Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Modder's Challenge #3: Vandal Proof!

Default Re: Modder's Challenge #3: Vandal Proof!

11PM Eastern, 9PM GMT. Once I have posted the front page I'll copy the entries here for you all to see.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Who will it be?

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

20 minutes...

18 minutes now and I'm DYIN' here!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by jdbnsn; 07-02-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Entry #4 from SabreNoose;

Heya TBCS

I have spent absolutely ages on this competition, its been a great challenge, and i have
    been really excited about getting to grips with it.
    I felt that the best way to do my work justice was to compile the images and videos as a
    web page. If this is an unsuitable format for use of the site, drop me an email and i
    will modify it so that it is suitable.

I hope you enjoy what i have done with it, so here is the link to my entry, entitled
    "Tamper-Proof"
    http://www.scotthomer.co.uk/apeviacase/

Entry #5 from chaksq;

Here is my plan to modify the Apevia X-Pleasure case to fit within the requirements of the TBCS Modder's Challenge 3: Vandal Proof Case. Below is my full proposal followed by a summary list of all my intended modifications to the Apevia X-Pleasure case. I have also sent three bitmap images as references to some of my larger modifications planned. Please note that none of my images are to scale.

Proposal:
    The intent of proposal is to modify the Apevia X-Pleasure case in such a way that it can withstand most major computer damaging accidents and also to withstand a physical attack intended to damage and/or ruin the computer. The primary causes of accidental or intentional damage to a computer are liquids, drops, overheating, theft or forced entry, attack on case, and interrupted power.

To counter liquid damage I intend for the case to be waterproofed. To obtain this requires extensive modification. First all gaps that do not get opened such as seams between the side panels with the exception of the access side panel would be permanently sealed through caulk, welding, ect. The left side access panel and the front bay cover panel would have rubber seals that become watertight upon closure. A cover would be constructed that would cover the rear I/O panel and all cables would be run though this cover in such a way that water or other liquid could not get in. For cooling purposes a “wet zone” would be constructed within the lower front section of the case. This would be completely sealed from the remainder of the case. The radiators for the water cooling setup would be placed within this area and could be cooled with air that is pulled into this area through the front grill of the case. To move air through the “wet zone” regular case fans would need to be modified in some manner to work even while wet.

The next modifications would be to shock proof the case. This will prevent damage to components in case of a large impact such as the case falling over. The most key part of this would be to create a suspended motherboard cage. The motherboard would be mounted on a tray mounted within a metal frame. This frame would be mounted in a suspension system designed to absorb sudden impact to the case. Also the hard disk drive which can be even more vulnerable to a sudden shock would also be mounted in a similar manner.

To prevent any type of serious damage as a result of over heating an intensive water cooling system would be put in place. Due to the fact that the case is entirely sealed any major component producing heat that could damage it would need to be actively liquid cooled. As in most systems the CPU and GPU would be water cooled. Also the north, bridge, south bridge, and ram would be water cooled. A fanless water cooled power supply would be used in the case. Also the hard drives would be secured to water cooling blocks as well. Any other component that could be water cooled would be. Temperature sensors would monitor the cooling of each of the described components and special software would power down the computer if any system were to exceed safe operating temperatures.

There will be several methods to prevent against theft of the computer system or it's internal components. All of the locks for different sections of the case would be unique and more complex than standard computer locks. Also there would be a anchoring system to lock the case in place on a table, desk, floor, ect. The anchor could be developed as a shaft permanently mounted to wherever the computer would sit, this would be in the bottom of the case and be locked with a padlock or similar lock from within the closed and locked case. (See the file “Chaksq_3_Anchor.bmp” for reference)

To prevent against a physical attack on the computer the case would be modified and reinforced. The side panel of the case would be replaced with a strong impact resistant material possibly a type of bulletproof glass. Wires both on the inside and outside of the case would be wrapped in strong shrouding to prevent them either being cut or pulled apart. Upon examination of the case any weak sections of the case would be reinforced to allow the case to withstand attack by hands or blunt object. For example braces could be installed across the side and if the hinges of the front panel are weak as many computer cases are they could be replaced with stronger metal hinges.

Another source of damage to the system could come from various power issues. This could be a loss of power, power surge, ect. To advert this issue a small UPC backup would be installed into the case. This would be placed where the PSU is normally mounted and the PSU would be moved forwards in the case and turned to face vertically to allow for more room in the case. The UPC would be wired to tell the computer to shut down or hibernate if a loss of power should occur.

