Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the Airbrush plunge.

Default Re: Taking the Airbrush plunge.

Well, there's no turning back now. I bought the air compressor from Menards. 2 gallon tank, oil free, built in regulator, $57. Now, I just need to order a brush, and buy some paints.

I have a question about the brushes now (again).

Which would you recommend to me now? Paasche VL or Paasche Millenium? I thought that the Millenium was better than the VL, but the Millenium is cheaper on CoastAirbrush, so I don't know which one to get. Both come with the same accessories (I think at least, I can't remember) but the Millenium is gravity feed I think? And the VL bottom feed? Which is better to have?

Thanks again to all of you guys, I've wanted an airbrush for a long time but I've never gotten around to actually pursuing it, and you are making it a lot easier.
    RIP Bucko

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Hey Commando,

I'm just about to bid on a HP-CS on eBay right now, brand new of course. Its about time I think - my Paasche VLS has seen its day and its getting quite old now.

EDIT: Mal, I'd go with the gravity feed. It allows for finer detail, as you don't have to use such high pressure to feed the paint in. However, they're both great. Have you checked out the VLS? For a bit more its a great airbrush.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Austral Alien

Hey Mal, if you buy the biggest compressor you can, you could buy other modding tools.
    Die grinders, air nibblers etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Woops, I lied. The Millenium is siphon feed, like the VL and VLS. I can't seem to find the VLS on sale anywhere, only the VLSTPRO, VL, and Millenium. Unless I get an Iwata or Badger or other brand. I think I'll either get the VL or Millenium. The VLSTPRO doesn't come with a hose or any of the other accessories the VL or Millenium comes with. I think I'll get this. Millenium looks good, but the VL still looks better.
    RIP Bucko

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Yeah,

The Paasche VL is a good first brush. Gravity feed is the best, but not critical. Gravity feed just helps because the paint is sitting on top of the needle ready to go, where as with gravity feed you start pulling back waiting for paint and it takes a second to suck up. It's just a little nerve racking for detailed work.

But just like I said, don't stress, the Paasche VL is a good first set. That little cutout in the handle is not that big of a deal.

I think Tybrenis should have some good things to say about the Paasche VL. It is a great place to start and learn. He's getting ready to buy a Iwata HP-CS and he'll probably notice the difference because he's been using the VL for a while but you wouldn't probably wouldn't even notice.

As the compressor goes, you should be good to go. Remember more air pressure is not always better. Your going to want the pressure around 60~80 PSI. But just get a feel for what you like.

Please feel free to keep asking questions. If you feel like your jamming up the board you can just PM me. I really am all about helping people getting started airbrushing. It can be a little intimidating and frustrating at first, but it really is an uber cool thing to get into. It will also totally take your modding skills to the next level.

I'm just about to bid on a HP-CS on eBay right now, brand new of course. Its about time I think - my Paasche VLS has seen its day and its getting quite old now.
    As for Ty. Awesome man. You'll love the feel of a professional tool. As for bidding, with shipping try to get it for under 100$. Retail with shipping it should cost 120$. If you can't get it under 100$ just order it from a retail place. Definitely make sure it's new. I think it would be way to easy to get scr2222d, with a used one.

I hope this helps.

I just placed my order for the Paasche VLS Set. I found that ArtSupplySource.com had them and they were $10 more than the VL, so I figured why not, I'll get that. Should probably be here in the next few days. Again, thanks for all of the help guys, and I'll probably be back for more when it arrives lol.
    RIP Bucko