Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water cooling help

Anodized

Default water cooling help

ok icew deiced with all the new technogly and a lot being quite high temps i want to get a water cooling set up ive been reading up on it for a little bit and im a little wooried about the water block, as i want to get this set up for my currently rig that i will eventualy upgrade.

so im running an intel dual-core e6300 atm, and looking to be upgradeing to a q6600 or the next step up from that in a bit, but not sure if theres waterblocks that will surport both?

so basicly i was wondering if someone could help me make a choice for a realtivly cheaper water cooling setup?

bugget between $200-$250

but i want a high end rad and pump
    the waterblock can just be an average one, but i would like it be able to handlee the cpu's i mentioned before, and the res can jsut be a cheaper one.

also on a differnt notw while im here, what would be a good mobo to upgrade to? i was thinking of getting a new gen nforce one when they come out with 2 pic-e16x slots and some good cooling pipes.

now im not sure if i need to know my mobo soccket? cause i actualy have no idea what mine is or no idea how to tell what it is.

Default Re: water cooling help

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul View Post
    ok icew deiced with all the new technogly and a lot being quite high temps i want to get a water cooling set up ive been reading up on it for a little bit and im a little wooried about the water block, as i want to get this set up for my currently rig that i will eventualy upgrade.

so im running an intel dual-core e6300 atm, and looking to be upgradeing to a q6600 or the next step up from that in a bit, but not sure if theres waterblocks that will surport both?
    Right, so since there both socket 775 you can use the same water block for both.

so basicly i was wondering if someone could help me make a choice for a realtivly cheaper water cooling setup?

bugget between $200-$250

but i want a high end rad and pump
    the waterblock can just be an average one, but i would like it be able to handlee the cpu's i mentioned before, and the res can jsut be a cheaper one.

what do you want to cool, just the cpu to start with?
    here is a list i put together for the cpu all in 1/2"

Swiftech APOGEE GTX Extreme Performance Universal Water-block

ThermoChill PA120.2 Dual 120mm Radiator

Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump

thats a basic setup with no res. i will add more like tubing, fans, etc once you get more specific.

also on a differnt notw while im here, what would be a good mobo to upgrade to? i was thinking of getting a new gen nforce one when they come out with 2 pic-e16x slots and some good cooling pipes.

well i've got the EVGA neforce 680i a1 board, but i don't have the cpu, ram, video card or monitor yet so i can't really tell you myself that its good or bad. all the reviews say its one of the best boards out there right now.

now im not sure if i need to know my mobo soccket? cause i actualy have no idea what mine is or no idea how to tell what it is.
    its socket 775
    hope it helps
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

thanks a lot man! that helps a lot.

lol yea i frogot to mention i just want to start out with cooling the cpu but i wanted to be able to add a gpu block for the future. (im just funning a 7600gs and dont really think its worth water cooling it). its really nice of you to reply to i asked about the mobo on a differnt fourm and they told me to **** off cuase i didnt no my mobo soccket witch is pretty noob i guess but im learning.

hmm i also got a couple more question if you wouldnt mind asking me.

would i be better off getting 3/8 or 1/2 tubing?

and is a plexi res a good idea? cause i did see this res that fits into your drive bays and was made out of plexi i heard some pexi stuff isnt good for water cause it has a chance to crack. the reason im wondering aobut that res is i dont have a lot of room in my case but i od have a few spare drive bays.

or would a t-line be better? i know thats a lot hard to bleed and set up but and this is my frist setup so maybe im better not using one.

np, i love to help.

well i've never really been to other forums, just overclockers, and both experences have been great. this is the only real forum i've actually stayed and look at way to much. like others say, we all started as noobs at one time or another.

from what i have gathered 3/8 and 1/2 is for the most part prefrence but 1/2 provides more flow and there for more cooling.

any brand name sold plexi res should be fine and people make there own all the time with plexi/acrylic. i'm guessing your talking about these kind? if you have the room, which it sounds like you do then i would go with a res since its easier to fill and bleed. it also put more water in the system which then takes longer to heat up and lower temps to start with.

that pump i linked to should handle a cpu, 2 gpu's and maybe a north bridge on top of that. it depends on the blocks and what kind of flow that have.

i just realized the above products i listed in my first post add up to 269.99. if you want a complete cpu kit with a slight down grade in the rad and water block (but there still both good products) you can get this complete kit for 259.99. i don't normally recommend kits as for the most part they are a waste of money this swiftech kit is made up of there parts which are good so this is one of few good kits.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

ea these fourms are the best very insprational to and people are nice on it also.

yea i had herad that but i herad 3/8 can be better when theres not muhc room or when you need to twist it alot cuases its hard to kink, but i wont need to twist it so i think 1/2 will be best.

yea thats the sorta im talkgin about i reaken they would look cool at thw front with some uv dye in it.

sweet so its a pretty sturdy pump and will last me for a bit by the sounds think i will look into that one.

but do you have any surgestest of other rads? maybe one slightly cheaper like around the 90-105 mark?