Other forms of protection would be set up on the computer. All hard drives would be set up with raid mirroring to protect data in case of failure. Also software security measures such as firewalls, ect. Would be set up to protect the software of the computer. A tape drive or similar technology would be installed so that regular backups could be made. A fingerprint scanner could be installed on the case for passwords, ect. A special software-hardware interface would be set up to monitor various sensors within the case including comprehensive temperature sensors, water sensors, and shock and motion sensors to detect movement of the case. All of these sensors would be setup to trigger a power down of the computer should any part of the case seem to be compromised or danger to the case/components is detected. If possible special software could be set up to monitor the status of the computer remotely through the Internet. Also a cell phone bluetooth connection could be set up so key functions of the computer could be controlled wirelessly.

Summary:
    Waterproofing
    -Entire case is waterproof.
    -Fully sealed.
    -Special I/O cover backplate. *
    -Wet Zone: area inside of the case to place the radiators and anything needing outside exposure. *
    -Waterproof fans for use in wet zone. *

Shock Proofing
    -Motherboard mounted in a cage that is held into the case via a suspension system that absorbs the impact of falling over or being dropped/thrown. *
    -Hard drives are contained to prevent shock and impact damage. *

Water Cooling
    -Everything water cooled:
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Ram
    -North Bridge & South Bridge
    -PSU
    -HDs
    -Radiator mounted in front “wet zone”.
    -Connected with temperature monitoring system. *

Theft Prevention
    -Different locks for access of each section of case.
    -Anchoring system to secure to work surface. *

Case Reinforcement
    -Side window replaced with some type of impact resistant or bulletproof glass.
    -Cables wrapped in reinforced shrouding.
    -Reinforce weak spots (Extra bracing, stronger hinges)

System Security
    -All HDs are raid mirrored.
    -Backup tape drive.
    -Fingerprint scanner.
    -Sensor System: *
    -Water sensor.
    -Damage sensor.
    -Shock/Impact sensor.
    -Movement/motion sensor.
    -Remote monitoring via Internet.
    -Bluetooth cell phone link.

* Would need to be developed as a custom part/system.

Budget:
    I did not have the time needed to throughly research costs of the various modifications I have planned for the case.

I would like to thank TheBestCaseScenario.com for creating this unique contest. The contest sponsors for their various donations to the contest. And SpaceHonkey for sending me a SketchUp model of the X-Pleasure case, which I was unfortunately unable to use.

Thank you for considering my entry,
    Charles [chaksq]

Entry #3 from Ironcat;

Hi Y'all,

This is Ironcat, or you can just call me Mike if you want... anyway... here is my submission for the Vandal-Proof PC contest.
    I tried to think of as many ways as I could vandalize a PC and then how to cut myself off...
    It's all pics with text added so if some of it doesn't download or if you can't see/read it, please let me know and I will resend...

Congratulations!

Awesome presentation.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Second entry from Spacehonkey;
    Here is the Sketchup file for this entry;
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/j...E_case_Mod.skp

(use the viewer on this page to check it out or load Sketchup; http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=40 )

Well here is my design. I'm not so sure it stays within the guide lines of the challenge since my design is intended for a personal computer rather than for public use. I thought I would summit it and see what your response is.

I wanted to keep the original design untouched as much as possible and blend a few of the things I did change into the case. My design has fingerprint scanners to unlock the case's front and side panel instead of the basic key locks. When you open the front panel to access the drives you will have to punch in the correct number sequence to open the drives which are hidden using the stealth drive mod we have all seen. Now for the side panel there is another fingerprint scanner to unlock the panel but instead of a normal lock and using thumbscrews in the back, I used electric magnets on the inside of the steel case to hold the panel to the case. I'm not sure how much interference the magnets would have on the components but if it didn't affect the components I think it would be better to secure the case from the inside instead of using screws that someone can just unscrew from the outside. Also for the last security feature I would have light sensors on the feet of the case
    to trip whenever the case was picked up. To supply power to these add-ons there would have to be a modified PSU or another power cord run to the case since unmodified PSU's only provide a limited amount of power to the motherboard and switches when the case is turned off. All these sensors would be wired to some type of alarm system. I didn't go into detail on the part of the mod since it could be wired into a house alarm, a stand alone silent alarm or ear bleeding sirens. It would be left up to the customer. The basic prices for the items are fairly cheap.

Fingerprint Scanner: $80 - $150 x 2
    Keypad: $20 - $100
    Light Sensor: $10 x 4
    Magnet: $5

That's my rough price list and the basic plans I would use. Thanks for your time.
    - Spacehonkey