the front of the case so the new fan will have clearance. This was my first time cutting metal so it was interesting. Kinda rough but it wont be visible with the plastic case panels in place:

Lastly I modified the shroud of an 80mm fan I had the died to use for a mount for a new fan in the case. Later I am going to attach and bondo this shroud to the front panel:

The case at the end of the day:

Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Imma watchin this one, want to see what it looks like in the end. Looks good so far!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

i like the window design. more interesting than just a big open window. also... nice use of a dead fan. very smart.

looking forward to seeing more.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules — and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.
    Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan

heh ye i did the same thing not tooo long ago... the fans r very useful..
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=18135
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

looks wicked.. never realised that awesome window chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!