hmmm im actualy thinking i might need to save my pennies a bit more cuase those prices are all american arnt they.. and i live in austrilia so i think that would end up being a lot more pricey.

from what i hear from just about everyone is its way better to buy all the parts, cause the kits are overpriced and normal suck even the better ones?
    so id actualy like to buy all the parts.

ea these fourms are the best very insprational to and people are nice on it also.

yea i had herad that but i herad 3/8 can be better when theres not muhc room or when you need to twist it alot cuases its hard to kink, but i wont need to twist it so i think 1/2 will be best.

yea thats the sorta im talkgin about i reaken they would look cool at thw front with some uv dye in it.

sweet so its a pretty sturdy pump and will last me for a bit by the sounds think i will look into that one.

but do you have any surgestest of other rads? maybe one slightly cheaper like around the 90-105 mark?

ThermoChill PA120.2 Dual 120mm Radiator for Lower CFM Fans for 119.99

Swiftech Radiator - MCR220 Quiet Power Series Dual 120 mm - Black for 42.99

Black IceŽ GTX Gen Two Xtreme 240 Highest Peformance Radiator for $99.95

Black IceŽ GT Stealth 240 XFlow Highest Peformance Radiator for 54.99

Black IceŽ GT Stealth 240 Highest Peformance Radiator for 49.99

Black Ice Xtreme 2 X-Flow Radiator - Black for 59.99

Black Ice Pro II Compact High Peformance Radiator - Black for 35.99

so those are a bunch of rads that i would choose (i've never water cooled just read up on it alot, i will hopefully water cool my gaming rig but i need to get it built first) if money was no option i would go with thermochills. i personally am going to buy the swiftech one plus a single 120mm one to cool my 8800 and Q6600. the rest will do the job but if you wanted the best possible cooling then it goes to thermochill.

hmmm im actualy thinking i might need to save my pennies a bit more cuase those prices are all american arnt they.. and i live in austrilia so i think that would end up being a lot more pricey.

well you will have lots of friends here, a bunch of people are from australia.

from what i hear from just about everyone is its way better to buy all the parts, cause the kits are overpriced and normal suck even the better ones?
    so id actualy like to buy all the parts.
    thats true but with the swiftech kits they put the parts that you would buy separate into a kit so it saves money and is good.

Anodized

ok well looks like im gonna be end up spending 500+ au on a decent water cooling set up =[. but i wont have the money for a while lol. and a bit of a cahnge of plan i wan to order from an aussie website and i can only find one that has a decent range, so i think ill buy all my parts from them, and it works out to be about 480.

the parts i think ill choice are: (can you tell me if this is a good choice or if theres any thing esle i need please)

Swiftech Apogee GTX Waterblock = $109 au

Swiftech MCP655-B 12V Pump = $139 au

Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 240 = $99 au

Tundra Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir, UV Green = $50 au

Norma Hose Clamp
    x 10 = $20 au

ClearFLEX 60 Premium Tubing (1/2") 2 meters of it (think thats enough) = $15 au

should i buy one of these also?
    CoolerMaster Thermal Conductivity Fluid

or

Zalman ZM-G200 Anti-Corrosion Coolant

or

Swiftech HydrX Coolant

and ill proubly get a uv blue dye to.

is therea ny thing else ill need for a water cooling set up?

ok now is there any thing esle i will need to set it up? like i mean ANYTHING! i dont wanna have to go out and buy more stuff when i get it id rather have it all right away.

and a couple more question if you dont mind me asking them.

what do i cut the tubing with?
    wheres the best place to mount the rad and how do i mount it there? i was thinkgin mouniting it on the top and cutting holes out for the fan but then would the hot air from the case affect it?

will i be better off paying 10 dolars more to get a Black IceŽ GT Stealth 240 XFlow Highest Peformance Radiator?

and about how much distilled water will i need (i read thats the best to ahve in it?)

and again thank you SOOOOOO much for your help its really nice. i ask so many question cause i really like to be sure of stuff before i buy it.

ok well looks like im gonna be end up spending 500+ au on a decent water cooling set up =[. but i wont have the money for a while lol. and a bit of a cahnge of plan i wan to order from an aussie website and i can only find one that has a decent range, so i think ill buy all my parts from them, and it works out to be about 480.

the parts i think ill choice are: (can you tell me if this is a good choice or if theres any thing esle i need please)

Swiftech Apogee GTX Waterblock = $109 au

good

Swiftech MCP655-B 12V Pump = $139 au

good

Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 240 = $99 au

Tundra Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir, UV Green = $50 au

good, but why are you going with UV green if you want to add UV blue dye?

Norma Hose Clamp
    x 10 = $20 au

i would really recommend going to a local hardware or plumbing store as you can get those alot cheaper, ebay might work too.

