Thread: Ual 737

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Default Ual 737

Hey guys, thought I'd post some pics of my 737 case here, now that it's finally done (well, aside from a minor repair). My worklog is much to extensive to repost here, so if you want more details, feel free to check out all 26 pages at gruntville.com. Enjoy!

Its history in a nut-shell:
    This case was made for my dad, who is a retired United Airlines mechanic with 35 years of service. He primarily worked on the Boeing 737s, hence the case design. I fabricated it totally from plexiglass. The Jet-7 is the only thing not hand-made. I even built a special vacuum-forming table for the sole purpose of forming the outer shell. The slimline slot-loading DVD/CD drive is hidden in the wing as well as the kb/m receiver, and the rear horizontal stabilizer serves as the mouse's docking station and charger.
    Anyone know who the pilot is?
    Last edited by Boddaker; 09-23-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: relinked pics
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Default Re: Ual 737

Well, here are some closer-up shots of the shell's damage. The worst part is just above the I/O panel area. I had taped all the smaller fragments together and stuck it on the buck for the pic.

I think I have a game-plan, now that I can see it all in front of me:
    ~ Cut out all the round windows prior to gluing.
    ~ With both pieces on the buck, start taping it together.
    ~ Once taped, remove it from the buck, turn it over and start gluing it from the inside.
    ~ I think I might look into a fiberglass repair kit, and use that on the underside along the cracks to add strength.
    :arrow: For the top, I will sand down the paint, apply some bondo to even out any areas that aren't level, and sand smooth.
    ~ Repaint the shell.
    ~ Add a new, clear strip of plexi behind the window area.

I'll keep you all updated as to the outcome. Hmmm, maybe I should start a worklog on this!

Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

I didn't see a "contests" section here, so I thought I would add this on to my own thread. I am one of the 6 finalists in Extremetech's case mod contest. A winner was chosen every week for the last 6 weeks and got a very cool case and power supply from Cooler Master. Now we are in the running for a Core 2 Extreme gaming system worth about $2000!

Here all 6 of the finalists together, in order:
    (pics link to their description & more pics on Extremetech)

WEEK 1 WINNER: Batman Begins

WEEK 2 WINNER: UAL-737

WEEK 3 WINNER: Patriot Plexiglass

WEEK 4 WINNER: Han Solo Carbonite

WEEK 5 WINNER: Unidyne Mic

WEEK 6 WINNER: Skeleton

Grand prize winner will be announced this Friday, August 11th. Good luck to all!

Thought I'd post an update on the ol' 737. After a few more months of working at it on and off, I finally got the shell repaired. It looks better than it did before! Once I got it fixed, I had my Dad ship the rest of the case back to me so I could put it back together. Timing was good, because it just so happened the GeforceLAN event was coming up. I took it down there to mark its triumphant return, and ended up winning 1st place in the case mod contest in the Best Original Case category! w00t!!
    Here's a shot of it on display at the LAN:

I will be sending it back to my Dad, but not before building a special reinforced and well-padded crate to ship it in.

Link To Original Thread
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 05-06-2007 at 02:04 PM.