Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would this work? (Computer Case Question)

Default Would this work? (Computer Case Question)

Hey, I'm one of those... uh, beginner modders. So, I was wondering about something, like most beginners do.

I have an eMachines computer and I was wondering if it would be possible to move everything inside it to a new case? I'm not sure if eMachines has specialized motherboards that only fit their PCs. If I was going to get a new case, it would probably be an ATX case.

If and when I get a new case, THEN I'll start the fun modding. (Lights, etc.)
    Oh, and if any other information is needed, just say so. I'll post it.

Default Re: Would this work? (Computer Case Question)

Ya you would be able to do that, but you would have to know what the specs are for your mother board.

Motherboard
    Form Factor: ATX,Micro....
    Dimensions:--.-,--.-

Alrighty. I'll check and post it.

EDIT:
    Okay, here's the Specs

Dimensions:
    Height - 9 inches
    Width - 8 inches

I'm not real sure if it's a Micro or an ATX. My guess is it's an Micro. There's a little emblem on the motherboard that says "MIC."
    Not sure what that means?
    Last edited by 0m3g4; 04-30-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Posting Specs of Motherboard

Anodized

One word of advice from lots of experience with emachines.....

I would replace the powersupply on it as soon as you can. I used to work at a computer repair shop and we would get at least one emachines per week where the powersupply has gone bad and actually fried basically everything in the pc. It would at least take out the motherboard, but usually took out the cpu and sometimes even the harddrive when it went kaput. As far as transferring your emachines components into a new case, you shouldn't have any problems, as there is a standard to where the mounting points are on a motherboard and case. There are differences when you are talking about a micro atx mobo though, since they are a bit smaller. But, there will be holes for them. If I'm not mistaken, it should be 8 different mounting points, 3 near the back, next row of 3 by the cpu and pci and agp slots, and 2 near the back, where the power plugs and memory are.

Um. That's sort of scary!
    That's for the input though. I'll probably be replacing the power supply!

As the the case information, thank you.
    I was hoping the motherboard wouldn't be a problem.

If anyone else has any comments, post 'em.
    Last edited by 0m3g4; 04-30-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error.

I think you'll be fine

Good Luck

Yeah, the eMachines I had was a Micro ATX. You can put it in any case really. You'll be able to put it in a Mid-Tower case, really any case will have holes for mounting it.

With your new PSU, don't be cheap about it. Buy one that is a decent brand name, with good reviews and good specs. Don't just buy a 500W because it's $15. I'd much rather buy a 350W for $15 from a good company than a 500W from a crap company any day.

And I don't think anyone else has said it yet, so, welcome to the forums man!
    RIP Bucko

Hey, thanks for the Welcome! I'm glad I found this forum. It's been a HUGE help in my "...How do I do that?" stuff.

Anyone know of any places (either websites or stores) that sell good, but somewhat low in price cases? (I'm in USA)
    Last edited by 0m3g4; 05-01-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Change in post.

Anodized

I'm a big newegg shopper myself. My experience with them is that they are very fast with their shipping and I have had no problems with products being damaged.

Hmm. I've been looking on NewEgg a lot. Is it better to go with a somewhat expensive case, rather a cheap one? From most of the reviews of the under $50 cases, they are very flimsy and have sharp edges. So, what's the price range I should be looking into?