Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding is dangerous I suppose (or maybe it's just me)

Default Modding is dangerous I suppose (or maybe it's just me)

First off, everything seems to give you cancer. Fumes from the solder, the acrylic cement, the sealant I'm using. They all can cause cancer when breathed in. Well, I've inhaled all of them, so hopefully I don't die. I also spilled the acrylic cement all over my hand. Speaking of adhesives, I also alwaysget super glue on my hands. Then comes the danger of working with tools. I've touched the Dremel bit while it was on, though I haven't hurt myself. But there's always the danger of cutting yourself or having a part break and fly at you (I've broken two cutting discs). And then comes the soldering. I've had drips of molten metal fall off of the soldering iron. And I must've burned myself at least 50 ****ing times tonight. I'm still not hurt though.

It's probably just me. I'm the one who put a can of Dr Pepper on his 8800GTX, and who puts expensive parts of carpet (and then takes pictures of them on the carpet). Perhaps this shall be the death of me, but at least I'll go out in style, and doing what I love. I need some air though >_>

Do you have a second life?

Default Re: Modding is dangerous I suppose (or maybe it's just me)

Sounds like ur having a bad night. Dont worry iv inhaled well not all of them only solder really but im fine and if inhaled quite abit. I get tones of glue on my hands doesnt matter really just wash it off as soon as u have a chance. Drips off the soldering iron GOD DAM THAT HURTS, i have had quite a few of them and solder balls jesus they hurt in the neck. My schools crazy lol. Last time i was soldering it spat up all over my face little tinny bits u can bearly see but ****ing hurt like hell, one on the eye lid hurt the most. Weird though i have glass's but they seam to get over them not safety glass's just normal everyday ones. So dont worry it isnt just you we have all had our fair share. Hope you dont hurt yourself too bad.

Cheers

Sam

I also often have bits of hot melted acrylic splatter on me. And even though I was wearing safety glasses, I did have one bit land right under my eye.

ooooouch Thats gotta hurt bad. I always to to protect my eyes first because Hot Melting anything could take my vision away and that would really suck. If im doing somthing and only need one hand my other hand is near my eyes, so i can still see but if i stuff it up i can just move my hand.

Cheers

Sam

Personal Protective Equipment.
    Safety Glasses, Dustmasks, Respirators, Earplugs, Gloves.
    Use them.

Keeping yourself safe while doing some potentially dangerous thing is far more important than any work or hobby.

I don't know how much clearer or more like a public service announcement I can make this.
    Wear PPE every time.

Overclocked

dont start worrying until you happen to have molton solder drop onto your thigh. You are suprised it hurts so bad because your wearing jeans. then you see the superheated solder found a hole. and later you have the opportunity to actually pull solder out of your leg because it burned a hole into you.

I swear this never happened to me, ever. i am the safest person around everything and never wear wool while poking PC parts.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

solder on ur thigh damn thats gotta hurt. This hasnt happen to me but other people at my school, They get a soldering iron and heat up a $1 coin for ages and ages then with the plies they throw it near someone, the person picks it up ( who doesnt want free money ) and BOOM super hot metal they are now holding in the hands.

Life is like an analogy...

thats just got to be a run of bad luck right now. maybe one of those days where things just go wrong. ive had a few of those.

the only modding related injuries ive had were from cutting discs. i didnt realize at first that you could shatter them by applying too much force. i had one of them explode while cutting some aluminum and slice me up in a few places. the good side of that... the disc was super hot so there was a minimal chance of infection. the downside... one of the cuts was on my neck (nothing serious... but i suppose it could have been). after that i learned not to cut with the discs aimed at myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

might I recommend a damp towel over your hand while working with solder, molten acrylic, or cutting metal with the sparks going towards your hand.

A good modder always knows where his towel is at.

I've got 3 towels laying around in here. Also, I always wear safety glasses when working with power tools. I sometimes wear a mask while cutting, but it steams up the glasses. Perhaps I should wear one while soldering though.