ClearFLEX 60 Premium Tubing (1/2") 2 meters of it (think thats enough) = $15 au

sounds good, thats what i will end up with when i start to water cool probably

should i buy one of these also?
    CoolerMaster Thermal Conductivity Fluid

or

Zalman ZM-G200 Anti-Corrosion Coolant

or

Swiftech HydrX Coolant

i would get this one

and ill proubly get a uv blue dye to.

is therea ny thing else ill need for a water cooling set up?

fans, i've heard 80CFM or higher, i'm looking at these panaflow fans. delta's are one of the best but with a big price tag.

ok now is there any thing esle i will need to set it up? like i mean ANYTHING! i dont wanna have to go out and buy more stuff when i get it id rather have it all right away.

just basic tools for the screw clamps and mounting things, exacto knife to cut the tubing, thermal compound for the water block, this is one of the best right now.

and a couple more question if you dont mind me asking them.

what do i cut the tubing with?

i would just use a exacto knife and saw at it and try to make it a straight cut, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

wheres the best place to mount the rad and how do i mount it there? i was thinkgin mouniting it on the top and cutting holes out for the fan but then would the hot air from the case affect it?

i plan on mounting my rad, pending i water cool, on top of the case. i will put risers (like the motherboard ones but longer) and have it maybe 2" from the case. then mount the fans on bottem blowing up, but i will mess around to see what works best. i wouldn't bother cutting a hole if you raise it up enough.

will i be better off paying 10 dolars more to get a Black IceŽ GT Stealth 240 XFlow Highest Peformance Radiator?

while i'm confident in recommending some parts i don't want to have you waste money so i'm going to recommend you check out ocforums for detailed information. with that site the focus on the parts and performance rather than the looks.

and about how much distilled water will i need (i read thats the best to ahve in it?)

this is quoted from OCforums, number of users and overall percent
    25/75% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water 104 12.41%
    10/90% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water 232 27.68%
    5/95% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water 71 8.47%
    Zerex super protector(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration. 60 7.16%
    10/90% Zerex super protector(or equivalent)/distilled water 58 6.92%
    Windshield washer fluid. 9 1.07%
    Water Wetter(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration. 71 8.47%
    5/95% Water Wetter(or equivalent)/distilled water 68 8.11%
    plain distilled water 106 12.65%
    Any of the above with bleach or any other biocide. OR OTHER PLEASE LIST BELOW! 59 7.04%

so i would maybe half the bottle of the swifttech hydrx stuff and the rest distilled water.

and again thank you SOOOOOO much for your help its really nice. i ask so many question cause i really like to be sure of stuff before i buy it.
    here is a list of websites with supplies, there might be a cheaper place to get parts or a place with a bit more selection.

Anodized

ok cool

and thanks for the hardwar store hint i acrtualy perfer buying for a local store by none aroudn here have water cooling stuff.

arrrr there is something i frogot and you frogto lol . whats the best fans for the rads? i hear the themal take ones are pretty good? id prefer ones thats arnt that noisey but still have good cooling popertiys what would you surgest?

the reason im getting uv green res is cause its the only one that site has id actualy perfer a clear one but they only have the uv green ones and this other nice looking one but it has 3/8 fittings and im gonan run 1/2. but im thinkign it might be ok cause when i egt aroudn to modding to im gonan put a mesh front panel on and would put a mesh covering the res and would look pretty cooling glowing though the mesh i hope.

oh with the rad i wasnt very clear see i ahve a great picture in my head of the case, but basicly i ment inside the case but at the top like next to the power supply and would go into one of the drive bays, the the fans are screwed on top of the rad and you cut out the holes in to top of the case so the hot air or the cold air can get in (havnt decied push or pull yet) i reaken it would look very sweet like that maybe with some nice fan grills on the top. might even help some of the hot air get out at the top to.

that list is good but id perfer to buy over here and i know someone started the aussie modders list and i checked all the sites and that one seem to eb the best for water cooling.

also your computer set up sounds liek your egtting quite a few ideas hope that turn out for you when you start it =].

you could get tubing from the local hardware store too, just try to get thick stuff so it's less likely to kink.

for the fans, i've heard 80CFM or higher, i'm looking at these panaflow fans. delta's are one of the best but with a big price tag. the panaflows at full speed are 41 DB so thats a bit loud so you can drop the voltage and still get 80cfm. you might get away with 4x 65+CFM fans instead of 2 80+

ahh i see what you mean for the rad, i wouldn't worry about the heat from other things. what are you system specs btw?

i'm building my first rig ever so i hope it works haha, so far i've spent about 1100 CDN with about 1900 to go.

here are the specs

Have
    Enermax Uber Chakra
    Logitech G15
    Logitech MX Revolution
    LG H26N SATA DVD Burner
    EVGA-NF68-A1 680i
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb
    Enermax 850watt DXX

Don't have yet
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    Samsung 226BW
    mushkin 2GB PC2 8500
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb

waiting until i have the computer built
    Swiftech APOGEE GTX
    Swiftech STEALTH GeForceŽ 8800
    Swiftech Radiator - MCR220
    Swiftech Radiator - MCR120
    Swiftech MCP655
    Swiftech MCRES-MICRO
    ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
    Logitech Z5500